IGNORED

Nat. Geo. Taboo crucifixion

ilovetchotchkes

I'm running through the "National Geographic Taboo" on Netflix, and we're sitting here watching a guy literally reenact being crucified, using real nails and everything. THis is after, the previous day, walking like 12 miles self flagellating himself the entire way. -the reason? his daughter almost died and this is his way of paying back the almighty.

WHY !? I'd have to say, you have to be NUTS to do something like that. NUTS. Moreover, the daughter who almost died (who is like 11) WATCHES. Can you imagine how much that would mess up a person? like MAJORLY?!?!?!

I don't have citations but this is nothing new, countries all over the globe have this going on. Granted one will see this closer to Easter.

I don't have citations but this is nothing new, countries all over the globe have this going on. Granted one will see this closer to Easter.

Yes, it is done a lot in the Philippines around that time. While disturbing, I do find it really fascinating to watch.

Is that the episode where he promised god that he would do it annually if his child survived an illness? Totally nuts! First of all, he's using (thankfully) sanitary nails which are very sharp. His feet arent taking the load of his body, and he knows its temporary. Pretty much he's just causing a crazy amount of pain for no reason. I'm pretty sure he's missing the whole point of the crucifixion...

Wouldnt it be more in gods interest to spend this time and energy reading to kids still in the hospital rather than hurting yourself???

Pretty much he's just causing a crazy amount of pain for no reason. I'm pretty sure he's missing the whole point of the crucifixion...

Wouldnt it be more in gods interest to spend this time and energy reading to kids still in the hospital rather than hurting yourself???

It may be that he is willing to sacrifice himself (put himself through pain) so his daughter won't be afflicted any more. In some countries, when you're poor & can't afford the best healthcare-you believe what you must. If his daughter stays healthy, he'll consider the pain completely worth it.

At least this guy is only doing a fake crucifixion one day once a year.

Martin Luther (the guy who later went on to start Lutheranism) got so scared during a lightning storm that he promised St. Anne he'd join a monestery if he survived. That's a life-long vow of chastity, poverty, and obedience.

I'm running through the "National Geographic Taboo" on Netflix, and we're sitting here watching a guy literally reenact being crucified, using real nails and everything. THis is after, the previous day, walking like 12 miles self flagellating himself the entire way. -the reason? his daughter almost died and this is his way of paying back the almighty.

WHY !? I'd have to say, you have to be NUTS to do something like that. NUTS. Moreover, the daughter who almost died (who is like 11) WATCHES. Can you imagine how much that would mess up a person? like MAJORLY?!?!?!

That's pretty fucked up of the guy.

On another note, "National Geographic Taboo" is pretty cool. And Ducky narrates some (all?) of the episodes.

Ouch and yikes. I remember seeing that this happens around Easter in some South American countries (?), but didn't realize people use it in this way. eek.

Visceral reaction aside, being married to someone of a different culture, I know there are plenty of things that Americans find normative or maybe just "kinda weird" that others would find downright horrifying.

I remember reading about this kind of self flaggelation a long time ago. It takes place in a lot of Latin American countries. There is some cathedral somewhere where the faithful go up all the stone stairs on their knees - ouch! In my fundy days I would've said, "Christ's death on the cross took care of your sins. It's an insult to him for you to try and pay for your sins yourself."

Another case of self flaggelation is when a certain sect of Muslims cut their heads and their children in rememberance of Muhammad's grandson.

Yeah, I've read about it, too, there's this guy in the Philippines who's done it 20-something times or something, on Good Friday. Was this the same guy?

And yeah, since crucifixion kills through suffocation, generally, it's not lethal, so he's just torturing himself. I find it seriously weird.

I'm going to regret asking this, but how does crucifixion kill by suffocation?

I'm too scared to Google it.

When someone is crucified, he's hanging by his arms. Eventually he can't breathe anymore. Imagine how it feels to dangle from monkey bars or the gym climbing rope or something, how you wouldn't have been able to inflate your lungs without pulling yourself up a bit. Now string that out for hours, until you're too tired and in too much pain to pull yourself up to breathe, and eventually you suffocate.

...I can't believe I know this.

When someone is crucified, he's hanging by his arms. Eventually he can't breathe anymore. Imagine how it feels to dangle from monkey bars or the gym climbing rope or something, how you wouldn't have been able to inflate your lungs without pulling yourself up a bit. Now string that out for hours, until you're too tired and in too much pain to pull yourself up to breathe, and eventually you suffocate.

...I can't believe I know this.

The Romans really had torture down to a T. You had the choice of pushing up on the feet (which were generally NOT nailed to eachother but through the heel on either side) to breathe or trying to pull yourself up through your nailed wrists. You could only do that for so long and as you got weaker your torso would extend making it impossible to take a breath... so you died. If you took too long they'd break your knees to just end it.

I remember reading about this kind of self flaggelation a long time ago. It takes place in a lot of Latin American countries. There is some cathedral somewhere where the faithful go up all the stone stairs on their knees - ouch! In my fundy days I would've said, "Christ's death on the cross took care of your sins. It's an insult to him for you to try and pay for your sins yourself."

Another case of self flaggelation is when a certain sect of Muslims cut their heads and their children in rememberance of Muhammad's grandson.

Are you referring to Day of Ashura? Most Shia don't go to that extreme, though they used to whip themselves with blades and knives while in prayer/chanting. Illegal in a bunch of countries, but I'm sure that doesn't stop all of them. Most just beat their chests-the footage of Ashura observances showed by Al Jazeera had some hardcore chest beating in Iran & Afghanistan-meh beating in France. The ones in NYC were pretty intense...

"The practice of Tatbir includes striking oneself with a form of a sword (talwar in South Asia) on the head, causing blood to flow in remembrance of the innocent blood of Imam al Husain ibn Ali which was shed by Yazid's forces in Battle of Karbala. Some Shiites also hit their back and/or chest with blades attached to chains. This is more commonly known as Zanjeer Zani. Tatbir is performed by both men and women of all ages (the performance of women is not advertised with pictures due to Hijab reasons, however it is certainly permissible for women as it was Sayyidah Zaynab bint Ali who first performed it"

Wikipedia knows all (sometimes ;) ) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qama_Zani

Archived