IGNORED

Ideas for Christmas gifts

purplepeony

Hi everyone,

I have received a request for 'historical murder mystery books' as a Christmas gift from my brother. He has only read a few before and it isn't a genre i have read much of either so i wondered if people had any recommendations? There seems to be lots online so wasn't really sure where to start!

Thanks in advance for any help

I know there are others but two of my favorites are the Brother Cadfael series written by the linguist-scholar Edith Pargeter under the name "Ellis Peters" and the Sister Fidelma series by Peter Tremayne.

@purplepeony is there a particular author or era that he's read?  I ask because to me historical is a vast area to recommend for.  While trying to narrow down to say a particular time period might make it easier.  

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

@purplepeony is there a particular author or era that he's read?  I ask because to me historical is a vast area to recommend for.  While trying to narrow down to say a particular time period might make it easier.  

He has actually read the brother cadfael ones that @Bethella mentioned above and enjoyed them so asked for more historical murder mystery but didn’t specify period which made it hard! I have asked for more detail but will have a look into the sister fidelma ones 

Try CJ Sansom.  Dissolution is the first novel in the Matthew Shardlake series.  Set during the reign of Henry VIII they are mysteryies.  Shardlake is a lawyer and hunchbac.  First novel is set in a monastery.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize this is too late for a Christmas suggestion for @purplepeony's brother, but one of the historic mystery authors I enjoy is Lindsey Davis. She started off with Marcus Didius Falco in The Silver Pigs, set in ancient Rome. Her newest books are still in Rome, but Falco has retired and a family member of his is now the main character. I've also read a few of Steven Saylor's books set in republican Rome. They were pretty good, but I hadn't gotten into them as much as Lindsey Davis' books. I should give them another try, maybe.

Archived