IGNORED

And what the hell is THIS crap? - Blessed Homemaking

Burris

I thought, in my naivete, that I had read pretty much every kind of claustrophobic, self-absorbed fuckery the fundie mind could produce: I've read – nay, suffered! - through the circle-jerk of blogs that make up the incestuous core of the fundie micro-economy.

But today I came across something I don't recall ever having seen before – at least not to this degree.

I've been loosely following a heavily-monetized blog called Blessed Homemaking, dropping in on this low-rider every once in awhile when big guys get especially boring. Such was the case this morning when I found a post from, lo, this past October, when Mrs. Q described “A Quiet Evening at Home.†(blessedhomemaking.com/2011/10/quiet-evening-at-home.html)

It's...I'm not actually sure what the fuck this is:

Tomorrow I will need to go and buy food. I wish it weren't so because I would rather stay home, but I need to provide food for the household.

Have you ever heard anyone so mournful over the mundane – the happily, blessedly mundane – task of buying groceries?

The melodrama! The angst! (Try reading her post while listing to John Murphy's Adagio in D Minor.)

We do not have a garden, or a root cellar, or a farm, so I must go to the stores to obtain what we need. I must do the meal planning for my husband and children...there will be a lot of vegetables, meat, nuts, and bones to purchase. From these I will make several soups and other meals. I will pray that the things that we need are on sale.

I was briefly struck inarticulate by how much this lady needs to get a life. No, seriously – I'm not even talking about anything so sinful as a job, or a hobby, but merely a life; a sense of perspective that allows her to see beyond the end of her own nose.

There are probably people with diagnosed agoraphobia who agonize less about the prospect of leaving home to grab some veggies at the supermarket.

(You know, maybe a sixth of the world is on the edge of starvation and then there's someone posting this crap? What the fu....)

Here's how the post ends:

I love my family, and I want to cook well for them and bring them health through their food.

That is my quiet evening, before the busyness of tomorrow...

That's...that's it. No – that's literally IT. It's like a Seinfeld episode, except it involves the empty futility of fundie home life rather than the empty futility of Jerry's existence.

Mrs. Q's entire post, which isn't much longer than the quoted portions, is all about...uh...grocery shopping. Or something.

And it's not even something practical such as about how to save money; it's merely a long-winded and oddly rapturous complaint about the travail of leaving home and getting groceries and bringing the groceries home and feeding the family with the aforementioned groceries.

I've scarcely read anything else, fundie or not, that is so vacuous.

ETA: I've discussed this paragon of female virtue before, over here.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admittedly, I don't enjoy grocery shopping. In fact, I dread doing it. But, I do it because it is a necessary part of being alive and staying that way. I hate how much food costs. I hate the act of doing it, and carrying it up to my 2nd floor apartment and putting it all away.

But, it is no more of a 'burden' in life than cleaning the bathroom, paying rent and other bills, going to the doctor, going to work, getting my oil changed.

I don't hate grocery shopping because it takes me out of the house. I dislike it for what it is. Oddly enough though, I love going shopping for household necessities - shampoo, cleaning products, toothpaste, etc.

I think this particular diatribe is indicative of how miserable the realities of life can be when it's all you've got. If you only leave home for necessary reasons, it gets old fast. If you only cook and clean and take care of your family, it gets frustrating.

Leave home once in a while for reasons that aren't necessary to survival - or your chosen role as wife, mother and house-keeper, and you might not get your undies in such a bunch about buying and preparing food for your family.

I can't find the web page. Has she fled already?

No, she's still there - and for an extra dose of absolute asshattery, here's moar: blessedhomemaking.com/2011/09/when-healthy-isnt-healthy-enough.html

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. It should just be a copy and paste job, except you might need to add the www. prefix.

She sounds borderline depressed. Like depression is normal to her, she doesn't recognize it, and it forces her to walk herself mentally through a shopping trip, then making meals from what she bought. The unfortunate necessity of having to buy food and make it. Doing anything except sitting quietly to ponder an existence she doesn't have the energy to do happily, is a chore that exhaust her even thinking of it. :( Poor thing.

I agree she's probably depressed. I hate grocery shopping with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns, but I used to be able to at least make myself do it. Now I'd just about rather stab my eyes out with a rusty fork. The most simple, mundane tasks seem overwhelming when you're depressed.

Guest Anonymous

She reminds me of Anna at Domestic Felicity. Poor delicate flower, having to find the energy to go food shopping, when she'd rather stay tucked up at home.

She could, of course, shop online, compare special offers instead of just praying for them, and have someone deliver to her house. But maybe you need to shop at special stores if you are cooking meals that are healthy enough to cure schizophrenia. :roll:

blessedhomemaking.com/2011/09/when-healthy-isnt-healthy-enough.html

She reminds me of Anna at Domestic Felicity. Poor delicate flower, having to find the energy to go food shopping, when she'd rather stay tucked up at home.

