IGNORED

Tori and Bobby Smith 6: Now with Kade, Kolter, and Charlotte

GreyhoundFan

Tori has delivered baby number two, Kolter Gray Smith, on March 25.

Continued from here:

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Thank You 2

Please, God, dissuade them from continuing this theme, unless maybe their next pregnancy is twins. Having three kids with K names would be weird, right?

• Upvote 6

Alright time to put an end  to the "babies/kids can't get Corona" myth

New England Journal of medicine, pretty much the most highly regarded in our field: (and again I'm an MD, this isn't just Google):

Of the 1391 children assessed and tested from January 28 through February 26, 2020, a total of 171 (12.3%) were confirmed to have SARS-CoV-2 infection. Demographic data and clinical features are summarized in Table 1. (Details of the laboratory and radiologic findings are provided in the Supplementary Appendix, available with the full text of this letter at NEJM.org.) The median age of the infected children was 6.7 years.

Read more  

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2005073

18% of those 171 kids were under the age of 1 year.

Again, not many relieable papers out there since it is too soon (Especially in Europe and the US) to have enough relieable data, but I sure as fuck wouldn't take any chances with a newborn. (and grandparents presumable pretty high up the risk groups).

New data shows children can get severely ill from coronavirus; first known child death

For babies to be included in the study with details also requires the explicit consent of their legal guardians, as you can imagine not an easy question to ask ( or likely for the parents to agree.) Which reflects in the WHO statement:

COVID-19 is a new virus and we are still learning about how it affects children. We know it is possible for people of any age to be infected with the virus, but so far there have been relatively few cases of COVID-19 reported among children. The virus can be fatal in cases, so far mainly among older people with pre-existing medical conditions

Read more  

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

I do take the numbers coming out of China with a grain of salt, especially since they put whistleblower doctors who wanted to warn the general public early on in jail. (as we know now some of those are died) unfortunately it is too early forserious studies out of other countries esepecially when it comes to kids, so we can only look at the cases made public so far.

Children infected with this coronavirus are mostly showing mild symptoms. But there isn't enough data yet to say whether babies would fall into this category.

"Newborns are particularly vulnerable, and they may be exceptions to that general rule since they are so vulnerable," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of Preventive Medicine and Infectious Diseases at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine said.

Read more  

https://www.livescience.com/newborn-has-coronavirus-london.html

Referring to the last thread:

A nice article from the Guardian

Doubt is essential for science – but for politicians, it's a sign of weakness

It has never been more important to communicate the way science works. In politics, admitting a mistake is seen as a form of weakness. It’s quite the opposite in science, where making mistakes is a cornerstone of knowledge. Replacing old theories and hypotheses with newer, more accurate ones allows us to gain a deeper understanding of a subject. In the meantime, we develop mathematical models and make predictions based on data and available evidence. With something as new as this coronavirus, we started with a low baseline of knowledge. As we accumulate new data, our models and predictions will continue to evolve and improve.

And that's why people rather listen to some bored stay at home mum's uneducated Facebook posts about how Plexus is the definite cure all and cute (Iand completely useless) DIY facemasks and Trump tweets rather than medics and scientists.

IMG-20200409-WA0008.jpg

Edited by squiddysquid
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

13 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Please, God, dissuade them from Kontinuing this theme, unless maybe their next pregnancy is twins. Having three kids with K names would be weird, right?

Fixed that for ya ?

• Haha 20

Ugh, it's a horrible theme but I bet they'll continue. If the next is a boy, I predict Karter or Kason. Kaydence or Kymber for a girl. 

• Upvote 8

I still don’t think anything will still be as bad as the Kaytelinne I saw on a school roster this year. I’m honestly surprised with her name choices given the fact that her sisters all gave their kids relatively common, easy names. Like she could have called Kade Ellis since that’s his middle name and the name Kolter could have been anything else. I love names so I’m really curious to see how they continue to name their kids. 

• Upvote 9

I have some weird problem with names starting with the letter K. I hate them. I don't know why but the letter K at the beginning just bothers me. The only name I like starting with a K is Kelsey. 

So this K naming trend will drive me bonkers for all eternity. ?

Especially if they go for tryndie spellings. Ugh

• Upvote 5

The KKK theme made me think about “This is Us.” The triplets were Kate, Kevin and Kyle (who was stillborn.) I guess Rebecca and Jack we’re okay with having them be KKKs.

• Upvote 8

BUB Fail:
Tori and Bobby announced their second pregnancy on October 18th, along with the sex and the name. But according to the show, they revealed the sex to the family on Kelly’s birthday trip  (the weekend of Oct 26th) ??

• Upvote 13

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 3:20 AM, FaithAndReason said:

I have some weird problem with names starting with the letter K. I hate them. I don't know why but the letter K at the beginning just bothers me. The only name I like starting with a K is Kelsey. 

So this K naming trend will drive me bonkers for all eternity. ?

