IGNORED

My Fundie-lite Job

survivor

A quote is on a bulletin board in one of the main areas.

"God doesn't believe in atheists. Therefore, atheists don't exist."

I'm tempted the write, "Therefore, they can't go to hell."

I feel for you, I've worked in a team where everyone but me was fundie lite. I lasted 3 months there.

That's what I'm waiting on, everyone to leave the room. Not that they won't suspect me.

The owner was railing about illegal immigration the other day, and I said, "You know what? I agree with you. All the illegal immigrants should leave. That's why I believe the white people should get out of this country and give it back to the Native Americans."

Bet you can guess what state I'm in...

Hello, fellow Texan!

Though I must say most of the illegal immigrants I deal with are the drug smuggling ones (I work for the government) so I'm not their biggest fan.

Hello, fellow Texan!

Though I must say most of the illegal immigrants I deal with are the drug smuggling ones (I work for the government) so I'm not their biggest fan.

I'm retired from the federal government and we treated everyone, citizen or immigrant with suspicion and didn't believe in the 4th amendment at all.

Where I live, the illegal immigrants are the people who work for incredibly low wages to pick fruit, which is the major contributor to our local economy.

And everyone rails on about illegal immigration. Especially the farmers. Who need them. One of the biggest issues is that the government has drop-in daycares for migrant workers, so they can go pick fruit for pennies a day. Also, everyone is pissed that the immigrant children are in our schools and receive health care, probably because they *might* not be willing to pick fruit for a living if they get any kind of decent upbringing.

It pisses me off, in part because the Latino population is the only thing that gives my city any interest or local color at all. I mean, we have 3 black people here, and about 5 jews. We.need.our.hispanic.community or I am going to get snow blindness just walking through the mall from all the pasty skin.

I can understand why people who live in areas where illegal immigration=crime can get upset. Up here in Central Washington, illegal immigration is necessary to support the main industry. So we can stfu about it already.

Oh, I have no problem with people who are working and coming to the US to make a better life, but my job involves tracking the illegal activity and I've gone to too many crime scenes and seen too many bullet riddled (even children) people to be okay with what I see.

Where I live, the illegal immigrants are the people who work for incredibly low wages to pick fruit, which is the major contributor to our local economy.

And everyone rails on about illegal immigration. Especially the farmers. Who need them. One of the biggest issues is that the government has drop-in daycares for migrant workers, so they can go pick fruit for pennies a day. Also, everyone is pissed that the immigrant children are in our schools and receive health care, probably because they *might* not be willing to pick fruit for a living if they get any kind of decent upbringing.

It pisses me off, in part because the Latino population is the only thing that gives my city any interest or local color at all. I mean, we have 3 black people here, and about 5 jews. We.need.our.hispanic.community or I am going to get snow blindness just walking through the mall from all the pasty skin.

I can understand why people who live in areas where illegal immigration=crime can get upset. Up here in Central Washington, illegal immigration is necessary to support the main industry. So we can stfu about it already.

Seriously, I worked in immigrant advocacy and people would get upset about undocumented workers being able to open bank accounts or enroll their kids in school, and it was just like, seriously? half of the undocumented workers were employed by the very same people doing the bitching, who needed housekeepers and groundskeepers and cheap agricultural laborers. Things don't happen in a vacuum, people- if you were willing to pay a living, legal wage, you could get legal workers, but since you're not, shut the fuck up! how dare you expect the very workers YOU attracted not to try to improve their children's lives? How much of an asshole can you be to want to punish kids and families?

In my line of work, we call used to call our workforce "People of questionable legal status." Pre-Everify of course...landscaping, in Arizona.

I'd hire white guys, but you know what? White guys aren't exactly chomping at the bit to be paid $9 an hour to cut grass in the Arizona summers. And our economy prohibits paying our laborers higher wages because our contracts don't exactly pay us a ton of money to maintain their landscape.

Yes, even with the economy what it is, the orchards were short on labor this year after several busts sent our workforce back home. Funny, no one wants a job that requires intense labor and pays less than minimum wage.

You are paid by the amount you pick. The good pickers (the illegal aliens) might make $20 and up an hour if they are in good health and know the way to do it, but the inexperienced might make $5.

I'm kind of mixed on illegal immigration. I'm Hispanic and I know several people who have had their identities stolen by illegals. The most recent incident happened with my aunt. She discovered that her identity was being used a hotel housekeeper. Sometimes it's hard to pick a side when some hardworking people are doing some not so good things.

Oh, I have no problem with people who are working and coming to the US to make a better life, but my job involves tracking the illegal activity and I've gone to too many crime scenes and seen too many bullet riddled (even children) people to be okay with what I see.

is your issue then with the individual immigrants, or the system itself? it sounds like it's with the system (inc. the war on drugs; immigration prohibitions etc..). those people shooting up children aren't the ones working for a few dollars an hour cleaning toilets or picking fruit.

In my area, we have some extreme crime problems on the Latino side of town. It is almost always the *legal* people who are committing the crimes here. The illegals are too busy working and staying under the radar. And the crimes are almost uniformly committed on that side of town, with other Latinos as victims. Yet it is always whites complaining about the Latino crime. I don't see illegal immigration as a crime problem, at least not the ones in Central Washington.

You have to have a SSN to work. In many cases, the immigrants will use it *only* to work, because you need more documentation to get a credit card or a state ID. That means that the person whose identity has been stolen will be getting more Social Security. In addition, these SSNs are farmed by bad *white* people on the internet, who then sell them to the immigrants.

I would do anything to feed my kids. I mean, anything. For a lot of illegal immigrants, this is the level of desperation that leads them to come here.

Archived