IGNORED

Beyond Belief on the Virgin Mary

xDreamerx

On ABC (CHCH for Canadians who don't get ABC), in case anyone cares to turn in. It's about people who profess to have seen her etc.

I'm watching it now. I have heard of some these places and sightings before. The New Jersey place was feature on Dateline or some other program last year.

Really? Interesting. I have to admit I was a little surprised to see Alabama on the show. It's not area where I would expect to find many Catholics. It was an interesting insight into folk Catholicism for lack of a better term.

Really? Interesting. I have to admit I was a little surprised to see Alabama on the show. It's not area where I would expect to find many Catholics. It was an interesting insight into folk Catholicism for lack of a better term.

I lived in Alabama for a few months during college as part of a transfer program. At the time I was practicing Catholic and there is small Catholic presence in Birmingham area. Mother Angelica, a nun who had a show on EWTN lived in a convent near the Birmingham area and she had a good network of connections there. During my time in Alabama, I became friends with a Catholic classmate whose family attended a good sized parish in one of the Birmingham suburbs. Most of the parishioners were of French, Italian or Irish heritage. Shortly after when I left AL, I heard about the Marian apparitions there and my friend's brother was going to that area to pray for a friend who suffered brain damage. I haven't been in contact with this friend in awhile and she doesn't know that I'm atheist now.

Folk Catholicism is a good description for what you saw. I grew up in New Mexico and folk Catholicsm is a big thing. There are actually laypeople groups that have devotions to the Virgin Mary and they make pilgrimages to the Santuario de Chimayo often.

Part of my family is from Cullman, Alabama. The Shrine Of The Most Blessed Sacrament, the monastery she opened (she more or less actually created EWTN) is in a nearby town. That area used to be heavily Catholic. Cullman has the beautiful Ave Maria Grotto, a collection of beautiful shrines and miniatures done by a monk from the area.

I was shocked to realize that that part of Alabama was so Catholic. Could have fooled me with the Baptist churches on every corner.

(Last time I was down there, I went to the Shrine (for fun!). I was asked to leave because my shirt was sleeveless. And I was so careful to wear modest clothing otherwise!)

Archived