IGNORED

Fundies in McD's?

icecreamycakeycake

I found myself sitting across from a likely "quiverfull" family during my dinner break last night. My interest was immediately piqued because the family consisted of parents, 7 children close in age, and an elderly woman in a head covering. Was this enough to make assumptions? Not really, so I began assimilating information. In the end I ascertained that this family was definitely not Fundy, and my conclusions are as follows...

1. Fundies would never supersize-The younger children were not eating happymeals, they had large fries and sodas, no one was sharing, and one of the tweens was drinking a Mcflurry (or something like that).

2. The clothing was all wrong-The boys were in jeans/khakis that were somewhat tight, almost to the point of defrauding. This was a style choice, they were most definitely not in clothes too small. The Mom from the waist up, appeared to be in a frumpy dress with a bolero-type, her hair was long and pulled back in an unflattering style and she wore no make-up. When I got a full view her bottom half was bulging from a too-tight khaki skirt and I could see defrauding panty lines.

3. Attention to the little ones-The youngest started to fuss, and the Mom tried to calm her down even though she was sitting next to an older sibling, and eventually carried her HERSELF (with a second little one in tow) to the bathroom. As she walked past me, she gave me a genuine and knowing smile, mom-to-mom as if to say "babies can be fussy".

4. Grandma-I had a difficult time assessing Grandma (couldn't see her well) but I finally figured out she was in a babushka or a crypts gang bandanna (eventually eliminated, see#6).

5. Bags- There was a large Lego store bag on the stroller. Someone was getting expensive toys.

6.Language-They were speaking a foreign language, not fluent Xian.

They appeared to be a very close, large, Russian family, that just happens to love children. I enjoyed them.

Mom took the little ones to the bathroom herself? Definitely not Quiverful. Plus, don't you realize you have to rub elbows with the children of nasty heathens when you go to the LEGO store? No self respecting headship or helpmeet would allow that. Not to mention they would have made a big show of praying, just so you could temporarily see the reflected light of God and give up your sinful ways. ;)

What the fuck is fluent Xian?

Any subgroup of the population is going to have phrasing and terminology and quirks of the language that belong just to them. Speaking like other members in the group is a way of saying that you belong with that group.

Like, here on FJ, people are inclined to call minor errors in posts 'riffles' because of something or other that happened in the past. There's no real function there that can't be solved by calling them "mistakes" or "typos" instead, but using the special jargon lets us all know we belong together.

And you know, learning military slang is part of being a service member, and doctors have their own terms (even excepting medical terminology) that they use, and sometimes you'll find that a school has its own special slang, that sort of thing. And even smaller groups have their own special terms. I bet you can think of a few phrases or words that were only used in your own family and not by other people.

It's a fact that very religious Christians also have their own little jargon, which people gleefully make fun of here, probably because a lot of it does sound really stupid. They talk about "purposing" and feeling "convicted" and "blessings" and so on, and even when they're using standard terms they often do so in a way that's different from how people would normally use them. It's no different than dressing a funny way to show how pious you are, except modesty choices are generally conscious and I'm not sure language choices are.

That's all. If you use the search function, and were asking seriously rather than just to annoy, I'm sure you'll find detailed glossaries in posts... somewhere.

What the fuck is fluent Xian?

Tell us a little about who you are Hbkfangirl and why you seem so angry.....or should I be getting out my nail polish and cake?

Tell us a little about who you are Hbkfangirl and why you seem so angry.....or should I be getting out my nail polish and cake?

I read that as nail polish cake. At I thought what the fuck is ;) is a nail polish cake and that perhaps it wouldn't taste so good, unless it was cake in the shape of nail polish. Sorry it has been a long cold medicine induced haze of a day.

I was just thinking that I need to take off the month old polish on my toenails. Seriously. I do. If the converstation turns to polish color. I will be happy to get some new color ideas.

They have been banned for being a sock according to a mod on another thread they were disrupting, so no need :D

I was in Wendy's and a Mennonite family came in and ordered all the normal junk everyone orders at Wendy's. They were all wearing home made pants, home made shirts, funky hair cuts and hats. No different eating habits than anyone else. Frosties for everyone.

Archived