IGNORED

Bill Gothard, Pt. 2: More & More Damning

FundieFarmer

TW for molestation, abuse, incest...and everything else horrible that Bill Gothard stands for. 

Continuing on from here: 

• Upvote 2

@fundiefarmer, glad my comment made a appropriate thread title.   That one rolled right off my brain and into the reply box.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

@fundiefarmer, glad my comment made a appropriate thread title.   That one rolled right off my brain and into the reply box.

I thought it was appropriate. Everything he does creates another level of hell for him to fall into.

• Upvote 5

I'm astonished he can even show his face in public.  But he's continuing with his new "ministry. " Disgusting.

But the board is still covering up for him and the lawsuit against BG and IBLP is back on.

Gil Bates should definitely be nervous.

• Upvote 8

IME people like Gil, Gothard and the rest of them don't get nervous like normal people because they have gotten away for so long with doing such terrible things. I think after awhile they start to believe they are invincible. 

• Upvote 10

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

IME people like Gil, Gothard and the rest of them don't get nervous like normal people because they have gotten away for so long with doing such terrible things. I think after awhile they start to believe they are invincible. 

Let's hope those days of believing they are invincible are coming to an end.  Should be a mighty big shock and totally deserved.

• Upvote 13

Every single member here who dares to say they don't think the Bates are that bad or that they are neutral towards the Duggars should be made to read this thread and see the damage caused by this fucked up organisation. How they can think there is anything good about these families is beyond me. I will hope and send every good vibe I can that this lawsuit is successful and ATI/IBLP is brought crashing down and burns to the ground taking Gil Bates and all his cronies with him.

• Upvote 25

58 minutes ago, caszandra said:

Every single member here who dares to say they don't think the Bates are that bad or that they are neutral towards the Duggars should be made to read this thread and see the damage caused by this fucked up organisation. How they can think there is anything good about these families is beyond me. 

This!

Ffs these families both have daughters! Precious little blessings from God they screech whilst allowing this disgusting little man near them and other, innocent girls and young women.

Every member of that board needs to be charged as an accessory. 

• Upvote 16

For some reason I keep reading Gil Bates as Bil Gates... 

Anyway, I'm so glad the victims were able to move past their choice of lawyers and get this thing back on track. Hopefully they've got someone that can defend them vigorously now.

• Upvote 4

Just a couple of persnickety corrections.

12 hours ago, Gemini said:

Every member of that board needs to be charged as an accessory.

Every single member of the board was named as defendants in the lawsuit but this is a civil not criminal case.  Statute of limitations and all that - these incidents go back for years.  It is possible that the alleged incidents in 2012 and 2014 could be criminally prosecuted, however.

8 hours ago, daisyd681 said:

Hopefully they've got someone that can defend them vigorously now.

The victims are the Plaintiffs.  I hope they have found a law firm that can prosecute the case vigorously.  It is Gothard, IBLP, and the board (Control Group in the amended suit) that need a defense.  

13 hours ago, caszandra said:

Every single member here who dares to say they don't think the Bates are that bad or that they are neutral towards the Duggars should be made to read this thread and see the damage caused by this fucked up organisation. How they can think there is anything good about these families is beyond me.

It is beyond me too, but some of those defenders claim to know about the lawsuit and still don't think the Bateses and Duggars are that bad. :confusion-shrug:

• Upvote 9

Since it's a civil case, I didn't figure prosecutor was the right term. Even if it is, prosecutors (generally) are the defenders of victims. Phrasing aside, I do hope that their lawyer makes the case and gets everything that means anything to these people for his clients. Of course, we all know what's really important to them in the end, money.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm astonished he can even show his face in public.  But he's continuing with his new "ministry. " Disgusting.

But the board is still covering up for him and the lawsuit against BG and IBLP is back on.

Gil Bates should definitely be nervous.

What's the saying? "Pride goeth before a fall."

One word fits: karma.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Just a couple of persnickety corrections.

Every single member of the board was named as defendants in the lawsuit but this is a civil not criminal case.  Statute of limitations and all that - these incidents go back for years.  It is possible that the alleged incidents in 2012 and 2014 could be criminally prosecuted, however.

Thanks for that info :)

I've just done a quick search on us statue of limitations and it appears to me (a Brit) a complete minefield of information. (We usually have one, or very similar, laws across the uk)

I'm I right in thinking that things change from state to state, that a statue of limitation in sexual abuse can be unlimited in one state and just a few years in another? 

And if so, is that true for all sexual abuse or does it depend on the crimes involved?

sorry for the bombardment of questions! 