Especially if they go for tryndie spellings. Ugh

The only K name I really dislike so far is Zach and Whithey's Khloé, and that has nothing to do with the K and everything with the accent on the e and them not pronouncing it like you should when you accent the e like that.  It's like they're saying "the normal spelling rules don't apply to us" and that bothers me more than it should.

• Upvote 7

It really should be Khloë with the umlaut. Guess it doesn't look as pretty? ?‍♀️

• Upvote 4

On 5/11/2020 at 4:46 AM, Marly said:

The only K name I really dislike so far is Zach and Whithey's Khloé, and that has nothing to do with the K and everything with the accent on the e and them not pronouncing it like you should when you accent the e like that.  It's like they're saying "the normal spelling rules don't apply to us" and that bothers me more than it should.

In French it is usually written ''Chloé'' or ''Khloé'' (though the latter is a more recent and creative spelling) but it is because it's pronounced KLO-EH. The accent serves has dictating how to pronounce the ''e''. So I agree it is silly to add the accent aigu if you pronounce it KLO-ee. Maybe they added it to look cool eithout really searching about it.

• Upvote 10

29 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

Maybe they added it to look cool eithout really searching about it.

They 100% did this. I am willing to bet she thinks accents are like confetti that you sprinkle on a name for some extra zhush. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 8
  • Love 2

As a person who has the dreaded (‘) in her last name, I don’t know why anyone In America would put extraneous and/or incorrect characters in their child’s legal name. Why make some poor kid deal with that shizzle? Everything is attention seeking with these folks.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Meh, I don't really see a huge problem with the accent. Accents mean different things in different languages (pronunciation in French, stress in Spanish, intonation in Ancient Greek), but since we don't have accents in English, it doesn't really do anything, which fits here. I get why others don't like it, but I think it's on the same level as any other creative spelling (like changing the Ch to a Kh in this case). Now if Khloé was pronounced kloh-EE, with the stress on the second syllable, I'd hate it a lot more. That would sound really shrill, it'd be as bad as Spurgeon imo. 

ETA, pretty sure I've thought about this more than Whit and Zach did, lol

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

57 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Meh, I don't really see a huge problem with the accent. Accents mean different things in different languages (pronunciation in French, stress in Spanish, intonation in Ancient Greek), but since we don't have accents in English, it doesn't really do anything, which fits here. I get why others don't like it, but I think it's on the same level as any other creative spelling (like changing the Ch to a Kh in this case). Now if Khloé was pronounced kloh-EE, with the stress on the second syllable, I'd hate it a lot more. That would sound really shrill, it'd be as bad as Spurgeon imo. 

If characters are applied for no reason, it comes off looking both idiotic and pretentious at the same time, IMO.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Apparently most of us have, same with Spurgeon, heh-heh

• Upvote 3

I watched this weeks snooze fest.

I always get the feeling Bobby is hanging on by a thread. I really have nothing to base this on other than he always seems so slumped and quiet.  Tori does not strike me as low maintenance (no shit)  and Bobby was raised with a pretty comfortable lifestyle.  This all has to be such a culture shock to him.

At least he has Kelton.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

I always get the feeling Bobby is hanging on by a thread. I really have nothing to base this on other than he always seems so slumped and quiet.  Tori does not strike me as low maintenance (no shit)  and Bobby was raised with a pretty comfortable lifestyle.  This all has to be such a culture shock to him.

I see what you mean. Not that anything they do on film is completely unscripted, but the time Bobby looked kind of disgusted and shocked at Tori over Tori mentioning she ate microwaved eggs at home and he told her she would never have to eat microwaved eggs with him may have been unscripted. (I could have part of this wrong, but that's my recollection.) We will never truly know what happened in Nashville with Bobby's youth pastor job, but it seems odd that someone who is "called" to preach, be a youth minister and such would suddenly drop it and become something totally different. Bobby has always, on film, seemed quite serious to me, even more so than does Brandon. I bet he never throws his head back with a good guffaw.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Bobology said:

I see what you mean. Not that anything they do on film is completely unscripted, but the time Bobby looked kind of disgusted and shocked at Tori over Tori mentioning she ate microwaved eggs at home and he told her she would never have to eat microwaved eggs with him may have been unscripted. (I could have part of this wrong, but that's my recollection.) We will never truly know what happened in Nashville with Bobby's youth pastor job, but it seems odd that someone who is "called" to preach, be a youth minister and such would suddenly drop it and become something totally different. Bobby has always, on film, seemed quite serious to me, even more so than does Brandon. I bet he never throws his head back with a good guffaw.

What’s wrong with microwaved eggs? Asking for a friend? 

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

What’s wrong with microwaved eggs? Asking for a friend? 

What are microwave eggs? I have to admit I am left clueless... what kind of eggs do you get (compared to hard/soft boiled, scrambled, fried...) - how do you prepare it? Is it like an omelette?

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Tori and Bobby Smith 6: Now with Kade, Kolter, and Charlotte
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic