IGNORED

Sally used to be a legalist!

Deleted08

yoursacredcalling.com/blog/2011/06/sally-used-to-be-a-legalist/

Is it me or can fundies write an article with tons of words and say absolutely nothing? LOL

So my take is that Sally got wrapped up in living her life one way & told everyone else that they should live just like her. Then she decided that she didn't like that life so she started telling everyone else that they should live a different way.

In this little story she has Sally going from a religious life to an apparently sin filled secular life. It amuses me that this story could easily be written the other way. Oh wait, most of the christian bloggers do write how they went from a sin filled heathen life to the perfect Godly life. Apparently it's not the same thing.

Quick summary:

Sally used to be a judgmental bitch, quick to make assumptions and jump to conclusions based on externals.

Sally is still a judgmental bitch, quick to make assumptions and jump to conclusions based on externals.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the term "legalistic", because I see nothing wrong with laws, secular or religious, and I suspect the term came about as a subtle dig against Judaism. Being hypocritical and judgmental, however, isn't a great characteristic in anyway, regardless of religious background.

I will say that I know people who take an egocentric approach to religion, and assume that their personal bad experiences while with religion X or secular life somehow represent the "true face" of that religion or secularism, and that anyone who says that they had a different experience is either ignorant or lying.

Quick summary:

Sally used to be a judgmental bitch, quick to make assumptions and jump to conclusions based on externals.

Sally is still a judgmental bitch, quick to make assumptions and jump to conclusions based on externals.

I was about to post exactly this :D

yoursacredcalling.com/blog/2011/06/sally-used-to-be-a-legalist/

Is it me or can fundies write an article with tons of words and say absolutely nothing? LOL

Given the few fundamentalist sermons I've heard in person, I'd say they learn it from their clergy.

"Legalist" isn't necessarily a Jewish-related dig. It's more what one group of people call another group of people when they need to call them something bad and don't want to say "fornicators" or "heretics."

It's something that I have observed over a few decades of paying attention, and it irritates the snot outta me.

In this case, Stacy was (is) complaining about somebody who's disagreed with her. She's called them "legalistic" before they could call her "legalistic" so in this case, she's got the rights to accuse her opponent of l'ism.

it does get really old really quickly.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the term "legalistic", because I see nothing wrong with laws, secular or religious, and I suspect the term came about as a subtle dig against Judaism. Being hypocritical and judgmental, however, isn't a great characteristic in anyway, regardless of religious background.

I will say that I know people who take an egocentric approach to religion, and assume that their personal bad experiences while with religion X or secular life somehow represent the "true face" of that religion or secularism, and that anyone who says that they had a different experience is either ignorant or lying.

YES on the Judaism thing. I am Reform, which means that I obey interpersonal laws (and can I say? they are things I should be doing regardless of my religion, things that atheists and Buddhists and Unitarians do) and then the laws that are meaningful to me and make me a better Jew. Which, it turns out, encompasses most of the laws. I have had Baptist friends tell me my religion is legalistic and the person who told me that is stuck in a miserable, semi-abusive marriage that she would leave in a second except that her church says divorce is always sinful.

Some people always think they have the right formula, and the fact that the last formula was wrong? It's proof that they have BTDT and not proof that they can be completely wrong. Apparently.

Archived