IGNORED

Jill admitting she had to take food and hide in the bathroom

Nishi621

I don't think this information is really insight into anything other than the dynamics of a large family. My mom grew up in a family of (only) six kids, and she always tell me stories about her brothers eating all the snacks, but rewrapping air to make the packages look full to her mother. I imagine it's similar in the Duggar house; any hot commodity item would go immediately, as soon as the grocery bags hit the counter.

I also hear my friends who are parents talk about hiding in the bathroom to eat treats, so they don't feel obligated to share them with their kids. Since Jillymuffin was a head sister-mom, I assume this applies to her too.

Too bad the only place the kids might have privacy is the bathroom. This is why I would never survive as a Duggar.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derick making the food in the bathroom remark on camera is the most prominent example of interactions he and Jill have had in talking heads this season that have indicated...something...to me. I'm not really sure what. (I know, that sounds weird.)

Possibly, it's an indicator that Derick's "blanket training" hasn't really set in and he didn't realize how it would sound on camera. He does seem like something of a social doofus (eg, aiming a sled at a cat even if he was sure the cat would move ) and I don't think he thinks about the way his words and actions come off to others.

Another thing I consider is that it might be a crack in the harmonious marriage facade. When Derick made that comment, Jill got a really quick look on her face that said "OMG why did you say that?" I almost wonder if it was originally an offhand comment Jill made, and then they got in a discussion about 18 sibs v 1, with Jill talking about how much more godly it is to have 18 and Derick firing back about not having to hide food in the bathroom. And then it got mentioned on a TH. Almost as if it's a subtle sign he isn't 100% on board with Duggar beliefs.

Another example--same episode--Derick imitating Josie. I almost got the impression that Jill was tattling on Derick to the cameras (He's making fun of the pwecious miwacle! Make him stop!)

If I re-watched all the episodes, I'm sure I could find more, but that's just the impression I've had all season--Derick says something that either wasn't thought out and/or show he's not swallowing this all hook, line, and sinker, and Jill makes comments about what he says/does with an "I'm telling on you" vibe.

I made a blueberry lemonade for the occasion.

I'm mixing it with moonshine

:cracking-up:

I think you should get some kind of award for your recaps. I started out this season writing down the advertisers and I was seriously afraid our TV was not going to survive any additional episodes.

If I re-watched all the episodes, I'm sure I could find more, but that's just the impression I've had all season--Derick says something that either wasn't thought out and/or show he's not swallowing this all hook, line, and sinker, and Jill makes comments about what he says/does with an "I'm telling on you" vibe.

Imagine living with someone who you could never be yourself with. You didn't get to know them well enough during the courtship period to see what you were really getting into, for instance. Your spouse is always "on", or won't fight because after all, fighting is wrong and bad. She must "keep sweet" at all times, even if occasional conflict is part of any marriage. Add in the fact they're still adjusting to being married and they have a six-week-old baby.

One also has to wonder how many times Jilly Muffin has already called one or both of her parents over something derickdillard did that she didn't like.

There's no such thing as a perfect marriage, but I can't imagine dealing with the adjustments in this one for both parties.

Derick making the food in the bathroom remark on camera is the most prominent example of interactions he and Jill have had in talking heads this season that have indicated...something...to me. I'm not really sure what. (I know, that sounds weird.)

Possibly, it's an indicator that Derick's "blanket training" hasn't really set in and he didn't realize how it would sound on camera. He does seem like something of a social doofus (eg, aiming a sled at a cat even if he was sure the cat would move ) and I don't think he thinks about the way his words and actions come off to others.

Another thing I consider is that it might be a crack in the harmonious marriage facade. When Derick made that comment, Jill got a really quick look on her face that said "OMG why did you say that?" I almost wonder if it was originally an offhand comment Jill made, and then they got in a discussion about 18 sibs v 1, with Jill talking about how much more godly it is to have 18 and Derick firing back about not having to hide food in the bathroom. And then it got mentioned on a TH. Almost as if it's a subtle sign he isn't 100% on board with Duggar beliefs.

Another example--same episode--Derick imitating Josie. I almost got the impression that Jill was tattling on Derick to the cameras (He's making fun of the pwecious miwacle! Make him stop!)

