IGNORED

Maxwell 58: What Will Anna Do? Plus Anna Marie Gives Birth

Coconut Flan

On 1/12/2024 at 8:22 PM, theologygeek said:

I agree.  And if he does get criticism, he chalks it up to coming from heathen haters.  But if a photographer presented me with those pictures, I would be inconsolable and think that they ruined my wedding.  Those pictures are so bad that they are embarrassing.  I am being honest and would say if I liked them.  I would call him every name in the book.  I would demand my money back. I would put him on social media blast.  I would be livid because that is all a bride has to look back on after the wedding.  You can't get a do-over on weddings!  He took a picture of a dirty crockpot, a plastic bag, and blocked out one side of a picture with a paint program.  That is just unacceptable and he should be ashamed of himself for advertising as a professional photographer and robbing people blind  with that garbage.  

You know what's ironic about your post? Years ago, C.Max wrote an essay (probably on his photography website - no idea if it's still there) saying how you absolutely must hire a real professional, and how amateurs should absolutely never do a friend's wedding because if the bride and groom are unhappy with the pictures they could actually sue you. I'm sure it was meant to scare off amateurs with a nice camera and limited skills; it made me extra nervous about a couple weddings I had agreed to photograph as a favor for friends that year. And where is he now? Doing such bland, low-quality photos that someone with an iPhone and some Instagram filters could literally do better, cranking out the same tired poses that were already out of fashion 10+ years ago, but still shilling himself as a Professional Photographer™️ while his sister's work outshines him in every way. 

Maybe he should try writing children's books. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, Bethy said:

Maybe he should try writing children's books. 

Noooooooo, what have the poor children doe to deserve that????????

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 9

Re: the hideous hangers in all the wedding dress photos he takes. 

I worked as a second shooter for a wedding photographer, and photographed a number of weddings on my own as well pre-COVID. Here’s what I (and many other photographers) did: since you know you will be taking a photo of the wedding dress at every single wedding, and it’s very common for the bride to forget a nicer hanger or not have thought about it, you simply pop a nicer basic wooden hanger in with all your photography gear and then it’s always in there if needed at a wedding. It’s so easy, so cheap, you never even have to remember it again since it’s always just in your bag, and it makes a huge difference in the photos. Brides are always very grateful!

And it’s kind of surprising to me that Christopher has never thought of that or had it mentioned to him by another “professional” photographer in all these years. Probably because he doesn’t network with others/do any continuing education or anything.

Also he is terrible at photography. Terrible technically as well as with flattering poses (just generally. I’m not referring to height differences.) and the storytelling aspect of the wedding day. He just shows up with a professional camera and a big flash and lighting set up to “wow” the clients, but the end result is genuinely not professional quality and the photos are frankly bad.

Sarah is a million times better even though she had so much less given to her over the years in the way of opportunity with her photography career. At the most basic level she has an eye for photography and composition and Christopher quite simply does not.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 2

She also took nearly all the photos for the family blog over the years, which is a lot! 

• Upvote 9

On 1/11/2024 at 1:08 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

It makes what is probably something very tasty look disgusting.

I swan it's like Christopher isn't even trying to do a mediocre job.

Self-sabotage, d’you think? 

On 1/13/2024 at 2:26 AM, Melissa1977 said:

CSI Kansas,

Never watched a CSI in my life. Would record, stream and purchase DVDs of CSI Kansas! 

• Upvote 6

A thought about clothes hangers and brides’ photos:

I’d bring a pretty, satin-covered padded hanger with a shiny brass-toned hook. Christopher probably refuses to touch satin because it’s got gurl cooties and also feels nice so is sensuous and therefore unholy. 

A thought about a wife who’s taller than her husband. In high school there was a lovely tall girl who was dating  an older guy about 4” shorter than she.  (We’re talking sophomore and just-graduated, here, no hyperventilating :D )

I saw them out and about one weekend and awkwardly told her the next week he was very handsome … and she graciously replied, “And I’m taller than he is. I slouched the first time we went out, and he pushed me to stand straight and told me, ‘I’m proud to be seen with you, and want you to be yourself!’ So I always stand tall.”

