IGNORED

Gwyneth P: as misinformed about feminism as any fundie

MamaJunebug

Ach, this just caused me to grind another millimeter off my molars. It's from dlisted.com, with an excerpt from a current magazine interview with Gwyneth Paltrow.

On her anti-feminist advice to her really famous friend (like she has any other kind): "She is an actress and in a new relationship with someone else with a big career, and I said this may not be feminist, but you have to compromise. It's been all about you and you're a big deal. And if you want what you're saying you want—a family—you have to be a wife, and that is part of the equation. Gloria Steinem may string me up by my toes, but all I can do is my best, and I can do only what works for me and my family."

Again, Ms. Paltrow-Martin: Feminism is not about not compromising. If a feminist man or woman wants to compromise with his/her partner, that's feminism. Feminism is the mindset that permits any individual to follow his or her talents and inclinations so long as they're legal, without unnecessary and artificial restrictions set due to gender.

I'm not fond of Gloria Steinem but if she wanted to call Gwyneth and explain it all to her, I'd stand by with Gloria's water bottle.

How can a born-rich celebrity daughter of a film tycoon and a successful actress (who CHOSE to minimize her career while Gwyneth and her other child were young) be as stupidly uninformed or misinformed as our average dominionist??

Ach, this just caused me to grind another millimeter off my molars. It's from dlisted.com, with an excerpt from a current magazine interview with Gwyneth Paltrow.

Again, Ms. Paltrow-Martin: Feminism is not about not compromising. If a feminist man or woman wants to compromise with his/her partner, that's feminism. Feminism is the mindset that permits any individual to follow his or her talents and inclinations so long as they're legal, without unnecessary and artificial restrictions set due to gender.

I'm not fond of Gloria Steinem but if she wanted to call Gwyneth and explain it all to her, I'd stand by with Gloria's water bottle.

How can a born-rich celebrity daughter of a film tycoon and a successful actress (who CHOSE to minimize her career while Gwyneth and her other child were young) be as stupidly uninformed or misinformed as our average dominionist??

It's not like this is even an issue for her. She is financially independent. She has a great career that's flexible and will go to great lengths to make sure she is happy on set so she can do her job. What pray tell, is she compromising? She's *choosing* that, not having the choice made for her [like 99.9% of us].

Ugh I hate Fishsticks. She's so annoying in every way, shape and form and didn't deserve that Oscar.

Totes.

I'm sure my life would be better if I had nearly unlimited funds to pay chefs to fix me organic nutrious food, and stylists to pick clothes for me, and beauticians to do my hair and makeup. It's so EASY to be thin, healthy, and beautiful (if you're rich).

http://www.cracked.com/blog/dear-gwyneth-paltrow-understanding-why-everyone-hates-you/ PS: Soren is super hot.

Totes.

I'm sure my life would be better if I had nearly unlimited funds to pay chefs to fix me organic nutrious food, and stylists to pick clothes for me, and beauticians to do my hair and makeup. It's so EASY to be thin, healthy, and beautiful (if you're rich).

http://www.cracked.com/blog/dear-gwyneth-paltrow-understanding-why-everyone-hates-you/ PS: Soren is super hot.

Meh, she's not even that healthy. She has the beginnings of osteoporosis because she's so skinny and still does a ridiculous workout program and eats barely anything. I have read that she doesn't smoke anymore, but she did for years and I'm sure her body had to take time to recover from that too.

You all are making me feel a little better -- that of the dozen people who read Fishy's screed, maybe 2 were dumb enough to take her "defintiion" of feminism as valid.

Who keeps supporting this minimally talented creature, anyway? the producers of "Glee," I suppose, and the Fashion Police on a given day. Heck of it is, I've always liked Blythe Danner (mother to Fish) as an actress and I admired her for taking years off to raise Gwyn and her brother Lancelot, or whatever poetic / artistic name Blythe and the late Bruce gave him.

Thanks, guys. You've restored some semblance of healthy feeling to my upper-GI. ;)

She's ooooozzzzing with priviledge out of every pore of her body and she's too dumb to realize it. She does not need to give advice to anyone. She just needs to stick with ordering dinner from her "favorite fishmonger" and leave everyone else alone.

Gloria S. is probably lauging her butt off at Gwyneth's pathetic definition of feminism.

Well......life has taught me ( I have shoes older than most of you) that, regardless of views, married (or cohabiting) life means compromises are necessary. Now, feminism to me means that I have the right to be treated as something more than a maid in the living room, a cook in the kitchen, and a whore in the bedroom. But, put some kids into the equation, elderly parents, jobs etc. and day-to-day life doesn't neatly follow a plan. You can be right or you can be happy.

You all are making me feel a little better -- that of the dozen people who read Fishy's screed, maybe 2 were dumb enough to take her "defintiion" of feminism as valid.

Who keeps supporting this minimally talented creature, anyway? the producers of "Glee," I suppose, and the Fashion Police on a given day. Heck of it is, I've always liked Blythe Danner (mother to Fish) as an actress and I admired her for taking years off to raise Gwyn and her brother Lancelot, or whatever poetic / artistic name Blythe and the late Bruce gave him.

Thanks, guys. You've restored some semblance of healthy feeling to my upper-GI. ;)

For some reason Ryan Murphy really loves her. I found her incredibly annoying on Glee and can't believe that she won an Emmy for it.

Aka: every time my husband brings out a new song I pretend it's NOT like every other song his band have brought out ;)

bwahahahaha!!!! Truth.

Never much cared for that woman.

Gwyneth Paltrow can take her mooing husband and jump right off a cliff. Anyone who names their kid Apple deserves no pity.

Feminism is about choice, not about sticking to one status quo way of doing things. And her idea of "being a wife" seems to have a very strong connotation of submission to it, where you have to be the one to compromise because you're the woman. Honestly, though, Fishy has just grated on me for years. I'll take my macrobiotic seaweed plate with a side of condescension, please :roll:

You know what, I agree with her. And I think that contemporary feminism is being willfully ignorant and hurting women by promoting this "you can do whatever you choose" mindset. Because it isn't true. You do have to make compromises. You cannot "have it all" and there is nothing unfeminist about that. Men can't "have it all" either, only there are fewer social judgments for men who chose their careers over family or something like that.

You know what, I agree with her. And I think that contemporary feminism is being willfully ignorant and hurting women by promoting this "you can do whatever you choose" mindset. Because it isn't true. You do have to make compromises. You cannot "have it all" and there is nothing unfeminist about that. Men can't "have it all" either, only there are fewer social judgments for men who chose their careers over family or something like that.

Choices =/= "have it all"

Archived