She could, of course, shop online, compare special offers instead of just praying for them, and have someone deliver to her house. But maybe you need to shop at special stores if you are cooking meals that are healthy enough to cure schizophrenia. :roll:

blessedhomemaking.com/2011/09/when-healthy-isnt-healthy-enough.html

It's that link, right there, that tips me off: She doesn't "sound depressed," if people will forgive the crude phrase; she sounds like...well, an asshole.

I thought, in my naivete, that I had read pretty much every kind of claustrophobic, self-absorbed fuckery the fundie mind could produce: I've read – nay, suffered! - through the circle-jerk of blogs that make up the incestuous core of the fundie micro-economy.

But today I came across something I don't recall ever having seen before – at least not to this degree.

I've been loosely following a heavily-monetized blog called Blessed Homemaking, dropping in on this low-rider every once in awhile when big guys get especially boring. Such was the case this morning when I found a post from, lo, this past October, when Mrs. Q described “A Quiet Evening at Home.†(blessedhomemaking.com/2011/10/quiet-evening-at-home.html)

It's...I'm not actually sure what the fuck this is:

Have you ever heard anyone so mournful over the mundane – the happily, blessedly mundane – task of buying groceries?

The melodrama! The angst! (Try reading her post while listing to John Murphy's Adagio in D Minor.)

I actually did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to say I am not always a fan of that task either though. I am looking forward to the day when groceries are being delivered to my door. Because I know that day will come.

I

I was briefly struck inarticulate by how much this lady needs to get a life. No, seriously – I'm not even talking about anything so sinful as a job, or a hobby, but merely a life; a sense of perspective that allows her to see beyond the end of her own nose.

There are probably people with diagnosed agoraphobia who agonize less about the prospect of leaving home to grab some veggies at the supermarket.

(You know, maybe a sixth of the world is on the edge of starvation and then there's someone posting this crap? What the fu....)

Here's how the post ends:

That's...that's it. No – that's literally IT. It's like a Seinfeld episode, except it involves the empty futility of fundie home life rather than the empty futility of Jerry's existence.

Mrs. Q's entire post, which isn't much longer than the quoted portions, is all about...uh...grocery shopping. Or something.

Well I can understand when one is not thrilled about the daily chores. Maybe she is depressive though, some tasks can seem unachievable then.

Also, when you live a pretty idle life, things DO seem more exhausting than they are. It's more of an effort to drag yourself out of the house to go grocery shopping when you are home all day otherwise than just running to the store after work.

I know I've been there. Working10 hours, tutoring for 2 hours, grocery shopping AND cooking the one day, hardly getting myself out of the house to just get milk or whatever on another.

You can really fall into this idleness, to use a biblical word. 8-)

This is not germane to the conversation, but in other threads I keep seeing a raccoon avatar, looking forward to an interesting post from Lainey, and then feeling so let down when it turns out to be that doofus devilsadvocate6.

I too hate the grocery store. But it's because I'm BUSY doing other things, OUTSIDE of the home. Grocery shopping is a necessary evil, otherwise the kids would exist on Ramen and Mac & Cheese. Oh, and hot dogs.

Guest Anonymous

It's that link, right there, that tips me off: She doesn't "sound depressed," if people will forgive the crude phrase; she sounds like...well, an asshole.

This. I have personal experience of depression but her accounts just smack of 'major arsehole disorder'.

I actually enjoy grocery shopping. But I have a three year old, so it's fun to chat with him while we walk around.

I do hate carrying all the groceries in and putting them away though. But I don't start dreading it and writing crappy, melodramatic diatribes about it the night before.

Whoooaaa! Talk about your first-world problems! Forced to go to a clean, well-lighted supermarket where everything on your list is available, at a price you can afford. It would be soooo much easier if she had a little plot of land she could till, raise and harvest and preserve vegetables, raise and butcher and preserve her own meat, but no, she's stuck driving to the supermarkets.

(You know, maybe a sixth of the world is on the edge of starvation and then there's someone posting this crap? What the fu....)This.

Word.

It's as if Nietzsche were a blogging fundie homemaker. Burris, I am in awe of your fortitude. That's one blog I don't think I can bring myself to read without my head exploding.

Depression is nothing to mess around with, as so many here know. The woman is obviously depressed if grocery shopping and preparing meals creates such angst. Untreated - and unrecognized/acknowledged - depression is the worst state to live in. I feel for her family if this is how she is; if taking care of them and feeding them is so fucking hard on her she has to write a blog post about it. Disliking obligatory parts of life is one thing. Cowering in a corner in fear is another. And it has just as much of an effect on your family as it does on you. Can you imagine being her kid and knowing that buying and preparing the food you need to live is such a burden to your mother?

This is not germane to the conversation, but in other threads I keep seeing a raccoon avatar, looking forward to an interesting post from Lainey, and then feeling so let down when it turns out to be that doofus devilsadvocate6.

