IGNORED

Winter is coming

47of74

On 1/30/2019 at 9:19 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

Our POS governor said that school being cancelled was a sign that kids were "soft."

Know who else downplayed bad weather? The captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Stay safe everyone.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it looks like there is school tomorrow.
fingers crossed.

Same here where I am. Plenty of parents are ready for their kids to go back.

Oh my fornicating God it's above zero now!

My phone says tomorrow's high will be about 65! 

I'm hoping to do some major housecleaning, so if it gets that warm I may open the windows for a while in the afternoon.

This is part of why my clothing situation is a mess. Between aggressive air-conditioning and crazy weather swings, I can only put away a few seasonal items in storage - most of my wardrobe I may need year round!

We made it to +1F this morning, and should get to 15 later today. Tomorrow will be 35F, and 53F by Monday. The only drawback is that much of the >2feet (61 cm) of snow will melt and could lead to flooding. I’m ready to handle that risk. 

Buffalo NY here. According to our weather man, there will be an 80 degree difference in less than a week. A few days ago we were -30, and by Monday we are supposed to be around 50-52 degrees! Crazy crazy crazy!!! My boss sent us all home early (paid) on Tuesday to get ahead of the storm, then we were closed Wednesday (paid) due to a travel ban. I'm very lucky to work a job where they pay us for snow days. I certainly don't take that lightly!

The sun is shining brightly for the first time in days and it feels fantastic. It's still cold as hell but -24 is much better than -40.

It's interesting to hear what different areas do during extreme cold wrt school. Here in my part of Ontario, Canada they never close the schools, they just cancel bus service. So parents are free to drive their kids to school and pick them up, or let them walk if they live close. Not much actual work gets done since tons of kids stay home, but the option is there for those who want it, and it helps financially for folks who can't afford unexpected childcare costs. I guess maybe we're more used to extremely cold weather so we mostly just bundle up and carry on with our day. Even when it was minus 38 last week I still went for my noon hour walk every day and passed many people out and about. Doesn't mean I like the weather but our winters are so long that I'd go stir crazy if I stayed inside for months on end. I did, however, book a trip south for the end of the month to get a week of quality sunshine.

@TheOneAndOnly, I now have Gordon Lightfoot running through my head. Good thing I'm a huge fan of his.

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

Buffalo NY here. According to our weather man, there will be an 80 degree difference in less than a week. A few days ago we were -30, and by Monday we are supposed to be around 50-52 degrees! Crazy crazy crazy!!! My boss sent us all home early (paid) on Tuesday to get ahead of the storm, then we were closed Wednesday (paid) due to a travel ban. I'm very lucky to work a job where they pay us for snow days. I certainly don't take that lightly!

Hey neighbor!  Today around 1pm I had to run from Buffalo to Williamsville for a late paycheck delivery, and when I got in my car, it was *warm* !!  And I didn’t need my mittens or earmuffs!  I was so happy.  It probably wasn’t above freezing yet, but after the last three days, it certainly felt like it.

17 minutes ago, catlady said:

Hey neighbor!  Today around 1pm I had to run from Buffalo to Williamsville for a late paycheck delivery, and when I got in my car, it was *warm* !!  And I didn’t need my mittens or earmuffs!  I was so happy.  It probably wasn’t above freezing yet, but after the last three days, it certainly felt like it.

Oh I know! It has been downright freezing! I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't wear jackets because I'm never cold....even I wore a jacket this week! I can't wait until it's 52 on Monday! 

The one faucet that had stopped running just came back on -- must be a heat wave!

I'm just glad the entire water supply to the house didn't freeze. That happened last winter, and it was not pretty.

The pipe that brings water to our house extends back through our large yard, the back-door neighbors' large yard, past their house and to their street, and it is not as deep as it would be if the current code had applied when the house was built - only 21 inches down, if I remember correctly from when the water authority guy looked at it.

It should be at least 42 inches down, to be 6 inches below the frost line.

If temps stay low enough for long enough, the pipe freezes. Since the part that freezes is underground outside, somewhere along that long pipe, there's no way to fix it permanently without a major digging project (and yes, it would be our responsibility, according to the water authority).

I'm not up for that, so watching the forecast carefully and leaving taps running slightly is the only solution -- I grit my teeth at the waste, but it's got to be done.

My dishwasher was frozen yesterday, but the water is flowing again today. It's practically a spring day here in metro Chicago, in the forties. I went to a funeral and grocery shopping.

23 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Here it was 9 on Wednesday.  It's 63 right now. It's supposed to hit 70 tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had seven more inches of snow last night in to this morning.  I didn't go anywhere yesterday since it was still blowing around pretty hard when I got off work.  Going in this evening. 

I'm ready for spring now. 

5 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Just had an ice storm here, the weather is unrelenting. I'm tired.

Yeah me too.  After work yesterday I wanted to head in town for a while just to get out of the house.  Hearing the words whiteout (and not the Orange Fuck Face rally kind) and tow ban changed my mind for me.  Didn't want to be out in that.

My brother got stuck on his way to work this morning so my dad had to go help dig him out.

Dear, sweet Rufus, in the name of all that is holy, please, please, make it stop snowing. As a Canadian, I'm used to long, cold winters but this endless snow is getting ridiculous. I'm tired of shovelling; there's nowhere left to put the snow and my back is sore. Commuting has become a nightmare; I'm spending more time in my car than in my office. My kitty is pissed that she can't go out in this blizzard so she's taking her frustration out on me; my legs have been scratched and bitten more today than when she was tiny.  My furnace quit this morning; it's up and running now and my feet have finally thawed out, but that's an added expense I didn't need. And the icing on the cake, since I was stuck at home waiting for the furnace tech to show up, I made bread and it didn't rise. No idea why; probably too damn cold.

Rufus, if you can't stop the snow, please at least put an end to my crankiness.

Amen.

We had 6.5 inches of snow yesterday.

The forecast right now is for another 3 to 6 inches Tuesday night into Wednesday.

Jesus Fornicating Christ Mother Nature.  Enough already.

Archived