IGNORED

Article on Stay-at-home dads

dawn9476

I adore my Stay-at-home-dad. He works in a field where he is able to telecommute and do his work while our daughter is napping, playing nearby, or when I get home. I love my child, but I could never stay home all day long, Mr. Angri-la is much more suited to all day parenting than I. I am very, very lucky, and I know it.

Off topic, but a few years ago I wrote some hate mail to Mark Driscoll (trendy, patriarchal megachurch pastor) about a sermon online about the evils of stay at home fathering. I asked if he really thought it was sinful of my husband to quit working to provide full cares to our little boy in heart failure after his work health insurance maxed out and my job would be the only way to get medical care. I got a trite response about how there are special allowable exceptions but parenting all the time isn't really God's design for men. :x

I like this article and there is a lot of truth to it. One of my former co-workers is now a stay at home dad. The company that I work for, let him go back in 2008 due to downsizing. He and his wife moved to a smaller city soon after that and he has been a stay at home dad with his three daughters since then. He does some odd jobs here and there.

Off topic, but a few years ago I wrote some hate mail to Mark Driscoll (trendy, patriarchal megachurch pastor) about a sermon online about the evils of stay at home fathering. I asked if he really thought it was sinful of my husband to quit working to provide full cares to our little boy in heart failure after his work health insurance maxed out and my job would be the only way to get medical care. I got a trite response about how there are special allowable exceptions but parenting all the time isn't really God's design for men. :x

Those responses are pretty common when it comes to stay at home dads. I'll check out Driscoll's online sermon. In my area, several years ago there was an incident in which a pastor and his wife opposed a parenting group that was designed for stay at home dads. Their excuse was that men shouldn't stay home with kids because they aren't designed for it.

Archived