IGNORED

Michele Bachmann Mixes up Elvis Dates

roddma

Google! It is not that hard, why can't this woman use it before embarrassing herself?

But you know what, I hope she keeps it up so people see how clueless she is.

Nornally I don't hold riffles against a candidate, but really? She does shit like this too often. She is just careless. Can you imagine how she will alienate the rest of the globe?

I don't mind so much that she makes mistakes, but that she is too arrogant to ever admit that she was wrong, and too arrogant to even consider the possibility so she refuses to look anything up. Everyone makes mistakes, but she makes them 10 times more often than others because she thinks any random though that pops into her head is pure gold wisdom.

Guest Anonymous
I don't mind so much that she makes mistakes, but that she is too arrogant to ever admit that she was wrong, and too arrogant to even consider the possibility so she refuses to look anything up. Everyone makes mistakes, but she makes them 10 times more often than others because she thinks any random though that pops into her head is pure gold wisdom.

Are you sure you mean "thought'? Pick your terms carefully.

She also said that we fear the rise of China and the Soviet Union. Next up: America taken out by the Ottoman Empire!

This has probably been discussed elsewhere but the John Wayne/John Wayne Gacy flub is my favorite.

Announcing her bid for the presidency Monday, Michele Bachmann noted that she shares her birthplace of Waterloo, Iowa, with acting legend John Wayne.

"Just like John Wayne is from Waterloo, Iowa, that's the kind of spirit I have too. It's embracing America. It's sacrificing for America," Bachmann said.

The problem? The Duke is from Winterset, Iowa, about 150 miles away. John Wayne Gacy, the notorious rapist and serial killer, hails from Waterloo.

She is right though - She sure is embracing the spirit of Gacy and sorta looks like him too!

Words have meaning. She would be incredibly dangerous as president, for all the obvious reasons, and also because she is not careful or measured in her speech. Think of the things that Obama has gotten banged on the head for, which most reasonable people realize were just minor glitches. Bachmann is a freaking loose cannon compared to him (or nearly anyone, except perhaps Palin).

She also said that we fear the rise of China and the Soviet Union. Next up: America taken out by the Ottoman Empire!

What is really sad and ignorant about the right's fear of China is that they wouldn't have nothing to fear if they didn't continue to advocate the bad economic policies of Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. It's our polices that helped make China what it is today.

even sadder is those like the Duggars hang on to her every word. i can't believe jim bob and Michelle would support her. She obviously doesn't submit to her husband.

Oh come on.

She mixed up the dates of Elvis' birthday/death day?! Who cares??? And how is this relevant?

even sadder is those like the Duggars hang on to her every word. i can't believe jim bob and Michelle would support her. She obviously doesn't submit to her husband.

Oh come on.

She mixed up the dates of Elvis' birthday/death day?! Who cares??? And how is this relevant?

Clearly, the issue is not whether she knew the date of Elvis' death. The issue is that she constantly carelessly speaks - or misspeaks - about all sorts of issues which are important. She has a very casual relationship with the truth. And I do think that is relevant to her wanting to become president.

BTW, I wouldn't have know the date of Elvis' death other than it was in August, and the only reason I know that is that I remember hearing about it when shopping for back to school clothes.

I wouldn't have known the date Elvis died without looking it up, but I easily remember that his birthday is January 8. That was my dad's birthday as well as being the birthday of my mom's baby sister. I'm not sure if my aunt was born a year or two before Elvis or that same year.

My mom had a newspaper announcing Elvis's death in a trunk in her basement along with the paper from when Nixon resigned. She'd had the papers announcing V-E and V-J Days, at one point. I don't know what happened to those papers.

Clearly, the issue is not whether she knew the date of Elvis' death. The issue is that she constantly carelessly speaks - or misspeaks - about all sorts of issues which are important. She has a very casual relationship with the truth. And I do think that is relevant to her wanting to become president.

BTW, I wouldn't have know the date of Elvis' death other than it was in August, and the only reason I know that is that I remember hearing about it when shopping for back to school clothes.

