IGNORED

Hot isn't a compliment

dairyfreelife

Hot is your steak just off the grill – ready for you to tear into it with your sharp teeth and devour it.

A woman is a compelling novel – secrets and twists waiting to be opened, read, and enjoyed.

But steak is great and so are some novels. Just because they are enjoyed differently doesn't mean they aren't as equally enjoyable. Though I can't see my boyfriend comparing me to a steak or a novel, but that might be because he tends to think of me as a person and not as an object, but I digress.

meghancarver.blogspot.com/2012/07/is-hot-compliment.html

I kind of agree, there are some instances where someone will use the term 'hot' and it just feels skeezy or objectifying, and I do agree there are better words to use than 'hot' to describe someone or compliment them, for me.

In saying that, the way the blog seems to make negative connotations is not actually of the use of the word hot, but of the 'hot woman', ie devouring, scolding, burning etc... its clear that the writer/blogger is basically saying the 'hot woman' will lead you to sin and scold/burn you with her ways.... or am I just reading too much into things this morning? :D

I kind of agree, there are some instances where someone will use the term 'hot' and it just feels skeezy or objectifying, and I do agree there are better words to use than 'hot' to describe someone or compliment them, for me.

In saying that, the way the blog seems to make negative connotations is not actually of the use of the word hot, but of the 'hot woman', ie devouring, scolding, burning etc... its clear that the writer/blogger is basically saying the 'hot woman' will lead you to sin and scold/burn you with her ways.... or am I just reading too much into things this morning? :D

No, I don't think you're reading too much into it because that was my first thought. I'm also not a fan of the word hot, but still use it occasionaly.

Some people have a problem with the compliment hot or sexy. I think it's because there's an implication of sexual attraction to it. As in, I find you attractive, and it makes me want to be sexually intimate with you. Whereas beautiful or pretty tends to mean you are attracted to their outward appearance in a more innocent context. Does that make sense? I would call my brother handsome, but not sexy. I would call my boyfriend either. Either way, referring to a woman as hot OR beautiful is still a compliment on outer beauty, so it doesn't grind me the wrong way.

My 8 year old son, out of the blue, started going on about some girl at school being 'hot' the other day :shock:. We had a little chat about being respectful to women.

I generally take "hot" as a compliment. It's not my favorite, but I wouldn't really mind if someone described me as hot. I think ExoticFamiliarity is onto something about the context of an attractive woman being dangerous though. That's an interesting way to take it.

ETA: Reading some of the comments, it's apparently okay if your husband calls you hot. But coming from anyone else it's disrespectful. I don't quite understand that double standard.

At my age I'd be quite bloody happy to be called 'Hot' by anybody.

I also like steak.

I have no problem being called hot and, in fact, it can make me feel pretty damn good.

To me, it most certainly is a compliment.

Fail, Meghan. You really do not know all.

What am I? A lion? A barracuda? Something that only has one type of teeth for a very specified diet rather than a primate with three distinct styles of teeth that allow for a wide range of foodstuffs to be consumed? Only four of my teeth are pointy, and I wouldn't call them sharp.

A woman is a compelling novel – secrets and twists waiting to be opened, read, and enjoyed.

For some reason this strikes me as more offensive than "hot," which I think is rather uncreative but not offensive.

Maybe it's that she is literally comparing women to objects? Or she thinks that, like a novel, whatever a woman says is ultimately fiction?

For some reason this strikes me as more offensive than "hot," which I think is rather uncreative but not offensive.

Maybe it's that she is literally comparing women to objects? Or she thinks that, like a novel, whatever a woman says is ultimately fiction?

It sounds more like she's saying women only exist to be used by the "reader" (in other words the man).

It sounds more like she's saying women only exist to be used by the "reader" (in other words the man).

It also sounds like more of the "oh women are just so complex and complicated" jargon.

My husband tells me I'm hot. I like it.

My boyfriend tells me I'm hot. I don't mind at all. I actually like it.

My husband calls me hot or some variation on it daily (hot babe, etc). I do not find it offensive, even if he does want to devour me...especially not if he wants to devour me! :twisted:

He also calls me beautiful, smart, awesome, and so on. That he considers me hot does not mean he does not also find me interesting in many other ways and it shows in actions and words.

Archived