IGNORED

Big Bowler Jesus (Michigan's answer to Big Butter?)

Brainsample

I had occasion to be outside of Alpena, Michigan last week, and while driving back in the dark, I saw an eerie site. There was a two story plaster Jesus, shining out in the night along the shores of Lake Huron. Though the image was holding the whole world in his left hand, from the road, it looked like he was ready to launch a bowling ball right into the lake.

We drove by and my husband graciously urged me to turn around so that we could capture the miracle of the glowing figure. I wish I had seen it in the daylight on the way up, but the image wasn't glowing then.

I also wanted to write a "Big Bowler Jesus" version of "Big Butter Jesus," but I just wasn't feeling quite creative enough. Rather than wait, I couldn't continue to wait to show Strike King Jesus.

2photo.jpg

3photo.jpg

6photo.jpg

10photo.jpg

Apparently it's part of an attraction known as 'the dinosaur gardens'. Someone's made life-sized statues of dinosaurs and opened a park.

www.dinosaurgardensllc.com/activities.html There's a picture of Lawn (or maybe ten-pin) Bowling Jesus if you scroll down a little way.

From the website:

Serenity and solitude can also be enjoyed by talking a walk among nature or sitting on a bench under the watchful eye of Christ.

I'm not sure I associate serenity with life sized concrete dinosaurs (or with Bowling Ball Jesus, for that matter).

I'm 90% sure I've been there...but they didn't have the Jesus at the time.

(mom and dad, *WHAT* were you thinking? dragging us to these places?)

I'm 90% sure I've been there...but they didn't have the Jesus at the time.

(mom and dad, *WHAT* were you thinking? dragging us to these places?)

Go, JC -- pick up the spare!

Wonder what it says on the back of his robe -- "Holy Rollers?" Or perhaps "King of Kingpins" or "The Pin-tecostals."

Great snark fodder!

It was the most surreal thing, driving past there at night, and with the full moon over the water that night. It just suddenly appeared, glowing there at the side of the road. We completely missed it in daylight.

Archived