IGNORED

Breaking Amish

theinvisiblegirl

Does anyone watch this train wreck of a reality show? I've watched since the first season, and I just don't know if I want to watch the new one. I was very shocked when I found out just how fake the first season was, so TLC naturally dragged them back for more and more. So who's your favorite from the cast? Least favorite? What do you guys hate most about this show/these people?

My favorite is Kate, or Mama Mary. Least favorite is tied with Sabrina and Jeremiah, though I also don't care much for Abe or Rebecca. As for what I hate most... I can't really put my finger on it. I just think they're in the same group as the cast of Party Down South that shouldn't be featured on television.

Gah!  I saw they were coming back.  Embarrassed to say I watched from the beginning too, even when I realized how fake it all was by taking a look at their facebook pages.  :2wankers:
But for true fakery and corniness I have to go with Amish Mafia.  Now there's some fine television programming!
I'd have to side with you on Mama Mary & Kate.  They seem the most genuine and I'm happy for Kate's success.  Jeremiah seems like a tool, in real life, and on the show.
Don't know if I'm gonna watch yet; which is the same thing I always say about the Duggars, but end up watching anyway.  :pb_rollseyes: 

10 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Gah!  I saw they were coming back.  Embarrassed to say I watched from the beginning too, even when I realized how fake it all was by taking a look at their facebook pages.  :2wankers:
But for true fakery and corniness I have to go with Amish Mafia.  Now there's some fine television programming!
I'd have to side with you on Mama Mary & Kate.  They seem the most genuine and I'm happy for Kate's success.  Jeremiah seems like a tool, in real life, and on the show.
Don't know if I'm gonna watch yet; which is the same thing I always say about the Duggars, but end up watching anyway.  :pb_rollseyes: 

I recently stopped watching Little People, Big World mid-season because I didn't like their bullshit, and I'd like to think I'd stop watching Breaking Amish if I just got tired of it... But I'm always so into the drama. I know it's all bullshit and it's kind of trashy, but I just can't stop watching.

7 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I recently stopped watching Little People, Big World mid-season because I didn't like their bullshit

I stopped watching LPBW before any of the kids got married (bored & found out their beliefs were a little crazy).
I just flew by some of the BA folks fb pages and see Andrew's out of jail, and it appears Chapel went to rehab and went silent after that (back in January).    

2 minutes ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

I stopped watching LPBW before any of the kids got married (bored & found out their beliefs were a little crazy).
I just flew by some of the BA folks fb pages and see Andrew's out of jail, and it appears Chapel went to rehab and went silent after that (back in January).    

I'm glad Andrew's out of jail. I always had a soft spot for him for some reason.

As for Chapel, I thought her silence might be because of something health related. She had cancer, didn't she? Turns out, she was arrested in January on drug charges when she and a friend sold an undercover cop heroin. Her probation officer claimed that she gave someone else's clean urine for a drug test. Then she was arrested again in March during a big drug bust. The article (from May) said that her bail was set for $10,000 but she was unable to post it so she remains in custody.

Oh my!  Granted, I don't think I've been to their FB pages in a year or more ('til tonight).  But last I looked it seemed some fans of the show were trying to get Chapel into rehab (after another arrest in 2015 with her sister I believe).  She was moaning about going but saying it was for the best and that's the last I read.  I guess a lot has happened since then.
There were a lot of questions regarding her cancer treatment I remember.  She was refusing chemo and had a GFM for some unconventional treatment.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I caved and watched the final episode of this season. Such a trashy wreck.  I don't really like any of them, although I'd say maybe Abe and Rebecca are the least annoying. What made the show interesting in the first season was the differences between Amish life and "English" life, not the made up drama between hormonal twenty somethings.

The one thing I did have to follow up on was the cult Jeremiah's new wife grew up in, the Branhamites. It's a small and obscure group, but found a fascinating first person blog about it- https://jnich2.wordpress.com/tag/branhamites/

15 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

Ok, I caved and watched the final episode of this season. Such a trashy wreck.  I don't really like any of them, although I'd say maybe Abe and Rebecca are the least annoying. What made the show interesting in the first season was the differences between Amish life and "English" life, not the made up drama between hormonal twenty somethings.

