IGNORED

Jill admitting she had to take food and hide in the bathroom

Nishi621

I am a mom with 3 young kids and many times I have taken food and hid in the bathroom. Especially ice cream. Because I don't want my kids asking for any!!! And I want to just have my treat in peace.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's one thing when a parent does it. It's something else entirely when a child does. Mine have done it when they weren't supposed to have whatever it was, either because dinner was cooking, or it was being saved for something else. "Having" to sneak food is just kinda sad though.

I am a mom with 3 young kids and many times I have taken food and hid in the bathroom. Especially ice cream. Because I don't want my kids asking for any!!! And I want to just have my treat in peace.

I just keep my candy in the kitchen, on top of the cupboards, and eat it while I am cooking. I discourage them from being in the kitchen under my feet while I make dinner, so it gives me the perfect place to eat from my secret stash. :D

My mom used to store the individual chip bags in her closet. She wouldn't eat them, but she did not want my oldest brother eating ALL of them.

My parents would make big dinners- lots of starch, veggies and salad (belly fillers) and appropriate portions of protein.

My brother could eat as much starch, veggies and salad as he wanted, but he did not get unlimited servings of protein d/t costs. They also made sure that everyone had a little bit of everything on their plate, before he could have seconds.

He could eat a whole chicken, LOL. Out of all the kids, my oldest brother is the one who is naturally thin. WTH!

It is sad if she had to sneak food because she was hungry. But I really don't think this was the case, or at least I hope not.

But back to the whole issue of not being comfortable around your spouse. That has to suck. I am sorry but I find it hard to buy into the "happy newlyweds" thing. There is so much pressure on them to be the perfect couple and to be insta-grownups that it is impossible to actually feel that way.

First, they barely know each other. They had never even been alone on a date. They never had any physical contact romantically. I mean, how many people can say they had the perfect "first-time" sex? We know it is not this perfect magical thing at first. I can only imagine how they thought it was going to go and I bet there was some disappointment.

Same with everything else in the marriage. I am sure they are infatuated with each other (like everybody else that is going through the honeymoon phase of a relationship/dating), but we all know that does not last. What happens when these kids get out of this stage and perhaps realize they don't love their partner? Now they are stuck with a stranger whom they have a baby with! Crazy!!! :angry-banghead:

I grew up in a family of three kids, and everything was controlled. I mean, everything. From how many squares of toilet tissue we used to how much food and drink we had. A lot of times, especially going through growth stages, we were hungry. At nearly 50 years old I can still recite the rules. It took me a long time not to feel "bad" when I was grown for breaking those rules. Having those rules in place growing up, all three of us hid food and ate in secret. Maybe the size of the family wasn't the issue, so much as the strict control?

My mom used to store the individual chip bags in her closet. She wouldn't eat them, but she did not want my oldest brother eating ALL of them.

My parents would make big dinners- lots of starch, veggies and salad (belly fillers) and appropriate portions of protein.

My brother could eat as much starch, veggies and salad as he wanted, but he did not get unlimited servings of protein d/t costs. They also made sure that everyone had a little bit of everything on their plate, before he could have seconds.

He could eat a whole chicken, LOL. Out of all the kids, my oldest brother is the one who is naturally thin. WTH!

This reminds me of my older brother, he used to steal my food all the time!

Now I have stopped smoking and discovered food, he's probably more worried about me stealing his! 8-)

okay I missed this some where a long the line and now that things have calmed down. What type of dental surgery did Derrick have? I know he got braces but that isn't surgery and if you were getting braces would you have the dental surgery first? Inquiring minds want to know lol

If I didn't hide the ice cream, I would never get any.

I even have a stash of chocolate in my bedroom

I don't deny my kids treats, but left to their own devices that would be all they would want to eat.. Hence this is why they are treats.

(and Mom's chocolate stash, move along, nothing to see here...)

I can leave candy on the coffee table and it'll stay there. Cans of olive and fresh tomatoes? Those are the things the kids and I fight over. :)

okay I missed this some where a long the line and now that things have calmed down. What type of dental surgery did Derrick have? I know he got braces but that isn't surgery and if you were getting braces would you have the dental surgery first? Inquiring minds want to know lol

Maybe. It depends. For me when k was thinking I could afford braces, the plan was to have my wisdom teeth out and have 4 teeth extracted (all the healthy ones, of course, none with fillings) to make room in my mouth for all the other teeth. I knew that I wouldn't be able to be remotely awake when they took the 4 teeth out, and to do that a dental surgeon has to be available.

It wouldn't be hard at all for me to believe that is the case, or that Derrick happened to be having his wisdom teeth out right before he got braces.

I can leave candy on the coffee table and it'll stay there. Cans of olive and fresh tomatoes? Those are the things the kids and I fight over. :)

Used to keep a bowl of fresh fruit in the middle of the table. That they were allowed to eat it anytime they wanted. The fruit always had little bites in it. My husband used to always keep ice cream around. Used to tease him for taking such a big bowl full. He still thinks of the 'feeding the baby birds" every time he has ice cream. Without fail though, he'd be surrounded by our children, all chanting "some, some some". And he take a bite, then give each of them a bite.

palate expansion surgery

http://www.people.com/article/jill-dugg ... -exclusive

It may have been more innocent then what she's portray it. Like it was he last of that kind of treat and she wanted to make sure she got it.

Why oh why would you do that to yourself? (i have had a palate expander as a kid and mouth surgery ... just no)

Sometimes people have jaw conditions that are painful and having this surgery can correct that. The pain to go through will be minimal compared to having pain your entire life. I have NO idea if this is why Derrick had his surgery. I was supposed to have this done as a teenager, but it was too expensive even after insurance and I didn't have any pain or anything. As an adult my jaws are fine. I'm glad I didn't have it done.

Used to keep a bowl of fresh fruit in the middle of the table. That they were allowed to eat it anytime they wanted. The fruit always had little bites in it. My husband used to always keep ice cream around. Used to tease him for taking such a big bowl full. He still thinks of the 'feeding the baby birds" every time he has ice cream. Without fail though, he'd be surrounded by our children, all chanting "some, some some". And he take a bite, then give each of them a bite.

LOL! My kids do the same, and they always remind me of the seagulls, from Finding Nemo. It's like they have a sixth sense. Even if we are on opposite sides of the house, they can tell when I open something, because as soon as I sit down, I hear "Whatchya got mom, can I have a bite?".

I grew up as one of ten kids. We called it "survival of the fittest." If a bag of chips was opened, you better eat as many as you can in as few minutes as possible because it wouldn't last long. Dinner was the same : take your full portion as you likely won't get a second helping of the nicest dishes! We weren't poor Or starving. Just making do on a single income with two or three times as many kids as most other families had. I'm not even sure how I really feel about it now as an adult. Did it emotionally damage me? Probably not. I have my own income now and well, let's just say there is a learning curve on how to spend it/ how much to spend on food!

I grew up as one of 8 kids, with ten and sometimes 11 people supported on a single income (my paternal grandmother came to live with us after my grandfather passed away). We ate a lot of cassaroles, big pots of spaghetti, meatloaf and mashed potatos, tuna pie, pots of minestrone soup, etc. After we said grace, my dad would put a serving of whatever was the main dish on each of our plates and pass them on down. The rest of the meal would then be passed around so that everyone got at least one serving of: whatever vegetable, some form of bread usually, a green salad or occasionally a jello salad or even less often, cottage cheese with fruit cocktail (wheeee! living large!). My mom made plenty so there were always seconds on the main dish.

If I ever snuck food or treats into the bathroom, or anywhere else around the house as a kid, I don't remember that. I do remember that we kids used to sneak into the pantry and stick our fingers into a box of jello mix - that was back in the day when the boxes of jello were full-on sugar bombs. My mom had to have known! Little kid with red lips and tongue? dead giveaway. But I don't remember getting into trouble.

I hope Jill and Derick are figuring things out bit by bit, and at the very least, they will raise their children gently instead of harshly.

