IGNORED

Now THIS is How You Raise Daughters

MaroonMandy

I was wasting time on StumbleUpon and found this fromdatestodiapers.com/50-rules-for-dads-of-daughters

It's 50 rules for dads of daughters. Fundie dads are always doing creepy things to be close to their daughters, instead of normal things like this dad mentions.

Slightly off topic: This list reminds me of my dad and actually made me a little teary-eyed.

Also slightly off topic: My dad was all about #14. We have pictures of the two of us in Chucks from about the age of 3 on. We still occasionally rock them. :D

Doesn't sound that bad, albeit its father-centered and and a tiny tinge of incest.

Its opposite to me, I am more close to my mother than my father. My mom was there for me always while Paps was working all night and sleeping all day. I still love him but now he's older and tends to be mildly unpleasant and a bit demanding. But in truth, he spoiled my older brother the most.

I like most of this list and if fundie Dad's followed it that would be a nice improvement in their families lives. It is playing to a lot of gender stereotypes, so right up fundies' alleys! As always, don't read the comments. People point out it's racism (all pictures of white people) and are told to shut up and never have children because there were no minorities in the fifties. Or something, I may be paraphrasing.

It may not be perfect, but I do think it would be a huge improvement over the way the girls are treated now. I was mainly trying to point out that dads should enjoy having kids and letting them be kids. Making memories that both can look back on later in life and smile and such.

It may not be perfect, but I do think it would be a huge improvement over the way the girls are treated now. I was mainly trying to point out that dads should enjoy having kids and letting them be kids. Making memories that both can look back on later in life and smile and such.

Very true!

I like some of the suggestions, but there's a fair amount of sexism, too. The guy also seems a little fixated on his daughter's future love life. He mentions her wedding and marriage five or six times.

I think I actually like the first list better, sure there may have been a slight bit of sexism in the list, but I didn't see nearly anything as bad as the contradictions between the PIWTPITT rules list for daughters and the same website's rules list for sons. Did anyone read the list for sons? The daughter list constantly stresses how you get further in life with intelligence as opposed to beauty and even tries to call out Seventeen for just encouraging girls to look hot (I guess she hasn't read a single issue of Seventeen in her life, considering they include beauty tips but also include tips on college life, articles about important issues affecting teens like cyberbullying, and most importantly, the Body Peace Project...plus they obviously support sex education!). Meanwhile, the son list, to paraphrase, includes statements like "Women find nothing hotter than a guy doing housework! Funny men are the sexiest!" Shouldn't we be reminding both our daughters and our sons that there's more to life than being sexy, even if it's not on looks alone? Also, I couldn't help but take issue with the recommendations on the daughter list not to allow your daughter to marry at a young age (she didn't specify how young) or get a tattoo until she lives on her own (how about until she turns 18?), as well as some serious slut-shaming going on in tip 1 of the sons list and no explanation that the lady being called "Lady Chinky Eyes" by the pizzeria owner in tip 17 is seriously racist and wrong and that she doesn't support it.

I understand that People I Want to Punch in the Throat is a comedy blog, but those things I just mentioned seemed to dull down the humorous aspects of the list for me...

I don't like these types of lists in general, since I don't see why a list of fundamentals would differ depending on a child's gender. Respect yourself, respect others, follow your dreams. Those are the basics. Gender specific things like "you're more than a pretty face!" and "strong and SMART are what girls want, men!" just seem silly. Respect yourself, respect others, follow your dreams. Gender nonspecific and encompasses pretty much everything on the lists.

I don't like these types of lists in general, since I don't see why a list of fundamentals would differ depending on a child's gender. Respect yourself, respect others, follow your dreams. Those are the basics. Gender specific things like "you're more than a pretty face!" and "strong and SMART are what girls want, men!" just seem silly. Respect yourself, respect others, follow your dreams. Gender nonspecific and encompasses pretty much everything on the lists.

I think I can somewhat understand the reasoning behind separate lists, not that I really agree with it. Remember, it wasn't long ago that our own parents grew up in a sexist--but totally typical of its time--environment. They themselves were shoved into molds that they might not have fit into. For example, my dad never really fit any expectations I imagine my grandfather might've had of him, whether that be joining the military like he did or being a computer technician like my uncle. He works in drafting but he has been into photography for the longest time as well. I suspect that he was always more of an artist at heart, which in some cultures is seen as a more feminine pursuit. Meanwhile, my mom as a child loved to play football with both her sisters and her brothers, got in fights, cussed, and started smoking at age nine. I'm sure the fundies would've had an uphill battle trying to suppress her spirit. :D AND, to the disdain of the PIWTPITT author I'm sure, she was married with a child by age 19.

My point is, all of these lists are usually from people that are the last born to a bygone, supposedly more simple era where both women and men knew their places, and in their frustration with what society expected of them, created lists addressing the children they have of the opposite sex to remind them that it's okay to be your own person. Because Lord knows if I didn't know better, my dad could've surely written the first list. He has reminded me constantly that he tried to make sure I grow up knowing I don't have anyone's shoes to fill but my own. And despite the constant arguments we get into and it seems like we can't even coexist peacefully at times, I thank him everyday for that.

Whew, that was a bit of a ramble. I do agree with you though, just offering my insight on why there may be separate lists.

Agreed. I would also doubt that the fundamentals differ depending on the parent's gender. I grew up with two mothers and no father, and it seems to me that moms could do everything on the list. None of the tips are specific to men, although the author is assuming that every dad enjoys camping, fishing, and baseball.

The list does have some nice ideas that fathers can share with their daughters, although I could have done without the sexist bits and some of the creepy possessiveness. What is with that? It's not just a fundie thing. It's all over the mainstream, too.

I don't really like that thing about "Men and women are just plain different. They just are. They're equal, but different. Be who you are." That sounds a lot like shaming people who don't conform to the current gender roles. As an assertive woman in a male-dominated field, I could do without people telling me that I'm just plain different so clearly I'm only "acting like a man" because this couldn't be my true self.

Also, cheaters are responsible for themselves, not the other woman or other man. It is true that people won't leave their spouse for their lover, but it's not the lover's fault that the person is cheating in the first place.

Archived