Case in point: "Bulge in my pants." :lol:

I agree, he's weirdly socially unaware. How exactly does one attend four years of a state university, be a mascot--which I imagine would entail spending a lot of time with college athletes--and not even realize what else "bulge in my pants" can mean? I'm not sure it's a source of friction in his marriage, though. If anything, it's stuff like that that makes me think he and Jill and probably pretty compatible. I don't pay much attention to them when they're on camera so I miss a lot of visual cues, but if Jill does look at him like "WTF are you saying?" I think it might be more about him saying the wrong thing for the camera instead of in general. She's used to following a script to some extent, and him bringing up stuff that wasn't discussed beforehand probably really throws her off.

Don't forget TLC editing, too.

How fun! To have these manipulated situations, that aren't always accurate, preserved for their descendants! Said no Duggar who thought about it, ever. :lol:

All of the Duggar kids, especially Jill, are too sheltered to understand how messed up their childhoods were/are, from forcing the oldest girls to be sister moms or having a bunch of tweens and little girls who have spent their entire lives on camera, including their births. Jill might know that eating in the bathroom isn't normal, but she's convinced that Gothardism is the right way to live, so I doubt she thinks that it was wrong that she ever had to be in that position.

i come from a Catholic family of 8 kids. The only thing we snuck into the bathroom was booze from our parent's liquor cabinet. :naughty:

I think Derick said it and then Jill did an awkward smile and pouty face. I watched it not too long ago and TLC will frequently change episodes when they are repeated.

This is sad. It means she's poured her heart out to him about what she endured growing up, and he's probably still processing a lot of it. My mother grew up in a very large family, and she talked about things like this, about having to sneak food somewhere.

It makes me sad that Derick hears stories like this, and yet still expresses desire for a gigantic family. I hope that he only says that crap for the camera and for Boob's pleasure.

It makes me sad that Derick hears stories like this, and yet still expresses desire for a gigantic family. I hope that he only says that crap for the camera and for Boob's pleasure.

Same here. Hopefully when the show ends, he and Jill do have a smaller family than her parents. At this point, when Josiah gets married, he's more likely to have a large family, especially if they get married as soon as she's 18.

I made a blueberry lemonade for the occasion.

I'm mixing it with moonshine

:cracking-up:

When you run out of that Old Smokey Moonshine has plenty of fruit infused flavors

Your reviews are awesome!

While Derrick might be horrified at the food thing, ultimately he'll still have that large family - because it doesn't matter if your life on Earth sucks, it's getting to heaven that counts. This is how fundies, indeed fundamentalists of every religion, get away with a lot of their shit - the here and now does not matter.

I didn't see this interaction between Jill and Derrick in the episode version I watched online.

It is inevitable that with time, adaptations will be made to the ultra fundie lifestyle Jill and Derrick are currently living.

It's kind of like that comment Jill made about how getting married the day after engagement 'wouldn't be a very good testimony'. To me, this just shows a lot of her thought processes and decisions are based on her family testimony, and she doesn't want to bruise it. I think she feels the same way about adjusting her lifestyle too quickly. For example, swapping to pants might make her look like she only ever held those 'convictions' for her parents sake.

Out of all the Duggars, I think Jill is very careful about her words. She is very defensive and self-conscious and is uncomfortable when things are out of her control. She is often interrupting others who start to say the wrong thing. She is well trained in keeping sweet, and holds others accountable. Whereas, I think Jessa and Joy-anna have a far more relaxed approach in their manner of speech.

Jill seems a lot more uncomfortable on camera lately, watching her be exposed to different cultures, I think she is feeling kinda sad. She seemed especially uncomfortable at that pistol pete game, and didn't know what to do with herself in a college environment. In the latest episode, digging in with the duggars, she looked quite tired and sick and depressed. She doesn't seem that connected to baby Israel. When she said 'I keep thinking I cant believe he is actually mine!' it seems like she is having to realise, no, this is not my brother or sister, this is my son. That must be a strange adjustment... I think she is incredibly disappointed about the birth and also feel like she may be experiencing a bit of post-natal depression?

I didn't see this interaction between Jill and Derrick in the episode version I watched online.

It is inevitable that with time, adaptations will be made to the ultra fundie lifestyle Jill and Derrick are currently living.

It's kind of like that comment Jill made about how getting married the day after engagement 'wouldn't be a very good testimony'. To me, this just shows a lot of her thought processes and decisions are based on her family testimony, and she doesn't want to bruise it. I think she feels the same way about adjusting her lifestyle too quickly. For example, swapping to pants might make her look like she only ever held those 'convictions' for her parents sake.

Out of all the Duggars, I think Jill is very careful about her words. She is very defensive and self-conscious and is uncomfortable when things are out of her control. She is often interrupting others who start to say the wrong thing. She is well trained in keeping sweet, and holds others accountable. Whereas, I think Jessa and Joy-anna have a far more relaxed approach in their manner of speech.

