IGNORED

Modesty and Halloween

tropaka

Good lord. flip the fuck out about EVERY LITTLE THING, why don't you? Instead of hearing solutions for the Halloween mess, we get a long page of whining about 'skinny jeans' for little girls. Hello? they're all loose on little girls. You can't see the outlines of the butt or legs nearly as much as skinny jeans made for teen girls.

I agree that there's only sexy Halloween costumes anymore. I'd like more modest costumes too. But how about actually giving a solution re: Halloween, and not whining about something else? That's bad writing. Whoever wrote the article clearly forgot about the Halloween part. What are teens supposed to do for Halloween costumes, when NONE of them are up to parents' standards? Make their own? What about those of us who can't sew?

Oh, and this:

Michelle Icard, creator of the www.michelleinthemiddle.com blog for parents of middle schoolers and author of a school curriculum about the societal pressures of middle school, says nowadays girls don’t get to gradually transform into women.

“It ends up being a switch that gets flipped,†says Icard, of Charlotte. “You are a kid and then, boom, you are a young woman. It’s not fair to little girls who need time to make that transition.â€

Is complete horseshit. Even in the 'good old days' you wore kids' clothes until you got to big/old for them, then you started dressing almost exactly like your mother. We actually have more of a transition now than we did back in the '50s, when clothes actually started being sized for teenagers. I completely agree that young girls are being over-sexualized, but the girls who are being over-sexualized are the ones buying juniors' clothes. You go from looking like a little girl, to looking like an older girl (early middle school), to looking like a sex doll, to finally looking like a grown woman.

I laughed at the comment on skinny jeans. They fit my daughters the same way jeans fit me as a child in the eighties. Did they think that flares would stay in style indefinitely just because they show a little less calf?

Reading that article, I wonder if the author knows what "skinny jeans" are to a kid today. It's a cut or style of jeans. They're not talking about "skinny jeans" the way some women use the term to refer to jeans that are too small now, but will fit if they lose some weight. So, no, those little girls don't have to worry about fitting into their skinny jeans, they just pick skinnies instead of flares or bootcuts if that's what they want.

To add to this, I remember the exact same issues when I was a kid in the 80's too - at the time the style was skin tight from waste to ankle (and alas, before the advent of stretchy jeans - ouch) - and the same complaints were around about revealing or "sexy" Halloween costumes...so, I don't think it's really anything new.

To add to this, I remember the exact same issues when I was a kid in the 80's too - at the time the style was skin tight from waste to ankle (and alas, before the advent of stretchy jeans - ouch) - and the same complaints were around about revealing or "sexy" Halloween costumes...so, I don't think it's really anything new.

I totally had a pair of turquoise blue stirrup stretch "jeans" in the early 1990s. They. Were. Fabulous.

As a mother of girls, I've found myself making Halloween costumes for the past three years. Not because of modesty, but because the options available suck and/or the mass market costumes are pieces of polyester crap.

Uh, what?? I'm flabbergasted at the last bit, where it says that the mom is fine with her 7 year old "dressing sexy." :shock:

My DD wears skinnny jeans or leggings cause they are the only pants that will fit her. She has no butt. Plus she is three so I don't find it sexy at all.

Archived