If this is true (and I don't deny that it is) I think it best to stick to pointing out the important ones rather than tearing apart every dumb error, which just gives people a chance to scoff and say "well you're nitpicking everything she says, of course nobody is perfect 100% of the time!" JMO, obviously.

If this is true (and I don't deny that it is) I think it best to stick to pointing out the important ones rather than tearing apart every dumb error, which just gives people a chance to scoff and say "well you're nitpicking everything she says, of course nobody is perfect 100% of the time!" JMO, obviously.

You might note that I didn't say anything about the gaffe itself (other than to say that I wouldn't know the date of Elvis' death, either), but just addressed what I view to be her general lack of commitment to accuracy.

But thanks for telling me what's "best" to do :roll:

You might note that I didn't say anything about the gaffe itself (other than to say that I wouldn't know the date of Elvis' death, either), but just addressed what I view to be her general lack of commitment to accuracy.

But thanks for telling me what's "best" to do :roll:

I didn't tell you what's best to do, I stated what I THINK is best to do. There is a difference.

But go ahead and roll your eyes. God forbid anyone express a different opinion here in the hive vagina (kidding, kidding)

ETA: my comments also weren't directed only at you....you just gave a good example and so I quoted you. Perhaps that wasn't clear.

I didn't tell you what's best to do, I told you what I THINK is best to do. There is a difference.

But go ahead and roll your eyes. God forbid anyone express a different opinion here in the hive vagina (kidding, kidding)

Passive-aggressive much?

Passive-aggressive much?

I think my tone is not coming across at all. I'm joking with the hive vagina. Really.

She has, in the past, referred to herself as Dr. Bachmann, to give herself some cachet.

She has a Juris Doctor but it is improper to refer to oneself as "Dr." with that degree here in the USA. Most practicing lawyers style themselves as Jane Doe, Esq.

I have a JD and I'd never call myself Dr. mirele. It's just so *wrong*. (I confirmed with my practicing lawyer friends, they agree, they don't use Dr. and they think it's pretentious as hell.)

I'll be on your side. Frankly, this seems too small to even mention given some of the other things she's said. It makes the whole "Michele Bachmann made another mistake and it's kinda important that we see what kind of errors she's making" sound more like "O.M.G! Did you, like, totally hear what Michele Bachmann said? She is such a loser!" which is really more fitting to high school cliques.

I'll be on your side. Frankly, this seems too small to even mention given some of the other things she's said. It makes the whole "Michele Bachmann made another mistake and it's kinda important that we see what kind of errors she's making" sound more like "O.M.G! Did you, like, totally hear what Michele Bachmann said? She is such a loser!" which is really more fitting to high school cliques.

Can you or Beeks explain to me why I am being quoted as apparently someone who believes that Michelle Bachmann should be tarred and feathered over her gaffe about Elvis' death? I NEVER said she should, and I also said that I wouldn't know the date in question, either. I only said that she is frequently loose with the facts and with her words, and since words have meaning, this propensity should be considered in terms of her candidacy for the presidency. To me, the Elvis date issue is a non-issue in and of itself.

Can you or Beeks explain to me why I am being quoted as apparently someone who believes that Michelle Bachmann should be tarred and feathered over her gaffe about Elvis' death? I NEVER said she should, and I also said that I wouldn't know the date in question, either. I only said that she is frequently loose with the facts and with her words, and since words have meaning, this propensity should be considered in terms of her candidacy for the presidency. To me, the Elvis date issue is a non-issue in and of itself.

Austin, I'm sorry to have misrepresented you. It was not my intention to imply that you are tarring and feathering her or going after nitpicky stuff. As I said before, my comments were meant in a general way and the only reason I highlighted/quoted you is because you wrote about how she misspeaks about IMPORTANT issues. In my own bumbling way I was trying to agree with what I bolded from your quote and then expand on it. It clearly did not come across as intended.

Archived