IGNORED

Justin Schneider gets no jail for kidnapping and assaulting a woman wants to be a better father

AmazonGrace

Justin Schneider got away with kidnapping, strangling and masturbating on her unconscious body  with a severe, "I hope you won't do this again"

and now he's saying he wants to be a better father.

What the hell, child protection services? He has access to his kids?

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/21/us/alaska-assault-man-no-sentence/index.html

Going back to this, if he'd beaten up a guy outside a pub and strangled him to the point of unconsciousness he'd almost certainly be in jail, no matter how good a father he told the judge he wanted to be. I sincerely hope the prosecution appeals the sentence, because it is ridiculous.

12 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Going back to this, if he'd beaten up a guy outside a pub and strangled him to the point of unconsciousness he'd almost certainly be in jail, no matter how good a father he told the judge he wanted to be. I sincerely hope the prosecution appeals the sentence, because it is ridiculous.

I don't think they will because it was the prosecutors who made the deal with him.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anchorage-alaska-justin-schneider-sentence-judge-michael-corey-recall-campaign/

Anchorage Assistant District Attorney Andrew Grannik said Wednesday that Schneider lost his job working for the federal government as a result of the case, a consequence he called a "life sentence," KTVA reports.

Grannik said he agreed to the plea deal based on Schneider's enrollment and progress in a treatment program, and an expert's assessment that the risk of him re-offending is low.

"I hope it doesn't happen," Grannik said. "That's the reason why I made the deal that I've made, because I have reasonable expectations that it will not happen. But I would like the gentleman to be on notice that that is his one pass -- it's not really a pass -- but given the conduct, one might consider that it is."

In November the residents have a chance to vote the judge out:

Advocates are pushing to oust Superior Court Judge Michael Corey in November when he faces a vote to keep him on the bench, months after a successful recall of a California judge who sentenced former Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner to six months in prison for sexual assault.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article219006455.html#storylink=cpy

• 2 weeks later...

I hope he gets voted out, what a bullshit sentence. There seems to be a serious dose of white privilege here. 

Couple of things that cross my mind with this.

On 9/24/2018 at 3:25 AM, Ozlsn said:

So when he kills someone it'll be a total shock to the judge? Probably not to most other people though.

That strangulation is a strong indicator of future homicidal acts has been known for quite some time.  From a study way back in 2007:  Non-fatal strangulation is an important risk factor for homicide of women.   The simple fact that strangulation was involved should have put this jackwagon behind bars for years. 

Doesn't this sound like a fetish crime, where the perp fantasized about exactly how this had to play out and then made it happen.  What are the chances that this is not his first crime, but simply the one where he was caught? 

And what is the likelihood that he's a master manipulator, rather than a reformed criminal? He did select his victim for her vulnerability.  His victim was a Native woman; this population already has a scary high percentage of abuse and assault. The plea deal was a message that attacks on Native women don't count. 

ETA: And this involved kidnapping.  KIDNAPPING!!!!!

Yup, heads should roll and this should really piss off every sane person. 

Archived