I don’t even recall her name (888 in my graduating class) but I have always imagined they married and had a wonderful life together!  

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 17

On 1/12/2024 at 1:23 PM, Brittany15 said:

You know why I think Sarah is better? As a fundie woman she’s been taught to listen. She listens to her clients and finds out what they actually want. She listens to people who have told her what to improve on. As a female her ego isn’t above hearing criticism and improving herself. Christopher is an all important penis bearer and therefore knows better than everyone. He doesn’t need to listen to anyone (especially the bride and what she may want) and he doesn’t need to listen to criticism. 

Yes, I think the fact that Sarah will listen to women is key here, as it is usually the bride who has strong preferences about the photography, specific poses/styles. I'm not sure Christopher would be comfortable even talking to the bride unless the groom was also present...and in the circles where Christopher's services would be sought, the bride is going to have been told to just go along with whatever her husband wants, which is probably that he's really not going to care so long as there are a couple pictures to hang on the wall and send to Grandma because he's never thought about it or all he's ever seen are his parents' stiff portraits, so she shrugs and goes along with it, and Christopher does the same bland thing he's always done and nobody complains. Whereas Sarah can sit down with the bride, talk about her vision for the portraits, ask to see her Pinterest boards, and plan specific shots like the one with the shoes that she knows will make the bride's heart sing, so in the process she learns some new techniques and grows as an artist. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:46 AM, AverageGiraffe said:

I was also thinking it would have been nice to get that first reaction but in the next few where he's looking at and adjusting her dress, all I could think was "that man LOVE loves her". He looks like he won the lottery in every picture. I love that for her.

Going back to the latest wedding pictures, I kept scrolling to see if Christopher would capture the groom's first reaction upon seeing the bride but it was entirely missed.  I was like "why?" the prior pictures were totally leading up to it.  There were so many WTF shots and this is what a so-called professional photographer decides to take, make seemingly no effort to improve the pictures much less posts on his website as a testimonial?   

Interesting that Sarah's doing photography (fyi, I am catching up here after a bit of an FJ hiatus), she does seem to do a good job and her experience with the family blog / books actually translated into decent gigs for her. 

Anyway, the groom in the pictures does look very happy and with the height difference, they don't seem to care and I agree with @HereticHick that's healthy for them.   

• Upvote 11

I was thinking of Sarah vs Chris photography some more and I think Sarah also has a passion for it that Chris doesn’t have. Over the years she enjoyed taking pictures and it was a way for her to escape performing in the band which she hated. It was not something she was forced to do or something she was trying to squeeze money out of. Chris on the other hand wanted to be a paramedic but wasn’t allowed. He has been going through various careers to make money since then. Photography was never a passion for him- just a way to make money. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Brittany15 said:

I was thinking of Sarah vs Chris photography some more and I think Sarah also has a passion for it that Chris doesn’t have. Over the years she enjoyed taking pictures and it was a way for her to escape performing in the band which she hated. It was not something she was forced to do or something she was trying to squeeze money out of. Chris on the other hand wanted to be a paramedic but wasn’t allowed. He has been going through various careers to make money since then. Photography was never a passion for him- just a way to make money. 

ISB I wonder if, by the time Sarah began taking photos, she'd figured out Steve would take away anything that gave anyone pleasure so she kept her love to herself so as not to lose that as well. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

Kory's expression in every photo of them conveys "I can't believe how lucky I am to be married to this incredible amazing woman."

Sarah's expression in the photos is always "I'm so very very very very happy. My life is completely filled with joy and fun. Dad was wrong -- none of this is evil."

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 19

On 1/13/2024 at 11:09 PM, ifosterkittens said:

I wonder if Chris has rules about what types of homes he will photograph, like he does for weddings (no alcohol, no dancing, modesty). 

