IGNORED

Can't make this stuff up, aka truth = stranger than fiction

MamaJunebug

The woman who did my manicure tonite told me how oddly her work day had started. I'll try to give just the facts.

A walk-in customer, new to the shop, wanted her shoulder-length hair cut -- nothing outrageous, just to chin-length. She had her two friends with her and as is the custom with young ladies, they moved around as a unit.

At the shampoo bowl, the customer got a call from her mom. When she truthfully told her mom where she was, the mom began screaming in anger, told the girl if she got her hair cut she (Mom) would cut off her phone service, her car insurance, and she would not sleep in her own bedroom but on the couch.

The customer said, "Mom, I'm 19 and it's not going to be that short.". The mom hung up on her, and by the time they got to the stylist's station her phone was indeed dead.

Mom called on one of the friends' phones, said the dad was en route home and livid. Mom said the customer was to come strsight home to face her parents. The customer said it was too late (the hair was cut) and that she'd need to be at church to sing as usual before going home. !!!My ears twitched at THAT bit!!

Mom hung up again but soon called back -- but the friend refused to answer. The 4 of them speculated that the mother's historic jealousy (her own hair is ugly) was to blame.

Eventually Mom called the salon and one of the friends intermediated. The haircut looked fine, the 3 - all dressed in jeans, BTW - left and my stylist thought she was home free.

A little later, the customer called the stylist back, said her parents had had to admit the hair looked good, but were mainly mollified because they thought the hair was donated to a wig charity, and would the stylist please back them up on that story, if it came to that.

I can't help but wonder if there's significance in the customer belonging to a religious org that holds services on Wednesday nights! In any case, my stylist now has an inkling of what drives my efforts against extremism!!

MamaJunebug, that is so, so weird. From shoulder length to a cute bob was a problem?

What is it with fundies or even fundie-lite and hair? Why is hair such a fetish?

They would hate me, I shave my head leaving a multicoloured bit to spike if I feel the urge. I can get kind of evangelical about the benefits of shaving one's head (get up, wash and go to work, no spending half an hour with the straighteners! What's not to like!) but don't understand how a slight removal of hair could be unholy.

If the girl's parents are anything like some of the people we discuss here, I commend her for her bravery and for refusing to bend to their wills. My hair is long enough that I get mistaken for being Pentecostal. I haven't cut it for years, but my parents never kept me from cutting my hair. I just like my hair long. That said, if my parents did try to keep me from cutting it, I wouldn't listen to them and would get it cut whether they like it or not. Unless they go to the length (no pun intended) of disowning me, it's not like they could've ever kept me grounded until it grew back out or something. Religious beliefs aside, hair is just one of those things that is not worth arguing over.

Guest Anonymous
The woman who did my manicure tonite told me how oddly her work day had started. I'll try to give just the facts.

A walk-in customer, new to the shop, wanted her shoulder-length hair cut -- nothing outrageous, just to chin-length. She had her two friends with her and as is the custom with young ladies, they moved around as a unit.

At the shampoo bowl, the customer got a call from her mom. When she truthfully told her mom where she was, the mom began screaming in anger, told the girl if she got her hair cut she (Mom) would cut off her phone service, her car insurance, and she would not sleep in her own bedroom but on the couch.

The customer said, "Mom, I'm 19 and it's not going to be that short.". The mom hung up on her, and by the time they got to the stylist's station her phone was indeed dead.

Mom called on one of the friends' phones, said the dad was en route home and livid. Mom said the customer was to come strsight home to face her parents. The customer said it was too late (the hair was cut) and that she'd need to be at church to sing as usual before going home. !!!My ears twitched at THAT bit!!

Mom hung up again but soon called back -- but the friend refused to answer. The 4 of them speculated that the mother's historic jealousy (her own hair is ugly) was to blame.

Eventually Mom called the salon and one of the friends intermediated. The haircut looked fine, the 3 - all dressed in jeans, BTW - left and my stylist thought she was home free.

A little later, the customer called the stylist back, said her parents had had to admit the hair looked good, but were mainly mollified because they thought the hair was donated to a wig charity, and would the stylist please back them up on that story, if it came to that.

I can't help but wonder if there's significance in the customer belonging to a religious org that holds services on Wednesday nights! In any case, my stylist now has an inkling of what drives my efforts against extremism!!

If you COULD make this up, Random House would owe you a contract.

God, I hope they agreed. There are times when honesty and the best policy are WORLDS apart.

Good for the daughter for acting like a grown-up!

That poor stylist, I hope she doesn't get harassed by the parents. The fact that the father was going to drive there to interfere is scary.

My mom absolutely refused that I got my hair cut above chin level until I was 18, then I changed continents and she could not say anything anymore lol

Archived