IGNORED

Winter is coming

47of74

In the GoT sense too

A potent winter storm will move across the region Friday afternoon and could drop more than a half-foot of snow on parts of Eastern Iowa. Winter Storm Warnings and Watches go into effect Friday and continue Saturday.

“The storm is strengthening as it draws closer to impacting Iowa,” said First Alert Storm Team Meteorologist Joe Winters. “The first flakes will fall starting late Friday afternoon and will likely impact the evening commute.”

Winters said the heaviest snowfall will happen during the overnight Friday into Saturday morning. The snow should come to an end Saturday afternoon.

Snow totals across eastern Iowa will range from six to ten inches with locally heavier amounts, Winters said.

Looks like I'll be sticking round the house Saturday.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My daughter is cutting short her visit to do a marathon drive eastward ahead of the storm.  She lives not far from Newark, NJ.  There is a forecast for below 0 temps in a couple days!  I hope she drives fast (but safely). 

Everyone stay safe and warm! 

I rescheduled an appointment for Saturday morning as I was not about to navigate a snowstorm just to touch up my hair.

Heading to work early tomorrow so I can get home before it starts.

Please stay safe and warm FJites in the path of the storm!  In the southeast, I do't think we're due for any snow although maybe the northern mountains might get some.  We will be in for some cold temperatures, but not like you guys will have.  Brrr.....

My sister decided not to fly up here this weekend due to the weather. I’m getting some take n bake for tomorrow evening and doing some other stuff here in town.

It was 45 here yesterday with drizzle in the morning and steady rain in the afternoon.  We did have a few periods of torrential rain in the evening.  I woke up this morning to sun and WIND!  It's 39, but feels much colder due to the blasts of wind.  

I checked out the webcam in a town in the Adirondacks where one of my daughters has a cottage.  The temperature there dropped 5 degrees -from 1 above to 4 below- in an hour.  People are having fun on the slopes and on the snowmobile trails though.

Turned out to not be as bad as they predicted. We got 5.5 inches Friday night into Saturday morning. The main roads were pretty much clear by noon on Saturday. If I had known how the weather was going to turn out I wouldn’t have gotten take n bake pizza Friday evening and we would’ve gone out last night.

Now it’s cold with the temperatures hovering around zero.

We got about 14” (35cm), which is what they were expecting.  The streets are mostly cleaned up already, which is good because I have to go home for lunch tomorrow—cousin’s day program is closed for the holiday and the home health aide doesn’t arrive til early afternoon.  The only drawback is that it will be around 4F (-15C) for the next two days.  But if the snow stops, I’ll take it.

More winter weather is expected tomorrow. Then it’s supposed to get really fornicating cold later this week. As in minus 20 before the wind chill.

We had -40 this morning.  Granted, that was including windchill, but it was SO painfully cold. It warmed up a bit before the evening, but not by that much.

No snow in southeastern VA, as usual. Just rain a couple days ago, and now, for us, bone-chilling cold. We're not used to 20 degree temps with wind chills in the single digits. But wait! It will be almost 60 by Wednesday! Crazy.

Stay warm and safe, fellow FJ'ers. 

If I had vacation time to play with a last minute escape to Florida to visit my sister would be in order right about now.

We've been at close to minus 40 since Saturday and I'm getting fed up. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow finally but now we have a chance of freezing rain after another expected dumping of snow overnight. Winter is highly overrated.

@Playagirl you and I must live close by, since we have the same weather. Our traffic was so crazy this morning I chose to walk instead of drive, despite the close to -40 temps. Ridiculous.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, Jigsaw3 said:

@Playagirl you and I must live close by, since we have the same weather. Our traffic was so crazy this morning I chose to walk instead of drive, despite the close to -40 temps. Ridiculous.

Canadian girl here. I think half of this country is having the same nasty weather this week. You're lucky you can walk to work. My commute is a one hour drive on the best of days. Add some snow to the mix and it turns into 2 or 3 hours each way. Blech!

Below zero in the morning, with -20/30F wind chills all day. It's 18F right now. COLD. Staying in the next couple of days cooking big pots of hot food. Went out yesterday to prepare. BRRRRR

Anyone else in the southern Quebec/eastern Ontario area wants to hop on a plane to an all-included vacation in Cayo Coco, Cuba? I need to see the SUN.?

It started last week on sunday, with a snowstorm as awful as a snowstorm can be, with 25 cm of snow, wind, zero visiblity on roads, all topped with extreme cold. In itself, that is unusual considering the temperatures are usually a bit warmer during a storm. It was at least in the -20 celsius on sunday. Then for monday and tuesday, at least we only had little snowfall here and there (around 5-10 cm) but it was still freezing cold, in the -30 celsius with windchill. Until wednesday night, we got freezing rain. I was out when it started and it was not so bad on the sidewalks. It was the next day that was worst. The temperatures went up, and we got RAIN. Rain in the winter is the worst. It rained all day so we got a good amount of water, but considering the quantity of snow from the previous storm, the rain made all of that melt. Yeah. Imagine it. The whole city was just flooded. Walking the streets to get to work took me double the time. It was awful. Slush ice and puddles (more like lakes) all over Montreal. The next day, the temperatures went down to -15 celsius. So all the water froze. No fun. The sidewalks were a killer. I just hope next week is calm. I hate the cold usually, but I'd take that over the meteo cocktail we had.

My parents are leaving for Guadeloupe in february. I am NOT JEALOUS at ALL. :pb_lol:

I'm in the Chicago area and the weather sure is looking awful. This past Friday it was below 0F when I was commuting to work, which was not fun, and there was some snow yesterday, but all of that seems like a walk in the park compared to what could come. Tonight into tomorrow we're supposed to get snow. I'm not quite sure how much since I have heard numbers as low as 3-5 inches and as high as 10-12 inches, though I'm going to guess that it will be at the lower end of the range. After that, the temperature will plummet; the temperature might not rise above 0F from early Tuesday Morning until sometime on Friday. But the absolute worst will be on Wednesday. Apparently in the suburb I live in, the high is supposed to be -17F and the low -24F (in Chicago it is supposed to be slightly warmer with -13F for a high and -19F for a low). Those numbers do not include wind chill. With wind chill, those numbers could be closer to -50F. 

I hate the winter.

4 hours ago, Caskett4ever said:

I'm in the Chicago area and the weather sure is looking awful.

Fellow Chicago area person here. I've been in for three days. All this week is in the deep freeze,, especially Wednesday night, with projected wind chills of 25-35 below zero. Good time to catch up on reading and cooking.

6 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Fellow Chicago area person here. I've been in for three days. All this week is in the deep freeze,, especially Wednesday night, with projected wind chills of 25-35 below zero. Good time to catch up on reading and cooking.

I'm about 180 miles west of Chicago and the weather is taking a turn for the crappy around here. 

Got a bunch of new snow coming in.  Then it's going to be followed by a couple days when it's going to be fornicating cold, with one day where the high temperature is expected to be -17 F.  Before any wind chill comes in to play.  Good time just to hang around the house and study. 

Some of us at work are lobbying our platform controller to work from home Wednesday when the windchills are supposed to be at something like -30 and the actual temps below 0.  

11 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Some of us at work are lobbying our platform controller to work from home Wednesday when the windchills are supposed to be at something like -30 and the actual temps below 0.  

They're talking -50 for the windchills around here.

I called my dentist to see if they were still planning to be open on Wednesday as I have an appointment that afternoon.  They're planning to be so I guess I'll go get it out of the way then.

It was snowing for a bit this morning and coming down pretty good too.  It appears to have stopped for the time being.  The roads are still mostly covered around here right now but maybe by this evening they'll be better.

I'm so fornicating cold I think my pilot light went out.

Archived