No homes of gay people or single parent families (except maybe a righteous widow selling her house because she is remarrying and moving). No books on the shelves other than the Bible and approved religious books! No tv may be present! The list goes on…

Edited by GreenBeans
Removed triple post
  • Upvote 14
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

No homes of gay people or single parent families (except maybe a righteous widow selling her house because she is remarrying and moving). No books on the shelves other than the Bible and approved religious books! No tv may be present! The list goes on…

And this might be why Chris's gallery is rather so small for someone who has been doing this for what, 10 years?  I mean for a "professional" wedding photographer he doesn't show that many "testimonials" (no pun intended) of his work.  Yes, he has had to deal with a sick wife for a time which would limit gigs, but still I think he has some very specific rules where he has refused some gigs or the potential client noped out.  

22 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Kory's expression in every photo of them conveys "I can't believe how lucky I am to be married to this incredible amazing woman."

Sarah's expression in the photos is always "I'm so very very very very happy. My life is completely filled with joy and fun. Dad was wrong -- none of this is evil."

I have been so happy for Sarah that when I think of her and her "out of Maxhell" life it brings a smile to my face.  I am so very, very pleased for her.   However way she got out of Maxhell, whatever/whoever facilitated her escape and getting Steveovah to do the seemingly impossible in letting his daughters go, I can tell she is just over the moon with her life now.   Honestly, her options were so very limited by her crazy Dad that it seems just miraculous that she and her sisters got out of there. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

I don’t think Chris has any trouble only being hired by people who fit his standards. No non fundi is going to look at his pictures and think- these are great I want to hire him. He is being hired by people who have connections with the family and are supporting “a Christian homeschool dad.” They are hiring him because of his beliefs, not for the quality of work. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 9

Brand-new blog post up shilling a homeschool family conference in NC in March. Looks like they're trying to revive the dog and pony show, just with no bus and no kidults. Steve and Teri are the only presenters mentioned...will be interesting to see if they're passing the baton to one or more of their sons (Christopher seemed to be heir apparent a few years back, but he has the most kids, the youngest kid, and the least healthy wife right now, so that's not such an easy transition to picture in 2024.) Will be interesting to see if we ever even see anything about it, without Sarah and her camera keeping the blog updated. Likely we'll have to settle for some passive aggression about weak men who "won't lead their families" (too many women/girls showing up in pants, and no crowd of dads pledging to take their TV out in the field to use for target practice) on Seriously.  

The whole thing just feels...weird. Like Twilight Zone weird. Same session titles they used to have back in the day. But no bluegrass ensemble of reversal kiddos to open the weekend, no daughters to run the book table, and didn't we conjecture when the girls collectively flew the coop that they'd most likely just sell off their existing inventory and fade away quietly? Even if they have a basement full of Moody books, are they likely to still be so proud of their author daughter Sarah, now the she wears jeans and jewelry and dated online and didn't have a no-touch courtship?

So many questions, but so few likely to be answered. 

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 11

15 hours ago, Bethy said:

Brand-new blog post up shilling a homeschool family conference in NC in March. Looks like they're trying to revive the dog and pony show, just with no bus and no kidults. Steve and Teri are the only presenters mentioned...will be interesting to see if they're passing the baton to one or more of their sons (Christopher seemed to be heir apparent a few years back, but he has the most kids, the youngest kid, and the least healthy wife right now, so that's not such an easy transition to picture in 2024.) Will be interesting to see if we ever even see anything about it, without Sarah and her camera keeping the blog updated. Likely we'll have to settle for some passive aggression about weak men who "won't lead their families" (too many women/girls showing up in pants, and no crowd of dads pledging to take their TV out in the field to use for target practice) on Seriously.  

The whole thing just feels...weird. Like Twilight Zone weird. Same session titles they used to have back in the day. But no bluegrass ensemble of reversal kiddos to open the weekend, no daughters to run the book table, and didn't we conjecture when the girls collectively flew the coop that they'd most likely just sell off their existing inventory and fade away quietly? Even if they have a basement full of Moody books, are they likely to still be so proud of their author daughter Sarah, now the she wears jeans and jewelry and dated online and didn't have a no-touch courtship?

So many questions, but so few likely to be answered. 

Either they didn't check out the church they're going to, or they are hurting for money.  The church has female pastors.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 20

55 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

Either they didn't check out the church they're going to, or they are hurting for money.  The church has female pastors.  

Huh.

https://restorationtriad.org/what-we-do

With roots in an Amish and Anabaptist history, we believe that the church of Jesus Christ is bigger than religion, culture, and the doctrines of men. Through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we pursue truth and love at all times, for all people. We know there is no one right way to do church, but there is one right way to know God: through his Son Jesus Christ.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 5

I have tickets for Six that night in Greensboro which is only an hour away. This burden on my heart is great. 😩 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

On 1/12/2024 at 6:15 PM, Sweetpickle said:

Looking at these photos I think Christopher wanted to be a crime scene photographer. He documents the weddings instead of capturing memories. There was meat in a Nesco. The bride sat on a chair. There is a Bible.

That wedding dress photo very much looks like the intro to a crime TV show. Bland dress, hanging loosely and abandoned, grey-toned filter... imagine if the image was slowly zoomed in as ominous music swells, then there's a splash of red blood across it as the title appears. "Fundamental Murder, the Unblessed Wedding."

On 1/13/2024 at 3:30 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Chris should do real estate photography instead of weddings. As many fundies before him, he’s not good with people. 

Why bother hiring him to do real estate photos? Just put up some security cameras and take captures when the lighting is worst. There you go. Same quality.

On 1/13/2024 at 5:09 PM, ifosterkittens said:

I wonder if Chris has rules about what types of homes he will photograph, like he does for weddings (no alcohol, no dancing, modesty). 

I wonder if he sends someone through first to make sure there's no art or photos with risqué images like a woman's bare knees? And that there's no alcohol in there, and nothing too obviously "worldly" to be seen.

On 1/16/2024 at 5:31 PM, Bethy said:

Yes, I think the fact that Sarah will listen to women is key here, as it is usually the bride who has strong preferences about the photography, specific poses/styles. I'm not sure Christopher would be comfortable even talking to the bride unless the groom was also present..

I can see this being an issue. And potentially an even bigger issue in this most recent wedding, since the groom's culture is different than Christopher is used to. When dad has spent most of your life sheltering you from having to adapt to dealing with other people with different beliefs, it's going to be tricky. 

31 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Huh.

With roots in an Amish and Anabaptist history, we believe that the church of Jesus Christ is bigger than religion, culture, and the doctrines of men. Through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we pursue truth and love at all times, for all people. We know there is no one right way to do church, but there is one right way to know God: through his Son Jesus Christ.

That's not too far from me! I'm definitely not going. 

That area does have a small Amish presence, anytime we're in that area my mom wants to stop at the Amish store and buy some stuff. They have a small store selling all sorts of food items with a small sandwich shop inside, and every time I've been it's been slammed busy. The store has electricity, air conditioning, and actual registers to ring up customers. I imagine working there is probably a popular job to have during the day. The workers are Amish and don't have electricity and such at their farm across the street. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Huh.

I don't know, but I think the whole thing is hilarious.   

• Upvote 2

Perhaps Stevehovah's plan in attending the conference is to witness to as many people as possible that the church is doing church All. Wrong.

That they aren't going where they may think they are going to spend eternity.  That the Stevehovah Maxwell Way is the the One. And. Only. Way. to worship God/Jesus.

So all these people need to listen up, get in line, and worship the Stevehovah way.

Because if they don't, Stevehovah will sure as shooting tell them where they're going to spend eternity ....... and it's not in heaven.

• Upvote 10

Wow, so S & T are going to a homeschool conference in the spring!? Actually it is nice to know that they are both feeling well enough to travel and do that.   My guess is they are presenting at the conference because they want to sell  the dozens and dozens of books, etc. that they have stored in their big basement. This is a last ditch attempt to reduce their inventory and make some money!  Without an active blog and the girls to help package up and mail items, all their literature is just sitting boxed up in the basement gathering dust.  
Wonder if they will visit Mary in WV since they’ll be near her college?  or if they will ask her to take a couple days off from college to come help them run the book selling booth at the conference?

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic