IGNORED

Crisis Pregnancy center tells Jewish woman to convert......

dawn9476

Ugh... I would say thanks for sharing but I'm afraid I have to chastise you for raising my BP. Every time I hear about these places I get angrier but add in increasing government funds and religious condemnation and I think I may have hit peak anger levels this time. I know an old friend from my fundie-lite days who volunteers at one of these hellholes (who knew that would be such a fitting description) and I am always a second away from de-friending her because it makes me so angry (and the only reason I don't is because I think people like her really need to see happy, successful people who believe differently).

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x

I would love to, just once, find out about a "crisis pregnancy centre" that...

...honestly advertises itself for what it is

...takes client confidentiality seriously

...has a robust referral program that helps pregnant women connect with all the services they might need (e.g., housing, medical, food stamps, etc.)

...has trained staff on-site or offers free access to trained staff (such as a OBGYN or a counselor) off-site

...lobbies for universal healthcare and other legitimately pro-life causes

...offers comprehensive sex education classes, as well as free access to birth control (such as condoms)

Instead, most CPCs seem to be little more than lie factories that lure confused teens in with the promise of a free OTC pregnancy test that could be bought at any drug store.

...has a robust referral program that helps pregnant women connect with all the services they might need (e.g., housing, medical, food stamps, etc.)

...has trained staff on-site or offers free access to trained staff (such as a OBGYN or a counselor) off-site

...offers comprehensive sex education classes, as well as free access to birth control (such as condoms)

Instead, most CPCs seem to be little more than lie factories that lure confused teens in with the promise of a free OTC pregnancy test that could be bought at any drug store.

Amen. To quote the article I posted, "94% of which (the report found) have no medical professionals on their staff." These places are TOTAL shams and seem unstoppable. Ugh.

I sure as hell hope that the one in my area does not get any government money. FOR WHAT??? afaik, they only deal with pregnant Christian women who are planning an abortion. They give away donated goods, but the women have to take classes on Christianity in order to 'earn' them.

:shock:

Are these people FREAKING DUMB? Did they not think that when this hit the news that there'd be problems? We all know good and well that there are some Christians who will proselytize to anyone, anywhere, but given the political diciness around "crisis" pregnancy "centers," attempting to convert people in the guise of providing a service is going to go over as well as a fart in church.

I suspect these guys thought the Lord was going to protect them from discovery, but not so much.

There's a place in my town that claims to be a pro-life clinic. They claim to have doctors on staff and offer full medical services--except abortion or birth control, or referring patients to places that provide those services. For me, and a lot of other women, that is just not good enough. I refuse to call any place a "medical clinic" when it is a dead-end for so many necessary services. I need to be on hormonal birth control to treat PCOS, and it burns me up when places like this are so ignorant of what constitutes women's healthcare.

I just wanted to add, in case someone in a difficult situation ends up here from a random Google search, Planned Parenthood will not pressure you to get an abortion. They will offer whatever resources you are interested in and in many cases, counseling and health services that will help you make the right decision and cope with it. If you decide to keep the baby, there are government programs that can help you financially and a lot of kind people who will supply you with hand-me-down gear if you make your need known. Crisis Pregnancy Centers are not the only help available, so only go to one if you really want what they are offering.

I just wanted to add, in case someone in a difficult situation ends up here from a random Google search, Planned Parenthood will not pressure you to get an abortion. They will offer whatever resources you are interested in and in many cases, counseling and health services that will help you make the right decision and cope with it. If you decide to keep the baby, there are government programs that can help you financially and a lot of kind people who will supply you with hand-me-down gear if you make your need known. Crisis Pregnancy Centers are not the only help available, so only go to one if you really want what they are offering.

I couldn't get pregnant if I wanted to, but I've used Planned Parenthood's Gyn services most of my adult life. I only couldn't pay once; all other times I paid full price, because I want other women to have the same option of getting potentially life saving care if they cannot afford it.

Did they try and give me birth control? Well, yes and no. No, because a barren woman doesn't need it, Yes because, even though I can't have babies, I can catch diseases, so they offered me condoms. But no one offered me an abortion or an abortion pill any of the 15 or so times I've visited. Should I feel left out?

Archived