The one thing I did have to follow up on was the cult Jeremiah's new wife grew up in, the Branhamites. It's a small and obscure group, but found a fascinating first person blog about it- https://jnich2.wordpress.com/tag/branhamites/

I haven't watched for a while, but was bored and felt a need to shout at my TV, so I watched most of the BA finale. Trainwreck doesn't even begin to describe it. I wanted to fly out west and beg Jeremiah's fiancee to run away as fast as she could. I have despised Jeremiah since the first episode. I read something funny about him on the IMDB boards: "Q: How do you know if Jeremiah was at your house? A: Your valuables have been stolen, the toilet isn't flushed, and the dog is pregnant".  I laughed for a good half hour over that.

I can't believe that:

Spoiler

Sabrina is pregnant AGAIN. I wonder if it's Jeremiah's baby.

Really the only one I like is Kate. Mary was okay, but she has just been so wishy-washy, wanting to be both Amish and English. Kate should change her phone number and move to a different apartment, so these folks can't find her again.

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I wanted to fly out west and beg Jeremiah's fiancee to run away as fast as she can.

Reveal hidden contents

Sabrina is pregnant AGAIN. I wonder if it's Jeremiah's baby.

Really the only one I like is Kate. Mary was okay, but she has just been so wishy-washy, wanting to be both Amish and English. Kate should change her phone number and move to a different apartment, so these folks can't find her again.

Ditto about Jeremiah. He is a rage-a-holic and shit starter. Not good husband material at all. Kate should have cursed him out at Mary's Christmas dinner. And the ever-whining Sabrina? Glad she got her baby back, but pregnant again? Damn, and I bet Jeremiah is the daddy. I really like Mary but she is about as Amish as I am. She is a social Amish and if her husband would leave she would be gone in a minute. I like Abe, he is a stable family man, Rebecca is OK, I hope their family prospers.

18 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

Thanks for this link, I follow all things cult.

I read somewhere that Sabrina is pregnant by Harry, her first baby daddy and abusive ex. Lovely.  But kudos to her for successfully working hard to get her child back.

Mary wants to have her gigantic cake and eat it too. Be amish but not have to actually follow anything they require her to do. 

What would have been interesting to hear about would be her relationship with her Amish children and grandchildren, and her own family (could be done even without showing those individuals).

This show gets the same opinion from me as the D fam train wreck.  TLC made it seem like these Amish had never been off the farm before... yet with a little Googling, found out this show was a complete stage job.  Not only had they been off the farm, some had been arrested, married and/or divorced.  

But they were all wide-eyed and in awe.

Now the show is a mess, no better than Big Brother or any soap opera.

(Bring back Desperate Housewives or Dallas!  HELLO!)

I think the folks who produce these shows must not realize most of us have internet searching capabilities, and WILL find out the back stories.  It just makes the network look less than forthright.  But, they are playing to a pretty gullible, non internet-savvy folks, I am guessing.

Another reason I spend my time on TCM --  if the TV is even on.

Thank you @Chicken bonesfor the link!  I thought she said "Browninites" and couldn't find anything  on it.

I'd suggest scouring all of their fb pages.  What a mess!  I did a fly by after the finale and Mary was bitching that the epilogue was wrong.  Andrew IS NOT out of rehab, IS NOT living with her and Chester, and IS in touch with Chapel.

On the Jeremiah front...Oh Boy!  Seems a friend of his wrote a script called "Plain People".  It's gonna be a slasher movie ala "Children of the Corn", starring, you guessed it, Jeremiah Raber!  They began filming and two months into the movie (one month after Jeremiah got married), he was fired from the movie for stalking and sending penis-pics to his co-star.  This was in June. 
The co-writer/director (not Jeremiah's friend) later left production, and Jeremiah was hired back by his friend of course.
Lots of drama on twitter and FB and it's all documented in various Starcasm articles.

The thing is, Jeremiah's new wife Carmela acknowledges his cheating but is blaming the girl.  "Does your husband know that my husband was sending nude pics?" "We're having a rough start to our marriage, but we're gonna be together FOREVER!" etc.
It's insane!  Carmela also seems to be a conspiracy theorist who has a lot of vivid dreams she shares.  End-times, Muslims are gonna kill us all in our sleep, and so on.

And she's a grandmother at 34!

