IGNORED

The Apotheosis of Washington And Our Christian Founders

debrand

In the Rotunda of the U.S Capitol there is a fresco that depicts Washington being raised to the rank of a god. Of course, it was only symbolic. No one thought that Washington was could be raised to the position of a deity.

I can't imagine any modern Christians being anything but offended if a modern president used such imagery. Claiming that a human, other than Jesus, can obtain the position of god goes against Christian beliefs.

http://www.aoc.gov/cc/art/rotunda/apoth ... erview.cfm

The painting was created in the mid 1800's, after Washington had died. I am not certain how he would have felt about the work. My point is that it is hard to claim that this is a Christian nation when we have a painting in our capital of our first president becoming a god.

I changed the word founders because the painting was not done in Washington's lifetime.

I had the same reaction when I read the Dan Brown book about the Masons (name?) and he talked about this.

I think sometimes (often) Christians just repeat what they hear (men are visual, women are not, the pill causes abortions, etc.), rather than forming their own opinion, or at least researching what they are repeating.

I'll admit my ignorance and say that until fairly recently I did not know about The Apotheosis of Washington. :oops: To make matters worse, I find the painting a bit cheesy.

Archived