Awwwwwwwwwww! :romance-wub: I feel all special now. My head...it's swelling up like a balloon! :mrgreen:

As for the blogger, I didn't read the blog. I was just going off the snippets you posted. If she actually thinks she can cure schizophrenia with healthy food, then she's an idiot. She might be a depressed idiot. But definitely an idiot. Maybe she's depressed because she's an idiot? :think:

She sounds agoraphobic. That would explain the whole "I have to go get food and wish I didn't because I have to leave the house."

Wow, around 6th or 7th grade I had this completely irrational fear of throwing up in school. It has just gotten a name. :shock:

Why doesn't she just use a service like Sam's Club Pick N Pull. You sign into your account. Click on the items you want to purchase. A worker at Sam's club does your shopping. Then you go pick it up and pay for it. No angst involved...

to play a real devil's advocate: Sometimes, when people I know or myself get's really depressed -- just before the slide into feeling very little -- we can become raging assholes, particularly if you are trying to mask the depression. It's not an either/or.

(My husband? Continues the asshole trend the more depressed he gets. But that's partially because asshole is his default mood)

She writes about how mothers can "leave" the home by watching tv all day, gossiping on the phone, Facebooking or....

Then other mothers have email, email, and more email! There are newsletters, and blogs, yes! Even blogs! They must be read! Oh, you might miss something if you don't sign up for all those newsletters. Never mind that there is never enough time to read them all, but....! And the internet is SO full of good, helpful information...If you just spend a little more time reading those articles, maybe, just maybe, you'll get how to be a good mother and housekeeper!

And all I could think was, "Bitch, please! You're writing whiny posts about grocery shopping and curing Autism with GAPS, writing horrible sixth grade poetry, and taking online surveys to get free appliances!"

It's possible she's depressed. Instead of talking herself up, however, she talks others down. (Yes, I know...snark forum, etc., but no one here claims to do it for the greater glory of gawd.)

Mrs. Q thinks everything from ADHD to schizophrenia can be cured by diet, which is one reason why she agonizes so much over the grocery list and about having to procure items at the store rather than growing them herself.

I hate grocery shopping. I'm visually impaired, and I hate being hurried by crowds at the store. I send other people to do the shopping whenever I can, so I can sympathize with disliking the chore.

Mrs. Q doesn't merely dislike shopping, however; she disdains it while still managing to brag about how careful and cautious she is at the task - because, you know, other women just don't put as much thought into their "GAP diet" as she does, or they'd be tripping out over the awesome responsibility of buying green beans and cereal.

GAPS is a program that uses diet, supplementation, and detoxification to heal and seal the gut lining.

What is very interesting to me is that autism, dyspraxia (clumsiness), dyslexia, depression, A.D.D., A.D.H.D, and schizophrenia are ALL treatable by GAPS.

Schizophrenia can be cured with vitamins? Say what? This lady is an idiot. That's Scientology-level ignorance right there.

Today, I shall compare flyers and prices, compile a list and tomorrow? I shop. I will take select purchases and lo, a meal shall be prepared.

I have suffered from bipolar for almost 10 years (more on the depressed side) and hate shopping and crowds when I'm depressed. She does sound depressed and into the "woe is me mode" of it, but please.....can't she just say she can't stand shopping or leaving the house without it sounding like she's making some kind of ultimate sacrifice for the family?

Mrs. White, of thelegacyofhome.blogspot.com/ is another one like this. Her most recent post was all about how to clean up your kitchen, in only ZOMG 30 minutes. But first, she puts on her ankle weights so she can think of it as a "marathon" cleaning session and not have to take a break. And I was all like, WTF, who takes a break in the middle of doing the dishes? It isn't that hard. She also dreads going to the store, because I think she really feels that a woman shouldn't have to drive herself or leave the home unaccompanied. Many of her posts have that "wow, you really have too much time on your hands" flavor to them.

I often expostulate about her to my patient husband. I read her posts aloud in a very sugary, long-suffering voice (quite unlike my usually way of speaking, I do assure you.) But I can't truly bring myself to snark on her much, because I feel she is clinically depressed and barely clinging to sanity at times. She had cancer years ago and apparently still has health issues as a result. When she gets really bad, she starts talking fondly about how much her children will miss her when she's gone, and how she hopes they'll have sweet memories when she has gone away to heaven. And then there will be a brief pause in her blogging, and people will start writing to ask if she's okay. I don't think she's ever really okay. But she's a bit of an oddity, because she clearly loves nice things, but can never live that elegant lifestyle because her husband apparently doesn't make any money. They can't afford to even fix the electric light in the kitchen. I don't hate on her, because she seems to be a basically sweet person who loves her kids. But she's just so messed up, and hooked on bad religion the way some people are hooked on Valium. It's her Mother's Little Helper.

Archived