IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

@Alisamer I feel your pain! So frustrating! And when you ask them for a new photo they always say it will be hard to get. Really? You work a goverment job in an office and not one single person owns a smartphone?

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our son recently sent us a photo of himself taken by a friend using an iPhone 8 and the portrait setting.

Wow. I mean wow. 

I know nothing of how this works but it is amazing.

22 hours ago, Georgiana said:

According to JRod, canned green beans are LITERALLY a tool that Satan uses to attack the faithful. It is best to avoid them, even if you secretly enjoy them like me.  Can't let Satan's cans get in your house!

I wish Jill would take a leaf out of Jessa's book and just admit she's not a good cook.  Even Jessa posts recipes sometimes, but when she does, she admits they are nothing fancy.  She posts it with an attitude of "I'm not a good cook, but if I can make this successfully, it's basically foolproof! Plus the family loves it!"  And quick, easy, foolproof recipes that toddlers will eat?  There's DEFINITELY a market for that.  

Jill would do better if she were willing to be more honest like that.  "Hey, I like to cook using these canned foods like I had when we were growing up.  I know, I know...but canned can be easier for some people, and maybe you're like me and this is your comfort food :)" There honestly is a market for that!  I don't have a lot of freezer space and I live in a bit of a food desert, so canned is usually easier for me to buy.  It lasts, it's cheap, and I can store it wherever.  I would actually appreciate creative recipes that "dress up" canned foods, because it is SO much easier for me to buy canned!  And I don't really know of many bloggers that exploit this niche because canned foods are looked down on these days.  

Be yourself, Jill.  You'll never be as good a Jessa as Jessa, but you can be a good you.

I couldn’t agree more! Comfort foodmay not always look great, but sometimes it’s just what you’re craving. One of my family’s ways of “dressing up” canned peas (and the ONLY way I’ll eat them from a can) is super easy-chop up a small onion, sauté over medium heat in olive oil for a few minutes, then add the drained canned peas, salt and pepper. Continue cooking at medium heat, occasionally stirring, until the peas and onions are basically carmelized. They are yummy and not at all mushy. My friends now request my “fried peas” when I’m making dinner for them.

2 hours ago, ElephantPatronus said:

I couldn’t agree more! Comfort foodmay not always look great, but sometimes it’s just what you’re craving. One of my family’s ways of “dressing up” canned peas (and the ONLY way I’ll eat them from a can) is super easy-chop up a small onion, sauté over medium heat in olive oil for a few minutes, then add the drained canned peas, salt and pepper. Continue cooking at medium heat, occasionally stirring, until the peas and onions are basically carmelized. They are yummy and not at all mushy. My friends now request my “fried peas” when I’m making dinner for them.

All the food shaming is really pissing me off--there are plenty of reasons to use packaged food. And Im not going to start soaking a handful of dried beans so that I can season and cook them and then cook them again in order to have a couple of tablespoons of refried beans for a taco. 

I will say I don't think that there has been that much shaming really.  Most people are saying this isn't really blog worthy.  I tend to agree, they are not really unique ideas, so why would someone want to see this idea?  I don't think anyone has issues with making up a cinnamon toast recipe. I may not like the food, but thats not really the issue, the issue is why would you think this should be on a blog?

17 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

It's Jill's lack of curiosity that is her problem in the kitchen, not how she was raised.

That could certainly be part of it.  Maybe because she was raised to never question anything, never read a book beyond Wisdom books and the bible, that she doesn't feel comfortable branching out on much of anything, and that includes exploring new foods and new (to her) cooking methods.  It's been a long time since I was in my 20's, but I shared an apartment with a roommate and once a week, we took turns experimenting with new recipe ideas.  It was a lot of fun.  Don't laugh, but one of our "new to us" recipes was Cornish hens stuffed with a rice mix.  My roommate made a really good eggplant dish and I'd never had eggplant before.  That's also when I first made chile rellanos.  

But Jill has to cook something that hopefully all four of them will like, so maybe that's part of why she sticks with what seems bland and somewhat boring?

30 minutes ago, patsymae said:

And Im not going to start soaking a handful of dried beans so that I can season and cook them and then cook them again in order to have a couple of tablespoons of refried beans for a taco. 

