IGNORED

Iowa State student murdered

47of74

An Iowa State University student from Spain was assaulted and murdered.

Ames police are planning a 10 a.m. news conference to provide new information in the killing of ISU student Celia Barquin Arozamena.

The suspect in the case, Collin Daniel Richards, appeared in court Tuesday morning.

Barquin Arozamena was the 2018 Big 12 champion and Iowa State Female Athlete of the Year.

The university says the native of Puente San Miguel, Spain, was finishing her civil engineering degree this semester after exhausting her eligibility at Iowa State in 2017-2018.

I know this makes me an awful person, but I'm just going to come right out and say it.  I don't see the likes of Steve King, Kim Reynolds, Joni Ernst, Chuck Grassley, or all those reich wing dumb fucks giving a shit about this young woman whose life came to a violent end.

I was thinking the same thing. I checked Steve King's twitter, even, which is a disgusting experience that I try to avoid, and no mention, because of course he's nothing but an absolutely shameless white supremacist who only cares about things insofar as he can be overtly neo-nazi about them. Maybe nobody told him that Celia was a blonde Spaniard.

There IS a pattern here-- young women with bright futures violently and randomly murdered while out trying to better themselves in athletic pursuits. I understand that more people were interested in what happened to Mollie, because she was missing for such a long time. But it's still surprising that Barquin's death hasn't been a bigger story. From what I can tell, she was a pretty big deal in the world of golf. Poor woman.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:46 AM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I was thinking the same thing. I checked Steve King's twitter, even, which is a disgusting experience that I try to avoid, and no mention, because of course he's nothing but an absolutely shameless white supremacist who only cares about things insofar as he can be overtly neo-nazi about them. Maybe nobody told him that Celia was a blonde Spaniard.

There IS a pattern here-- young women with bright futures violently and randomly murdered while out trying to better themselves in athletic pursuits. I understand that more people were interested in what happened to Mollie, because she was missing for such a long time. But it's still surprising that Barquin's death hasn't been a bigger story. From what I can tell, she was a pretty big deal in the world of golf. Poor woman.

And of course since Richards is a white dude almost on cue we're getting the same hand-wringing bullshit from KCRG about what a troubled young man Richards was.

Police in Ames had repeated interactions with a troubled drifter in the weeks between his release from prison and his alleged killing of a star student golfer from Spain.

Ames police reports show that 22-year-old Collin Richards struggled with drug and alcohol abuse, mental health problems and homelessness after he got out of prison in June.

Records released to The Associated Press show that Richards' name also came up in a criminal investigation in which several officers served a warrant at the home of one of his associates in August.

Hey, KCRG.  I don't give a fuck if Richards was a troubled young man.  Keep that self righteous sanctimonious horseshit to your self.  You didn't engage in this sort of hand wringing after Mollie died.

Archived