IGNORED

Jill admitting she had to take food and hide in the bathroom

Nishi621

Just wanted to discuss this a bit.

Does anyone else see that as a backlash against her parents? I mean, that's a pretty big thing to admit and it most certainly does not make her parents look good. I can't imagine they were happy about that statement being made on TV and for Jill to bring it up, she must still hold resentment for it.

Maybe she is starting to see how messed up things were?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure they'll spin it as a humorous thing. But look at Josh--it says all you need to say on how the older kids were fed for years. Ditto Zach Bates...........

Nah... Jill is and always has been the goody-goody of the family (at least IMO). I don't think she meant it as a slam. She's probably so used to being "just another kid" that she doesn't realize how fucked up it really is.

When was this admitted? And how was she able to hide in the bathroom when, for a long time, at least in the early specials, there was always a line for the bathroom?

When was this admitted? And how was she able to hide in the bathroom when, for a long time, at least in the early specials, there was always a line for the bathroom?

It was in an episode of her and Derick in their new house.

Also, I think she did realize how messed up it was because she had kind of a pouty face on when she said it

Not sure the exact episode (J&D wedding?), but it was when Jill and Derick were comparing growing up with 1 versus 18 siblings.

IDK about Jill. She often times says stuff that makes her appear not too bright...like she doesn't think things all the ways through before she speaks. I think her way of getting attention was by talking, so she just blurts out whatever comes to mind. It's also why she talks over and corrects people.

IDK about Jill. She often times says stuff that makes her appear not too bright...like she doesn't think things all the ways through before she speaks. I think her way of getting attention was by talking, so she just blurts out whatever comes to mind. It's also why she talks over and corrects people.

So, everyone wants the "tell all situation," but Jill telling a bit about of her situation growing up makes her "not too bright" because she "doesn't think things through"?

On tonight's episode of "The Duggar Girls Can't Win"....

I don't think she has enough awareness to know that that particular anecdote is pretty damning of her parents and just their whole lifestyle in general. She likely said it more as a sort of funny, "Ha ha, I hated this as a kid but it's a cute story now, isn't it?"

Personally, I never took this as a serious commentary by Jill on her upbringing. I think it was just a joke as in, we had so many kids if we wanted food we had to sneak it in the bathroom, haha. (Like many kids may take a candy bar or something and sneak off so as not to have to share with siblings.). I could be wrong of course, but I never took this to mean that they actually had to do any such thing.

Not sure the exact episode (J&D wedding?), but it was when Jill and Derick were comparing growing up with 1 versus 18 siblings.

I just sat through this whole episode looking for that anecdote and it wasn't there. :cry:

So, everyone wants the "tell all situation," but Jill telling a bit about of her situation growing up makes her "not too bright" because she "doesn't think things through"?

On tonight's episode of "The Duggar Girls Can't Win"....

It's not just this comment but many comments that make it appear that she does not think things through, which is really a basic concept for most adults...another is when she mentioned in the wedding episode if Cathy would make it all...funny how that line was scrubbed.

I just sat through this whole episode looking for thaanecdote and it wasn't there. :cry:

Wasn't Derick the one who brought it up and Jill confirmed it? I doubt that Jill would have mentioned it on her own. Not surprised that it's gone.

It was on episode where they had the young girls over for a slumber party with Jill. Derrick and Jill were comparing the differences between growing up in small vs large families.

Wasn't Derick the one who brought it up and Jill confirmed it? I doubt that Jill would have mentioned it on her own. Not surprised that it's gone.

I think Derick said it and then Jill did an awkward smile and pouty face. I watched it not too long ago and TLC will frequently change episodes when they are repeated.

Yummmmy. I love all 3 ingredients: lemons, blueberries, and moonshine.

I wonder how often the kids say things not knowing how strange it must sound to outsiders because they are all used to it? Like being summed to family meetings via intercom-- that's pretty weird. Or having a soda fountain in your kitchen. Or grandma living in your house so she can do the laundry. The list goes on and on.

Now they can talk about the 200 flamingos in the storage barn.

I don't think Jill realises it makes her family sound awful. I don't think she has the life experience to recognise that she has been neglected as a child. Before Derick came along, she hadn't been close enough to any non fundies to know that it is not normal. All her fundie friends probably had to deal with stuff like not enough food, and I imagine they all joked about it just like people joke and laugh about their horrifying spanking stories. Oh poor Derick, he will be horrified when Jill comes out with a hilarious story about what Michelle used to do to her with one of those bendy rulers, which are apparently her weapon of choice.

I don't think Jill realises it makes her family sound awful. I don't think she has the life experience to recognise that she has been neglected as a child.

Exactly what I thought. I've had some friends who grew up in fundie families tell me similar stories of neglect (and frankly, some borderline abuse), passing it off as "my family was so kooky!"

And then they were surprised when I was horrified they'd never been taken to a doctor for the first 20-something years of life... :(

The thread where we noticed it is here:

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25044&p=876550&hilit=jill+food+in+the+bathroom#p876550

It was in the season premiere for this most recent shipwreck.

Thanks for pointing it out. Derick mentioned it and they both chuckled.

I want to see for myself some of the things that make into FJ lore and judge for myself how relevant/meaningful they are, and all I can say is that there is very little reality on the show, as far as I can tell. I've watched more of the show in the last few days than I have in the last two years, and every minute of footage seems artificial to me. They're all using TV voices and affectations, imo. JB is one of the worst offenders; he looks and acts like he's reading cue cards all. the. time.

I dunno. I remember when that aired and raising an eyebrow. It's hard to tell with Jill sometimes. Either it's completely innocuous (eating a coveted piece of chocolate while hiding so she didn't have to share) or it's a sign of major neglect (Hunger Games - Duggar style).

Probably sounded way better in her head than it actually came out. Probably also leaves out some key detail since the Duggars like to do that with their stories.

Archived