IGNORED

Family readies small children for the coming apocalypse.

tabitha2

that is part of the livin for the apocolypse special that was on TLC this weekend. A couple of us have mentioned it on other threads, but it was mostly ignored.

Sad.

Interestingly, not particularly fundie in his basis for believing this. Just plain weird.

I do think raising children to be able to handle emergencies at some level is good (where is the food kept? who's nearby that you could go to for help? etc), and giving them some resources/knowledge to be able to help themselves in some way. But not with the burden of "The END IS COMING!!!!!! Next year!!!!! And guess what? Mommy and Daddy might die, so *you* get to be The Man. At 5 years old."

Whenever I see stuff like this, I always wonder what these people will think when the world doesn't end. Those kids will probably end up with just a normal, typical adulthood. They'll have some strange stories to tell their friends, but I wonder if their parents will continue to stick with it or if they will cool off eventually. My dad made a pretty big deal about Y2K. We got a gas generator installed in our house, and he stocked up on gold bars (not sure why a collapsed society would value gold, but whatever). He never went as far as these parents but Y2K came and went and nothing happened and we basically never talked about it again.

All of these so-called survivalists get it wrong though. The only hope for long-term survival after the collapse of society is to start building a new society. Individualists don't fare well after a few years because no one person can make everything needed for survival and they'll run out of something eventually.

Archived