I'm sure they'll spin it as a humorous thing. But look at Josh--it says all you need to say on how the older kids were fed for years. Ditto Zach Bates...........

That is a quantum leap. It is not uncommon (at all!) for young adults to gain considerable weight in those early years outside of the home. For some, it's merely a matter of genetics and adult body type kicking in. For others, it begins with the "college 5", -gaining weight while eating cafeteria food and snacking too heavily, no parents to help hold the boundaries of portion control and healthy eating choices. I don't think Josh's weight gain has much to do with a lack of food in his home, but much more to do with Anna thinking (like my Polish grandmother did) that feeding her husband *well* is her duty as a wife, and sadly placing too much value on her worth, based on his enjoyment of her cooking.

Derick making the food in the bathroom remark on camera is the most prominent example of interactions he and Jill have had in talking heads this season that have indicated...something...to me. I'm not really sure what. (I know, that sounds weird.)

Possibly, it's an indicator that Derick's "blanket training" hasn't really set in and he didn't realize how it would sound on camera. He does seem like something of a social doofus (eg, aiming a sled at a cat even if he was sure the cat would move ) and I don't think he thinks about the way his words and actions come off to others.

Another thing I consider is that it might be a crack in the harmonious marriage facade. When Derick made that comment, Jill got a really quick look on her face that said "OMG why did you say that?" I almost wonder if it was originally an offhand comment Jill made, and then they got in a discussion about 18 sibs v 1, with Jill talking about how much more godly it is to have 18 and Derick firing back about not having to hide food in the bathroom. And then it got mentioned on a TH. Almost as if it's a subtle sign he isn't 100% on board with Duggar beliefs.

Another example--same episode--Derick imitating Josie. I almost got the impression that Jill was tattling on Derick to the cameras (He's making fun of the pwecious miwacle! Make him stop!)

If I re-watched all the episodes, I'm sure I could find more, but that's just the impression I've had all season--Derick says something that either wasn't thought out and/or show he's not swallowing this all hook, line, and sinker, and Jill makes comments about what he says/does with an "I'm telling on you" vibe.

While I didn't see any of those situations your way, I have to say, I've seen one doofus moment in particular that makes me think you *might* be correct in your impression. It was when they were in their labor classes and Derick was acting like a TOTAL DORK,....to. the. point. that Jill had to say that she needed him to be serious and not always making a joke. He made the (honest) excuse for himself that when a situation makes him nervous, he tends to try to make jokes to deal with it. The whole scene was so unresting to me, because up to that point, I saw Derick as gentle and mature and...well, that scene showed him to be anxious and immature and just plain goofy. I know that one moment is not the sum-total of an individual, but it WAS a crack and a glimpse into another side. The side you illustrate above.

I think JB and Michelle were obsessed and/or addicted to the whole pregnancy/birth thing (which is why they never adopted), but I don't think they really care about the children themselves. Hopefully, these younger Duggars will care for the kids themselves and individuals and when the family becomes so large there's food issues, etc, they will put a halt to the endless procreation.

After they were engaged and in the car headed home, Derick made a comment that they could just go get married, right now, and Jill reminded him that such a move would not be a good testimony and he sheepishly agreed.

IMO, Derick will come to his sense as finances will dictate such. In this regard, a move away from Duggarville would be great for Jill. She needs parental deprogramming, in a bad way. Izzy and Derick's sanity both depend on it.

I think JB and Michelle were obsessed and/or addicted to the whole pregnancy/birth thing (which is why they never adopted), but I don't think they really care about the children themselves. Hopefully, these younger Duggars will care for the kids themselves and individuals and when the family becomes so large there's food issues, etc, they will put a halt to the endless procreation.

I agree 100%- Jim cared because it proved he was sexually active and fertile. M just loved the attention that being a grand multip brings. Also, M enjoyed the immediate newborn stage, before any personality was shown. Once that kid needed to be watched or showed any temperament, she was done.

They were baby collectors, and are child neglecters.

Archived