I have done this and admit that I much prefer the store bought refried beans to my version.  I enjoyed the process, but I haven't repeated it.  :penguin-wink: 

It's not food shaming, it's why in the fuck does she think that's blog worthy? There are days that I eat the crappiest pasta which looks like a poor man's hamburger helper. It's amazing, fatty, cheesy, heart attacking inducing and I would eat it for days and days and days. I also eat frozen pizza and frozen lasagnas. I'm not sharing my crap and thinking that people will look at it and say "Mmmm delicious." Will I cook it for friends on a day that we are all hungover and need some crap? Hell yes! We all eat food that doesn't look great, we all eat crap from time to time; but most of us don't think that our crap is blogworthy.  

Many people do seem to think kids require bland food.  I don't think thats right, but that could add to it.  I know my parents jumped in to try to save my 2 year old from eating a hot pepper, and he looked upset until I gave it back to him, he thought it was great, but older people in the US just don't think kids can eat that stuff.

I love store brand mac and cheese. Darn good eating. I wouldn't blog on social media about like it's a clever recipe, not even if I "fancy it up with cut up hot dogs." The closet I would come is mentioning it on Facebook as enjoying some yummy comfort foid. 

15 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Many people do seem to think kids require bland food.  I don't think thats right, but that could add to it.  I know my parents jumped in to try to save my 2 year old from eating a hot pepper, and he looked upset until I gave it back to him, he thought it was great, but older people in the US just don't think kids can eat that stuff.

I think it really depends on the kid, and often it changes. In my experience, lots of young toddlers are fairly adventurous food wise, but go through a picky / bland / no foods touching phase around 4 - 7 ish.  Huge variations  in individual kids, of course.

My theory - that is completely out of my own head - is that it is basically an evolutionary thing. As young children venture out from directly under their parents eye they would need to distinguish safe and non-safe foods. So anything their parents eat, and foods / tastes / textures that feel “safe” and that they can identify. Some kids just stay there.

If you’re cooking for a family, it’s much easier to add spice and variety in for those kids and adults who like it- then to take it out for those who only like bland.

2 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

I think it really depends on the kid, and often it changes. In my experience, lots of young toddlers are fairly adventurous food wise, but go through a picky / bland / no foods touching phase around 4 - 7 ish.  Huge variations  in individual kids, of course.

My theory - that is completely out of my own head - is that it is basically an evolutionary thing. As young children venture out from directly under their parents eye they would need to distinguish safe and non-safe foods. So anything their parents eat, and foods / tastes / textures that feel “safe” and that they can identify. Some kids just stay there.

If you’re cooking for a family, it’s much easier to add spice and variety in for those kids and adults who like it- then to take it out for those who only like bland.

Sure, kids get picky, but Izzy is 3 right?  If he were exposed to things he would learn to like them (probably, but at least trying it wouldn't hurt).  It doesn't seem like he has suddenly become picky, more like they don't think little kids can like a variety of foods, and they can, we just don't give it to them to try often.

My younger nephew, 2 years and a bit, wants EVERYTHING salty. He won't eat the rice. He'll drink down the soy. Then throws a hiss fit or starts crying when we say please just no more soy we are taking the bottle away. We're constantly wondering if he has some deficiency, but... no. He just LOVES salty things. :pb_eek: It feels so weird to me, especially as I just cannot stand salt unless it's in potato crisps. Makes me want to vomit if there's almost any salt in anything.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:11 AM, onekidanddone said:

Canned string beans are one of the most disgusting foods in Rufus’s green earth. Just buy some fresh from the market rinse and snap off the ends. Oh and caned peas? Buy a bag of frozen open and stir in right before the stew is done. They cook quickly and won’t turn to total mush. Added bonus: I’ve heard frozen veggies retain their nutritional value longer than fresh and certainly better than cans  I see jill learned the high art heating from JShell 

On 8/7/2018 at 11:47 AM, libgirl2 said:

right away I could tell the veg were all canned. Yuck.

@MargaretElliott:  I think she could make something much more delicious with fresh ingredients and more seasoning.

Let me beat this dead horse one more time, and then I'm done.

I swear I'm not picking on anyone I quoted here, but these are just the food-shaming posts in THIS particular Dillard thread - not going back to the other one.

I'm sure I've seen Jill and Derick getting Izzy to try a variety of different foods in the past. Did I hallucinate that?

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm sure I've seen Jill and Derick getting Izzy to try a variety of different foods in the past. Did I hallucinate that?

No, you did not imagine that. In fact, Jill was kind of jumped on by her followers for feeding Sammy Indian food. I actually think Jill has a more adventurous palate than she is given credit for. Her birthday lunch was at a Thai restaurant. She ate a meal prepared by a Muslim woman and complimented thge woman on her cooking. My dear, sweet not even a little bit fundie mother-in-law does not have half so adventurous a palate. 

