IGNORED

Onionsoupmix blog

longskirts

Has anyone read onionsoupmix? onionsoupmix.livejournal.com/

She's writing that she no longer identifies with Chabad, and is considering ending her blog. I feel bad for her because she's getting some hate in the comments, saying she's a bad Jew and a bad parent.

I've read her on and off for years. I really like her and where she's coming from. I'm glad it seems like she'll keep the archives up- I think they'll be important for anyone trying to leave a damaging religion.

She's me pre-gateway fundie-doubter! Through her I discovered Anna T, then Lina (ooh Lina how I wish to know what you're up to!) and the rest is history. She's great!

She seems really interesting from a first glance. Maybe sometime I will actually have enough time in my life to seriously delve into her blog.

Here's a quick summary:

She's a Russian Jew who came with her family to the US as a kid. As a teen, she found that Chabad was way more welcoming to a poor Russian Jew than the Modern Orthodox community, so she became more and more involved with them. In addition to going to university, she also went to a seminary in Brooklyn for newly-religious Chabad girls and loved it. She became a full-blown Lubavitcher, was convinced that the Rebbe was the Messiah and would go around arguing the conservative position on her liberal university campus. She got married to another newly-religious Lubavitcher, and they had 4 kids. She worked as an educational psychologist. Along the way, things started to bother her and her questions grew. They were part of a Chabad synagogue that seemed particularly extreme and into the "Rebbe is the Moshiach" thing. When the blog started, she was pretty angry and frustrated with shortcomings in the community, and was looking to vent. Over the next several years, she decided to go to law school, moved to another city and put her kids in a Modern Orthodox community school and had fewer daily frustrations as a result. She's now a lawyer, they are back in their old city, but she's no longer taking every single bad thing that someone from Chabad does so personally. She loves her husband and is still married, he's still a Lubavitcher and they are in the ongoing process of trying to figure out how to make their now-different religious outlooks work, esp. when it comes to the kids.

Archived