Jill seems a lot more uncomfortable on camera lately, watching her be exposed to different cultures, I think she is feeling kinda sad. She seemed especially uncomfortable at that pistol pete game, and didn't know what to do with herself in a college environment. In the latest episode, digging in with the duggars, she looked quite tired and sick and depressed. She doesn't seem that connected to baby Israel. When she said 'I keep thinking I cant believe he is actually mine!' it seems like she is having to realise, no, this is not my brother or sister, this is my son. That must be a strange adjustment... I think she is incredibly disappointed about the birth and also feel like she may be experiencing a bit of post-natal depression?

I agree, Jill was not Jill on "Digging in with the Dugars". Maybe she is just tired, being up with baby Izzie all hours of the night to nurse and then Derick having surgery he probably couldn't help her much and if he was in pain and couldn't sleep he was probably keeping her awake. Usually the mother of the daughter that has the baby will go over and help on a regular basis but I don't think Michelle is that type of grandmother. It could be some depression coupled with fatigue. I don't worry too much about Jill and her mothering skills, I think she will be a good mother, but she may be overwhelmed right now. It makes me want to go to her house and clean for her and take care of Izzy so she can nap.

I grew up as one of ten kids. We called it "survival of the fittest." If a bag of chips was opened, you better eat as many as you can in as few minutes as possible because it wouldn't last long. Dinner was the same : take your full portion as you likely won't get a second helping of the nicest dishes! We weren't poor Or starving. Just making do on a single income with two or three times as many kids as most other families had. I'm not even sure how I really feel about it now as an adult. Did it emotionally damage me? Probably not. I have my own income now and well, let's just say there is a learning curve on how to spend it/ how much to spend on food!

Eh I wouldn't look too far into it. I've had completely emotionally healthy employers say that all the time about their kids. My current employer says that every day about her son and he's almost 2.

As for looking tired, she has a newborn. How is she supposed to look?!

Imagine living with someone who you could never be yourself with. You didn't get to know them well enough during the courtship period to see what you were really getting into, for instance. Your spouse is always "on", or won't fight because after all, fighting is wrong and bad. She must "keep sweet" at all times, even if occasional conflict is part of any marriage. Add in the fact they're still adjusting to being married and they have a six-week-old baby.

One also has to wonder how many times Jilly Muffin has already called one or both of her parents over something derickdillard did that she didn't like.

There's no such thing as a perfect marriage, but I can't imagine dealing with the adjustments in this one for both parties.

And then, on top of all that, Jill has to walk into her kitchen every day and see that ridiculous photo of her in her wedding dress with the caption stating that Jill "must not do evil unto Derick all the days of her life." Can you imagine the kind of pressure that puts on her to be submissive? Yikes. That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen on the Duggar show, hands down, and I've seen a lot of nonsense on that show.

Hopefully that photo will conveniently get dumped into a storage bin at some point, and possibly trashed in the near future. :?

• 2 weeks later...

for anyone that wants to see the clip, the original episode is posted on youtube, I set the starting point right before DD makes the comment. I was under the impression that Michelle and Boob had a lot of influence over what gets put into the final version of an episode, I guess it didn't occur to them how awkward this conversation would appear to outsiders... cause it sounds like a genuine anecdote that JD told DD in confidence

https://youtu.be/rr9JI1fSZos?t=22m23s

OK, I think that is the first time I have watched an entire Duggar show straight through. I have seen it before occasionally if it has been on TV at someone else's house but dear Lord, what a vapid bunch of people they are! Fuck me, the gravy train has been chundering along at a slow speed all these years.

Do people really watch this show, other than to snark? I wanted to tear my hair out sooo many times. :lol:

Back on topic, I agree the "taking food into the toilet" part was awkward. It seemed the only part of the programme that wasn't plasticky fakety fake. :)

I went back when the SHTF and watched the initial documentary about the family - I watched carefully and something disturbing that I noticed on more than one occasion - when the family was lined up for a buffet style meal, Josh would reach across & over whoever was in front of him (usually a younger sibling) and just take what he wanted. I know it seems like nothing, but it really struck me. As I understand it, the males are offered food before the females in this world they live in. Perhaps poor Jill was famished?

Eating disorders can occur if a child feels they have no control in a family or if child sexual abuse is present.

Eating disorders can occur if a child feels they have no control in a family or if child sexual abuse is present.it wouldn't shock me.

Archived