IGNORED

Those folks decimate "A Mighty Fortress" in rotunda

MamaJunebug

Reformation Day 2011 being not too far past, I am belatedly snarking on the well intentioned (yes, I"m charitable this a.m.) efforts of some of those folks* to make a statement by singing "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God," Martin Luther's signature hymn, in the rotunda of the Texas (?) governmental building.

ahthelife.blogspot.com/2011/08/singing-mighty-fortress-is-our-god-in.html

Snark The First: They're singing the wrong words. The proper ones are found in any Lutheran hymnal. ;)

Snark The Second: They're singing. way too slo.w.w.w.w It's meant to be a battle cry, a song of praise for God and in defiance of the world's troubles that would bring us down and persuade us that we are far away from God!

*Those folks is how I now signal my normal friends that I am talking about the people in the clutches of this bunch of misguided ideas. Ideas like patriarchy, dominionism and that singing a hymn slower makes it better. :naughty:

OK, that's two new topics for me, today. All I have to say. Carry on, FJites! Enjoy the autumn/spring weather where you are.

(I am a musician).

Horrible. Not sure how you could figure out WHAT words they were singing, since their enunciation was non-existent.

I understand the historical place of that hymn in Protestant music. That said, I (the musician part of me) HATE that song. I find the music stilted and without flow, and it is performed badly much more often than it is performed well. Definitely not my taste.

Another musician here who couldn't understand most of the words...

And some of them looked very nervous. In spite of what they've been taught, they weren't doing anything illegal.

I understand the historical place of that hymn in Protestant music. That said, I (the musician part of me) HATE that song. I find the music stilted and without flow, and it is performed badly much more often than it is performed well. Definitely not my taste.

What, you don't like scales? :lol:

Although, at that phenomenally slow tempo, it almost approaches a minimalist feeling -- like Glass or Cage -- each note existing

in

a

separate

universe . . . .

ETA -- I had it playing as I typed, and my theory is that the cheers and applause were from people thinking "Thank God they finally got to the end! Yippee -- nobody passed out from lack of oxygen!"

ETA -- I had it playing as I typed, and my theory is that the cheers and applause were from people thinking "Thank God they finally got to the end! Yippee -- nobody passed out from lack of oxygen!"

I didn't last long enough to hear the applause. :roll:

I didn't last long enough to hear the applause. :roll:

I could only manage it because I wasn't really paying attention, just letting it run while I typed. :lol:

But the change from the low drone, peppered with a few cries of children (future musicians?), suddenly changing to cheers and applause, caught my attention.

Hey, I have an idea -- these folks are usually really bad at history -- maybe they thought it was Gregorian chant! :lol:

Mein Gott im Himmel!

That is insanely awful. Poor Martin is spinning in his grave with that rendition.

You need an insane organist with a brass choir and a choir with Standhaftigkeit to offset that drivel.

written from my cold bedroom on a wet rainy windy 50 degree day in southern california, brrrrrrr

Pope Benedict XVI would be so proud of them, bless their little hearts. Which in Protestant terms means they are truly horrid singers. What ever happened to doing everything you to to the Glory of God (which means doing it well)? Anyone have a GOOD version of the hymn to chase the horror away.

GWwNwphuvbwThis was the first in a quick search

and another

GJT4uF9Fz64

Both are very different from each other, but both are MUCH more interesting than the first one.

THANK YOU WOLFIE! That first one was amazing. The MoTab is also singing slowly in a minor key but the talent there is shining through.

I should have known better than to open that link and listen. I tortured my ears yesterday when the local high school missed several notes on Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D-minor. And now this? I LOVE "A Mighty Fortress" and poor, poor Martin is probably rolling in his grave, moaning about his bleeding hears. that was just awful!

Archived