Edited by Gemini
Clarity, not sure if it helped tho
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I'm I right in thinking that things change from state to state, that a statue of limitation in sexual abuse can be unlimited in one state and just a few years in another? 

And if so, is that true for all sexual abuse or does it depend on the crimes involved?

sorry for the bombardment of questions! 

Disclaimer:  I am certainly not a lawyer but some of our real FJ lawyers have weighed in on this in previous threads and may be able to clarify again here.

Short answer though -  yes.  Things do vary from state to state and Illinois is the relevant state here.  The allegations in this lawsuit go back years and range from harassment through molestation to rape - by others and not just Gothard.  It was systemic and institutionalized sexual abuse.

The 2012 rape allegation was reported to police at the time (IIRC) and possibly could be prosecuted criminally.  I'm pretty sure the 2014 allegation is new and should be within the SOL.

• Upvote 6

@Palimpsest  Thanks so much for the response. It's what I thought but wanted to make sure as things are so different here.

in the Uk we do have statute of limitations but in a number of crimes, including severe sex crimes, there is no limitation. 

My heart bleeds for these women, who were so brave to stand up against these hideous people, to not have the full weight of the law behind them because they didn't report it soon enough. 

In a culture that blames the woman for any sexual crime, it's hardly surprising that these girls didn't report it sooner. That's even if they were allowed to report it, depends on the headship I guess.

so sickening :( 

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Perhaps its been mentioned elsewhere--Robert Staddon is moving to Big Sandy, per wife Kendalyn's Instagram.  How much longer can Brandon Keilen hold down the fort at Gothard HQ? I wonder how many folks are left there:

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just learning about this organization so please bear with me. I read about Bill Gothard. I am mystified that so many people have followed marital and family advice from a man who has never been married and has no children. He must be charismatic to attract such a following. I am also astonished that parents who insist their daughters be chaperoned at all times will send these same daughters to work for Gothard. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, CatchThatCow said:

I'm just learning about this organization so please bear with me. I read about Bill Gothard. I am mystified that so many people have followed marital and family advice from a man who has never been married and has no children. He must be charismatic to attract such a following. I am also astonished that parents who insist their daughters be chaperoned at all times will send these same daughters to work for Gothard. 

That's precisely the appeal. Personally,  I found that hate doesn't come in the form of. . .  what we think of as hate. IBLP in particular takes an approach far different from the Westboro church  for example.  The idea is to charm you into the way of thinking.  Just listen to the basic seminar.  

When I first went in, I was fully prepared against all the legalistic hogwash.  But the long hours,  the entertainment,  the charm,  the smiles. . .  The wit. . .  The humor. . .  They start to take root.  

Think of the Duggars - keep sweet,  be smiling,  be radiant,  be joyful. . .  That's what it's all about and that's what gets a lot of people.  Michelle Duggars probably speaks in her sweet gentle voice for the reason: I feel it embodies what the movement seeks to present,  that their  way of life is so wonderful and that they are way happier than others. 

But it's all a lie.  Its based on empty promises and unrealistic expectations.  No one can live up to that,  the pressure to be "perfect"  can destroy souls.  Life fails to be as predictable and clear cut.  Following a system doesn't guarantee a result.  That's what I learned anyway.  

Edited by Bretta
  • Upvote 15

• 1 month later...

Saw a comment about the lawsuit on Recovering Grace, but Alfred has written the most about how things are going recently. Good news is that Alfred isn't happy,. All charges of "criminal sexual assault" were dropped from the lawsuit. March 2 is the status hearing and then depositions will come after that. 

http://www.discoveringgrace.com/2017/01/10/the-suit-is-made-longer/

The Duggars should be glad that they weren't involved in this particular scandal. The Bates should be worried, though. 

• Upvote 6

• 1 year later...

I haven't seen this posted.  Please merge if it has.

Well, it seems as though the plaintiffs had to drop the lawsuit against Bill Gothard and IBLP.  Julie Anne at SSB has the Plaintiffs dignified statement here: https://spiritualsoundingboard.com/2018/02/26/breaking-lawsuit-against-bill-gothard-and-the-institute-in-basic-life-principles-dismissed/  She also has some interesting follow-up with Jane Doe III and Gothard.  Julie Anne is being very judicious - and has to be in her situation. 

I don't have to be judicious.  I am furious!

Big point here.  The case was not not "dismissed."  It was dropped voluntarily.  Note:  the Plaintiffs are not retracting any of their claims and neither is Recovering Grace.  They just reached a brick wall and the iniquitously short SOL.  And Gibbs III's malfeasance.

