IGNORED

Jessica Valenti quits social media because of rape and death threats against her 5 year old daughter

Gossamer1

Jessica Valenti, author of The Purity Myth: How America's Obsession with Virginity is Hurting Young Women and Sex Object is leaving social media for an unknown period of time after rape and death threats were made against her 5 year old daughter.

In all likelihood,  the threats were made by some Internet troll who has no intention of following through with the threat but still, who makes threats like that? Sick!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/jessica_valenti_quits_social_media_threat_daughter.html#incart_most-commented_bergen_article

There is something very wrong with people who threaten others with death and rape, never mind threatening a child!

I like Jessica. She used to do business with my company and she had my AIM name and we chatted several times. She'd come direct to me for help. She's a great person and that this happened to her is utter horseshit.

Hello, once again, to the misogyny inherent in patriarchy. To the violence inherent in misogyny. To the entitlement of the oppressor.

I know Daisy Ridley also dropped her Instagram account because of harassment she was receiving from trolls;

thenerdybird.com/daisy-ridley-harassed-off-instagram-political-opinion/

The Dark Side of the internet has struck again. Star Wars actor (and perpetual blessing) Daisy Ridley has deleted her Instagram account. This is truly the darkest timeline.

This is becoming a really bad trend. It was just a few weeks ago Ghostbusters star Leslie Jones felt the need to leave Twitter after she was verbally abused by horrible racists, now it seems other generally horrible people are to blame for Ridley shutting down her Instagram.

Ridley is still new to the industry but has used her Instagram account to great effect by sharing fun moments with fans, giving messages of hope, and kindness. But she has already been on the receiving end of bad behavior from bad people (as most of us have) on the internet before. Apparently this time she’s decided she’s had enough.

I was alerted to this latest celebrity chase-off by Tess Fowler on Twitter and FrozingMusings on Tumblr caught a bit of what actually happened with screenshots from Ridley’s official Facebook page, which still exists. She often cross-posted things to her Instagram so I can only assume she took heat there as well. Unfortunately since it’s now deleted I can’t know for sure. But Ridley wrote a message of peace on Facebook yesterday [Edit: Looks like this FB post is now gone also.]:

And Ana Kasparian of The Young Turks had this tweet

Ana called this sack of shit out for his behavior but he'll probably still be a total dickweed on line to people. 

Archived