My heart sank when they announced Sabrina's pregnancy. :( 

Sorry for the stream of consciousness rambling...it's late, and I had forgotten about this thread. ;)  

ps.  The whole season was obviously contrived (big surprise there!)  The whole damn crew leaves Punxy (including Abe & Rebecca's children behind), to move to Lancaster to find Mary a house and church that they never stay in because they all go to NYC!  Then Rebecca gets a job while ON VACATION in NYC.  
I don't have enough eyerolls.  

When I watch so-called reality shows, I know that most of the scenarios are contrived. Abe knew Rebecca before the program began, etc. One of my favorites, House Hunters, is a total fake. The "hunters" have already purchased a home and often at least one of the homes being looked at isn't even on the market (usually the one that is full of stuff). I was disappointed at first but now it's all part of the fun.

Sabrina is not ready for two children, she could barely handle one! Birth control would be her friend if she would use it.

I don't have Facebook, and you are killing me talking about their mess on there. Please screen shot a few of the best, or worst, posts, I would greatly appreciate it!

Yeah, that get a job on vacation thing made me roll my eyes so hard they almost fell out. All of them in Kate's little apartment too. You know they had to have accommodations elsewhere.

Jeremiah is a clusterfuck and all I can say is poor Carmela. I read the brahminites link and oh boy. She is primed to take abuse. I hope she gets out sooner than later and before any new children are produced.

19 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

I read somewhere that Sabrina is pregnant by Harry, her first baby daddy and abusive ex. Lovely.  But kudos to her for successfully working hard to get her child back.

Mary wants to have her gigantic cake and eat it too. Be amish but not have to actually follow anything they require her to do. 

What would have been interesting to hear about would be her relationship with her Amish children and grandchildren, and her own family (could be done even without showing those individuals).

Exactly how many kids does Mary have? We know Abe, Andrew, Katie Ann, Esther, I know there's more but exactly how many more lol

Mary said she ran away at 17, got pregnant, and came back then married Chester. Don't remember if she gave the baby up for adoption or what.

I think she did give that child up for adoption and he (?) Is Amish. I think there may be a few more from the marriage with Chester though. I could have it all wrong.

But jeez Mary, if you are so gung ho to have your kids stay Amish, don't keep making TV shows they can tag along onto and maybe lead by example.

17 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I don't have Facebook, and you are killing me talking about their mess on there. Please screen shot a few of the best, or worst, posts, I would greatly appreciate it!

Actually, the majority of FB screengrabs having to do with drama were in these articles (with the exception of Mary correcting the show's epilogue a few days ago).

They're in order from newest to oldest, so you'd have to go back to June for the Jeremiah movie drama.  The 7/31 article about Sabrina is just sad.

http://starcasm.net/archives/category/tv/breaking-amish

• 6 months later...
On 9/2/2016 at 4:38 PM, OyToTheVey said:

Exactly how many kids does Mary have? We know Abe, Andrew, Katie Ann, Esther, I know there's more but exactly how many more lol

She has 7 children all together.I believe some have shunned her.

• 2 months later...

I've been home recovering from a medical issue and decided to catch the latest episode of this crazy show. I think the heavy duty painkillers made me do it. I started shouting at the TV, telling Jeremiah's wife to run away NOW. Of course, she didn't, as he has subsequently been arrested for domestic violence (according to Starcasm). I love how Jeremiah and Carmela wanted to go see Rebecca and Abe, but she insisted they meet at a diner. In a TH, she said she didn't want Jeremiah (or, "Jayber", his alias -- eyeroll) in her house. He pressed her about it and she made up some lame story and he threw a tantrum in the diner. Sabrina has given up fighting child services for custody of her two daughters. She's a hot mess. Kate was smart to distance herself from the whole crowd.

Then, on the preview for next week, Mary is going to Vegas with Jeremiah and Carmela, because they didn't get to have a honeymoon when they got married. Um, okay. They showed Mary getting her picture taken with a couple of Chippendales. Wow. Methinks Chester wouldn't be thrilled about that.

Every time I catch an episode of this show, it makes me crazy. I need to stop watching it.

I just watched the finale and then googled about what has happened since. Camila and Jeremiah are currently in therapy because there has been reports that Jeremiah was physically abusive (would not surprise me). Sabrina has also relapsed again and got arrested.

Archived