IGNORED

Drove Around the "Fundie" Patrick Henry College...

mrs

Hubby and I were out antiquing and getting our xmas tree, when we decided to drive around Patrick Henry College. It's very small, maybe 3 academic buildings. A few athelic fields. Really weird dorms, like oversized 90's cookie cutter houses. I thought it was odd not see any students walking around... ( some back history on me and my husband, we are both conservative Catholics, who graduated from The Catholic University of America, not fundies or anything but we can understand being stereotyped).

Idk, I've read a blog or two, where young ladies have "escaped" after being exposed to the outside world via PHC. I kinda want to say, hey, any body need a hand? Someone to talk to? I'm a half hour down the road.

I think I may be rambling...

That's interesting mrs. Idk, it may have been exam time - finals started this week at some universities so there is a noticeable decrease in the number of students walking around. Good time to go exploring. You should go wander through the academic buildings, student hangout areas, etc., see if you see any weirdo fundy club notices and so on! :D

Next time I head out that way I'll be sure to grab my Nikon. The dorms are wierd, like built on a budget, pre-fab housing on steriods meets middle class new home circa 1995.

On another random note: I think its so sad that do not allow "dancing" on campus, like hello?, who hasn't broken out into dance/song in their freshmen dorm hallway, once or twice, even if its church hymns or xmas songs. :)

On a serious note, do these "stay at home daughters" have actually tangible resources they can turn to if they decide to leave? Is PHC aware of the abusive upbringing that their students are more subjective to then other students at different colleges?

Was curious so I went to their website to look at their academic calendar. It said final exams started on Friday and end Wednesday.

Next time I head out that way I'll be sure to grab my Nikon. The dorms are wierd, like built on a budget, pre-fab housing on steriods meets middle class new home circa 1995.

It is a school that is only 11 years old. It was created in 2000. It's not going to have historical houses or buildings like other colleges.

On another random note: I think its so sad that do not allow "dancing" on campus, like hello?, who hasn't broken out into dance/song in their freshmen dorm hallway, once or twice, even if its church hymns or xmas songs. :)

On a serious note, do these "stay at home daughters" have actually tangible resources they can turn to if they decide to leave? Is PHC aware of the abusive upbringing that their students are more subjective to then other students at different colleges?

I checked PHC out on wikipedia. From the pictures associated with the article, I would say the place looks a little ummm....stepfordy?????Ewww!

Weird place, but in the past, PHC students have been found in high places....governmentally, not heavenly.

Very true - and it's an aim of the school. The academic program there is actually very demanding from what I understand. And they not only place a lot of grads in political jobs, but they send a disproportionately high number on to law school. I can't tell you how many PHC grads I've met who are now lawyers in top firms or at Justice or in state AG's offices. Some are more moderate, but some are definitely true believers.

I watched a couple of You Tubes on PHC. They are prominently mentioned in "The Family" and their graduates are often offered staff positions and internships with uber conservative DC politicos.

I have good friends who are not fundies, at least not by comparrison to the ones we read here--my friends wear pants, the daughters work outside the home, they attend college (the children were homeschooled.) Their oldest daughter attended PHC, and when I learned she was going there, through their online campus, I was shocked. She did meet her husband there and they married. Neither of them being fundie, not even what I would call fundielite.

She did graduate and now has a successful photography business (is this what all fundie girls eventually end up doing?)

Archived