I think the criticism of Jill and her food is because she is attempting to present herself as having a lifestyle blog and she is really bad at it.  I would make fun of that pot roast no matter who posted it!  It’s dry, gray and awful because the recipe is awful. 

Pot roast is supposed to be braised, that means adding liquid, she is missing basic knowledge.

35 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

No, you did not imagine that. In fact, Jill was kind of jumped on by her followers for feeding Sammy Indian food. I actually think Jill has a more adventurous palate than she is given credit for. Her birthday lunch was at a Thai restaurant. She ate a meal prepared by a Muslim woman and complimented thge woman on her cooking. My dear, sweet not even a little bit fundie mother-in-law does not have half so adventurous a palate. 

Plus the Nepali dinner for Derick! So it's not that she's exclusively preparing bland Duggar family staples out of a compulsive fear of otherness.

Kids change their minds about what they will/will not eat so easily as well.   My nephew ate mushrooms on a consistent basis until he was around three or four and then told us he hated them and would pitch a fit any time they were in his food.  To this day he won't eat them.

@SamiKatz, that sounds like my youngest daughter and broccoli or "gwockoli" as her toddler self called it.  She still won't eat broccoli.  She's 27.

Jill’s food choices for her blog look dull and un-appetizing, slopped together with a minimum of effort.

I am not criticizing her specific food choices or being a food snob, but I am criticizing and questioning her judgement in thinking that what she presents is blog worthy.

I understand that while she was growing up she was probably  not exposed to plentiful and freshly prepared food.  However, for at least the last 10-12 years the family has been living in a media driven world.  She has traveled the world and eaten at many restaurants paid for by TLC so she should have some clue how food is presented.  Even fast food resturants have pictures of their products, so do family style places like Fridays or Applebees.

I think she is so jealous of Jessa, Jinger and Joy still being on the show and is desperately trying to make herself visible in the hope she will be invited back.

Yes toddlers can be quite changeable in their food preferences. My son is a pretty good eater. But he goes through phases of what he likes or doesn't that can make dinner maddening. For a while, he really loved broccoli. Now he refuses to eat it. Same with carrots, one day he just decided he didn't want them. Now he loves peas and green beans. He ate a big bowl of peas the other day and when he was done, he told me that they were yummy.

We do always put some of whatever we are eating on his plate because sometimes he does try it and like it but vegetables are a bit of a crapshoot and we certainly eat a lot more chicken strips than we used to. He is also a bit underweight at the moment so I try to make sure there are things that he will eat at meals so that he gains some more weight.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Jill’s food choices for her blog look dull and un-appetizing, slopped together with a minimum of effort.

I am not criticizing her specific food choices or being a food snob, but I am criticizing and questioning her judgement in thinking that what she presents is blog worthy.

I understand that while she was growing up she was probably  not exposed to plentiful and freshly prepared food.  However, for at least the last 10-12 years the family has been living in a media driven world.  She has traveled the world and eaten at many restaurants paid for by TLC so she should have some clue how food is presented.  Even fast food resturants have pictures of their products, so do family style places like Fridays or Applebees.

I think she is so jealous of Jessa, Jinger and Joy still being on the show and is desperately trying to make herself visible in tge hope she will be invited back.

I don't think Jill being off of the show was her choice, I think she has you-know-who to thank for that.

3 hours ago, patsymae said:

All the food shaming is really pissing me off--there are plenty of reasons to use packaged food. And Im not going to start soaking a handful of dried beans so that I can season and cook them and then cook them again in order to have a couple of tablespoons of refried beans for a taco. 

I have never yet soaked a bean and I do use cream of chicken soup in a few recipes. 

2 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I think it really depends on the kid,

Absolutely - everyone is an individual.  Of my own siblings, I still remember our different preferences.  One hated mayonnaise, another hated mustard.  One hated onions, and I hated the smell and taste of lamb.  My son had a thing about textures, in both clothing and in food.  Loves Granny Smith apples, but to this day, doesn't like them in apple pie.  Doesn't really like any kind of pie.  Loved baked potatoes, but not mashed, and so on.  However, he also loved Altoids.  I remember being horrified when he ate one in two bites as a toddler and asked for more.  Loved the Altoids, but hated spicy sauces.  

I always would offer him a variety of foods, but eventually I just went with what I knew he would eat.  Now as a young adult, he's widely expanded his food horizons, so all's well that ends well.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived