IGNORED

Winter is coming

47of74

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be careful if you're going out in this cold, use a buddy system or make sure someone knows where you're going and when you expect to be back. We had a local college student die from exposure this weekend. He went on a hike, alone and got lost in a snowstorm. His roommates reported him missing the next day but in all likelihood he was already dead by then. They found him just 300 feet from the road. 

I admit I’m a wimp, only living in earthquake/fire threat world - but I read those temperatures and can’t imagine how they don’t have schools, roads, etc. shut down? 

They do in a lot of places.  Minneapolis, Chicago, and Madison (that I know of; I'm sure there are more) have closed schools through Thursday.  Many places of business are closed also.

59 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

I admit I’m a wimp, only living in earthquake/fire threat world - but I read those temperatures and can’t imagine how they don’t have schools, roads, etc. shut down? 

Any schools in my area that have not already cancelled will be cancelling soon. My daughter's school has already cancelled school tomorrow and I would not send her if there was school. No superintendent would want to take on the risk of having school when frostbite can occur in ten minutes or less.

Some have already cancelled through Thursday, but many are waiting until tomorrow to make that determination.

18 hours ago, Bethella said:

Be careful if you're going out in this cold, use a buddy system or make sure someone knows where you're going and when you expect to be back. We had a local college student die from exposure this weekend. He went on a hike, alone and got lost in a snowstorm. His roommates reported him missing the next day but in all likelihood he was already dead by then. They found him just 300 feet from the road. 

I read in the news this morning about a man in MN who got locked out of his home Sunday and froze to death ("death due to hypothermia and frostbite").

In the words of the sergeant from Hill Street Blues, be careful out there.

Where I live trash service is canceled tomorrow.  And schools are already announcing closures.  

And the United States Postal Service has suspended delivery in the Midwest tomorrow;

Due to projected deteriorating weather conditions related to Polar Vortex Jayden, postal delivery operations will be suspended for all of South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota and North Dakota.

There will be no collection mail pick up from businesses or collection boxes.  Additionally, there will be no residential or commercial package pick-up services.

Postal service in portions of Montana, Wisconsin, Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas will also be affected.

As someone who has family members who carried for the USPS, I'm glad their putting the people first by having them not go out tomorrow.  I think this is about the first time I've heard of them doing this. 

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

Where I live trash service is canceled tomorrow.  And schools are already announcing closures.  

same here; trash pickup delayed by one day for the rest of the week, no school anywhere in the county for 2 days.  a lot of small businesses are closing tomorrow, and there are a lot of travel advisories (no bans yet).

My sister had school canceled Monday and it is canceled tomorrow and Thursday as well. As far as universities go, I have heard of schools closing for the weather from Kansas to Ohio and pretty much everywhere in between. I'm currently doing an internship and was so glad that my company made it clear that they highly recommended everyone work from home. It is just so dangerous to be outside tomorrow. You could get frostbite so quickly. We're worried enough about letting our dog out to go to the bathroom.

I sprinted to this thread because I thought it was about Game of Thrones ?

Stay warm and safe y’all! 

And some important polar vortex alcohol related survival tips...

-28 here when I got up this morning.  Current temperature is -27.

It's fucking cold.

And then USPS in MO & KS decides to deliver the mail after all.

MU in Columbia canceled classes - 4 minutes before first class today and only because a contractor had bus issues.  Meaning students had walked or drove to class and then had to go home.  (meanwhile other colleges in the area - 2 within throwing distance of the MU Campus - are open)

No mail in Indianapolis today, and no trash service today or tomorrow. Most (maybe all) the schools are closed, and since I hate taking time off, I'm currently sitting in my office with a scarf on because not even having the heat on 78 is helping to keep this building warm. The windchill outside right now is -35F and I am counting the minutes until I can go and cocoon myself under my heated blanket. 

Michigan State cancelled for the 7th time ever in college history.
And MI isn't getting mail--which is OK, my things to mail can wait another day, they're already late Christmas gifts :P

My employer is a nonprofit and I frantically got a hold of all my volunteers last ngiht and told them NOT to come in today--and we closed (rarity) for safety of employees and possible customers--we're not a 'required' service and we dont' want people heading out unnecessarily. 

I had already made childcare arrangements for my kid (grandparents FTW on snow days) and dropped her off before this happened though...and nobody wanted to drive back and get her, because as it was, last night, there was a LOT of blowing/drifting.  There was a stretch of road where I was just aiming the car between landmarks I knew, because that's where I know the road is...but I couldn't see the difference between road and field.
(and for God's sake, we shouldn't have to make laws about snow fencing, but we damn well should because company farms make REALLY bad neighbors.  2 feet allowed to go fallow or $12 worth of reusable orange fencing would cut WAY down on accidents and IMO deaths on my country roads)

12 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I sprinted to this thread because I thought it was about Game of Thrones ?

Stay warm and safe y’all! 

WinterCameHouseIowa.thumb.png.c87dbf7a73b19a121fe0c94108411677.png

20 hours ago, clueliss said:

No postal deliveries in Missouri or Kansas either.  

Parts of Kansas. It's in the +20s here; I'd be amazed if I did not get mail today.

I hope everyone is doing okay in the Midwest. I hated when we had our -34 celsius extreme cold earlier this year. I am glad to hear a lot of things are closed. Staying in is best at times.

I have heard it is pretty bad in Manitoba as well (but they are used to that... we don't call it Winterpeg for nothing).

7 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

According to science we may be in for more of this .  But then our Most Intelligent President Ever!!! that stupid orange ass would just say we need a blast of global warming.  

https://chicago.suntimes.com/environment/polar-vortex-frequency-increasing/

Ok you definitely don't want more of this but speaking as someone living where it has had the hottest days on record recently - you definitely don't want the warming part either. 45oC+ (113oF+) for multiple days is not fun.

I didnt' say that Mr. Dawbs took my car today, because his froze out.
So I kept running out of ingredients while trying to make comfort food.

Tomorrow he's going to see if his jump held, if not, he takes mine again and gets a battery for his on the way home.
(Me, I'll be stranded at home again; I have to go for a small med. procedure, so I"m not allowed to drive tomorrow anyhow. I really hope work and school are open tomorrow, I'm paid hourly, this kinda sucks.  I can make some up on saturday though, because my boss is trying)

Archived