They were totally fucked over by David Gibbs III, Esq.  May his name live on in infamy and may no victim ever retain him as an attorney again.  He is dirt.  Incompetent dirt.  Or perhaps malicious dirt pretending to represent victims as he tanks their cases in favor of the defendants.  I don't know.  IMO he screwed over Lourdes Torres too in her case against Doug (the Tool) Phillips.

If Gibbs III had not screwed up so royally that he got himself disqualified from this case for cause the plaintiffs might have had a fighting chance.

There are a lot of threads in the archives on this case and David Gibbs III (or 3) and the IBLP-Gothard lawsuit.   This may be the most recent.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 12
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

This is sad news and infuriating at the same time.  I wonder how much Gibbs III sucked out of everyone's pockets?  I wish someone would sue HIM for incompetence. 

This is the statement from Gothard's victims: 

Due to the unique complexities of this case, including the statutes
of limitation, we have made the difficult decision to voluntarily
dismiss our lawsuit against Bill Gothard and The Institute in Basic
Life Principles. We want to make it abundantly clear that by
dismissing our lawsuit at this time, we are not recanting our
experiences or dismissing the incalculable damage that we believe
Gothard has done by his actions and certain teachings.
Nor are we
disregarding that his organization chose to protect themselves
instead of those under their care.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 1

Damn. The despicable circle of injustice continues. I also am furious, and frustrated. This is really disappointing. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

If you haven't yet done so, I recommend reading Julie Anne's followup posts with Emily Jaeger's (Jane Doe III) official statement and Gothard's appalling (but very predictable) response to her.

A couple of excerpts from Emily's official statement https://spiritualsoundingboard.com/2018/02/26/breaking-statement-from-jane-doe-emily-jaeger-on-lawsuit-against-bill-gothard-and-institute-in-basic-life-principles/:

In a way, I believe we did ultimately fulfill some of those goals with the lawsuit. We did the right thing morally, ethically, and legally. We came out with our stories and warned others. Bill may think he walked away free, but the truth is, the world now knows who he really is. As far as power against Bill, this ultimately does not come by testifying on a witness stand. It comes from living a free life covered by grace!

I believe they did succeed in some of those goals too.  The bravery of those that came forward with their stories is extraordinary.  It is a real pity they never got their day in court but the world does know who Gothard really is - and that is its own success.  We should be grateful to all the survivors who came forward and fought so hard.

While the lawsuit didn’t become my identity, it did become a part of me, and I don’t quite know how to function or live life “normally” now. It is said that an animal who has been tethered by a 10-foot chain for years still won’t move beyond that 10-foot radius after they are freed. That is me. The cage door is open, the shackles are off, and I don’t know how to live in freedom. Yet.

Right now, instead of living free, I’m severely bruised. In the weeks since dismissing the lawsuit, I’ve been to hell and back. I lived in a combat zone for years, and suddenly the war is over. The adrenaline I’ve lived off for so long has finally run out, and my body has been flooded with a rush of mixed hormones and extreme emotions. I’ve fought through multiple panic attacks and sleepless nights, and my counselor has officially diagnosed me with PTSD. But this isn’t the end of my story. Bill hasn’t won. My story has just begun.

Sadly a Dx of PTSD is all too common in situations like these, but I strongly believe Emily will survive and her story truly has only just begun.

Every January I pick a new word for the year. For 2018 my word was “Courage”. I picked this because I believed 2018 was the year I would need immense courage to fight in this lawsuit. However, I’m now realizing I will need courage not to fight, but to learn how to LIVE beyond the fight.

And so, let the living begin!

Courage indeed.  Power to you Emily.  And to all the other survivors of Bill Gothard and IBLP.

It seems that the repulsive Albert of Discovering Grace lobbied Julie Anne to publish Gothard's response to Emily.  After due consideration, she did, and I agree with her reasoning.  

Gothard predictably tries to perpetuate the abuse and to gaslight Emily.  This is not only the hallmark of a spiritual abuser but of a sexual abuser and predator too.  It is quite sickening and every word he writes makes him look worse.

Emily fights back beautifully.   It makes very satisfying reading and I think her response should be read in its entirety - it is too good for me to pull out excerpts!  

https://spiritualsoundingboard.com/2018/03/01/survivor-emily-jaeger-responds-to-bill-gothards-reactions-to-her-revealing-she-is-jane-doe-iii/

I know who is winning this battle.  Hint: it is not that corrupt cult leader and vile sexual predator Bill Gothard.

Go Emily!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 10