IGNORED

Updates on Meredith

Morton Fan

I can't reveal my source :shhh: , but I am privy to lots of information about Meredith and Co.

In a nutshell:

-Stephen was deployed (for a second time) 4- 5 months ago. He's in Afghanistan, and will return in September. He got a promotion at the beginning of the year.

-He's going to begin law school at Harvard Law this Fall (2014) and will be done with the Army next Summer.

-They have a new son, John Bradford, who was born last September. He was named after Meredith's (I think it's hers and not Stephen's? Can't remember for sure) ancestor, who was some Confederate big whig. Very unfortunately, they call their son "Jobby" (Jobe-y).

-Stephen's mom comes frequently to help, and even gave them a car.

-It definitely feels like Stephen is grooming himself for politics, IMHO.

-Meredith was in about 4 Bible Studies when she first moved to the base where they're stationed, but petered out on all of them. When they had to say one interesting thing about themselves that no one else knew as an ice breaker, hers was "I met my husband through my blog."

There's lots more, but I've covered the main things I can think to cover.

Let me know if there are specific things you want to know and I'll try my best to answer, or if you want elaboration on the above. I actually never followed Meredith back in her heyday, so I'm not sure what's most pertinent to the masses. I'm not trying to be overly secretive or dramatic, but she/Stephen do read here (or have in the past), so I need to be a little careful. Feel free to doubt the info, since I'm being kind of vague, but I can assure you that the info is extremely reliable. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How old is their eldest daughter now? Any word on her?

How does Meredith get along with the other women in her social group? I can see her having things in common with other wives on base, but when Stephen and Meredith got married, people here wondered how she might relate to women who are just as smart and educated as her husband and who are decidedly NOT submissive to men.

How old is their eldest daughter now? Any word on her?

Margaret is 2. I don't think I'm allowed to post private pictures on here, but she's kind of cute and super blond. She's very, very quiet. She does have some playdates with one particular little girl (their neighbor), which I think is good. She wears VERY southern, girlie outfits (smocked dresses) and huge bows. She's a mini-Meredith - they even have matching aprons. Meredith is making her a nautical-themed bedroom, even though they will only be living in this house and state for 4 - 5 more months.

Oh! And I just remembered that Meredith has an Etsy shop!!!!! She sells handmade clothes. I will see if I can find the link and will post it when I do.

How does Meredith get along with the other women in her social group? I can see her having things in common with other wives on base, but when Stephen and Meredith got married, people here wondered how she might relate to women who are just as smart and educated as her husband and who are decidedly NOT submissive to men.

She doesn't really have many friends, and she is exceptionally quiet. It seems like they find her difficult to relate to, and my friend called her "fakey." Meredith is the leader of a group of women whose wives are deployed from Stephen's same unit, and Meredith plans social events for them. One of the events was a "lonely hearts" party on Valentine's Day, but it had to be cancelled due to weather, so afterward Meredith still posted pictures online of all of the decorations that she had planned to show everyone how nice it would have been.

She is close with one neighbor, and Meredith sought her out. Before she had even met this neighbor, Meredith left a "welcome home" basket with a note saying they couldn't wait to meet them, etc. I'm guessing Meredith had done a little research and that she or Stephen "vetted" this woman before meeting her, because the lady even occasionally watches Margaret and her daughter is Margaret's little friend.

She also really, really worships Stephen. Like, if they talk on the phone, she will clarify that they talked 'for 34 minutes' and that it was the best part of her day. She brags about him endlessly. She hates having him in the Army and can't wait to have him home every night - they talk about their future constantly while he's gone. She even once shared a letter that she had sent, talking about their dream to buy a 220 acre cattle ranch in Texas listed for 1.5 million dollars. She included a picture of the listing and said something like, "I know the price is kind of steep, but my hope is that someone will buy this property now, pay down the mortgage, fall on hard times and get foreclosed on, and we will be the lucky bidders who will buy it for a pittance." :pink-shock:

She doesn't really have many friends, and she is exceptionally quiet. It seems like they find her difficult to relate to, and my friend called her "fakey." Meredith is the leader of a group of women whose wives are deployed from Stephen's same unit, and Meredith plans social events for them. One of the events was a "lonely hearts" party on Valentine's Day, but it had to be cancelled due to weather, so afterward Meredith still posted pictures online of all of the decorations that she had planned to show everyone how nice it would have been.

She is close with one neighbor, and Meredith sought her out. Before she had even met this neighbor, Meredith left a "welcome home" basket with a note saying they couldn't wait to meet them, etc. I'm guessing Meredith had done a little research and that she or Stephen "vetted" this woman before meeting her, because the lady even occasionally watches Margaret and her daughter is Margaret's little friend.

She also really, really worships Stephen. Like, if they talk on the phone, she will clarify that they talked 'for 34 minutes' and that it was the best part of her day. She brags about him endlessly. She hates having him in the Army and can't wait to have him home every night - they talk about their future constantly while he's gone. She even once shared a letter that she had sent, talking about their dream to buy a 220 acre cattle ranch in Texas listed for 1.5 million dollars. She included a picture of the listing and said something like, "I know the price is kind of steep, but my hope is that someone will buy this property now, pay down the mortgage, fall on hard times and get foreclosed on, and we will be the lucky bidders who will buy it for a pittance." :pink-shock:

Interesting... thanks for the update. I wonder what Stephen himself really thinks of all this worship? You'd think it might get a bit tiresome after a while--she worships him, he basks in her praise, lather rinse repeat. Wouldn't someone as smart as Stephen want more than that? (Then again, perhaps I overestimate him, or underestimate her.)

Interesting... thanks for the update. I wonder what Stephen himself really thinks of all this worship? You'd think it might get a bit tiresome after a while--she worships him, he basks in her praise, lather rinse repeat. Wouldn't someone as smart as Stephen want more than that? (Then again, perhaps I overestimate him, or underestimate her.)

I wish I knew. He doesn't seem to mind from what I can tell - and his mom (who is divorced and not fundie, as far as I know) is extremely taken with Meredith.

And as much as she complains about Stephen being gone, I think Meredith does relish the drama of him being gone, her pining, their romantic homecoming, etc.

She even once shared a letter that she had sent, talking about their dream to buy a 220 acre cattle ranch in Texas listed for 1.5 million dollars. She included a picture of the listing and said something like, "I know the price is kind of steep, but my hope is that someone will buy this property now, pay down the mortgage, fall on hard times and get foreclosed on, and we will be the lucky bidders who will buy it for a pittance." :pink-shock:

Ewwww. That reminds me of the women on some adoption boards who pray they'll get the call that their child has a biological sibling on the way and they can adopt again. Capitalizing on someone else's heartbreak. Just lovely.

MortonFan, thanks for sharing! How interesting. I have always been fascinated by Meredith. Here are some questions, if there are too many just answer the ones you want to answer:

What is Stephen like? Is he a nice guy? Is he kind and respectful to Meredith, or does he seem to look down on her for her lack of education? How does he treat her?

Does Meredith seem happy?

Do they plan to leave their childbearing up to God? In other words are they planning on/expecting many more children? (I realize she may not have shared this)

How do you know that they read here (or have read here)?

What does Stephen think about Meredith's blog and the fact that FJ has discussed him online?

Is Stephen in combat in Afganistan?

What kind of father is Stephen (I am sure that Meredith is a good mother)?

Thank you!

Ewwww. That reminds me of the women on some adoption boards who pray they'll get the call that their child has a biological sibling on the way and they can adopt again. Capitalizing on someone else's heartbreak. Just lovely.

Just curious, but why couldn't they just adopt a different child in need of a home?

Morton Fan: Very interesting!! I'm curious if Stephen is well-liked among his colleagues - does he have Army friends? It sounds as though Meredith is a bit lonely, as most of us predicted. I don't think she is necessarily odd or prickly, I just didn't suspect she would do really well moving from place to place after the safety/security of her family and close-knit community. I don't see her as a politician's wife - she does't seem gregarious.

Thanks for the update Morton Fan! Meredith is one of my favourite fundies and I miss her blog.

I wonder how the other army wives relate to Meredith. (If you have any info.) I can imagine that most modern women would find her a bit curious (sheltered and religious upbringing, no education, met her husband through her blog, treat him like Prince Charming). OTOH, if she doesn't tell the whole story and they haven't read her blog, they wouldn't know. Do you have any information?

I dont consider her timing each conversation to be worship. He's in Afghanistan...and combat or not, there is still a danger. Even the major bases face rocket risks on a regular basis. So I'd say she's just so appreciative of every second she gets to talk to him, because it could be the last call. You just never know.

And if she seems standoffish, its for her own benefit if they are leaving in the few months. Its hard losing friends every so many years. I myself hated going to those WAG meetings, because half the time, the wives were so catty or jealous becuase your hubby is an officer and theirs is a private. It was easier to just find my own friends or do my own thing. Id be more worried if she completely turned family away.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how a guy raised UU wound up turning fundie- ish, hunted down a fundie helpmeet, and launched what looks to be a right- leaning military/ political career.

MortonFan, thanks for sharing! How interesting. I have always been fascinated by Meredith. Here are some questions, if there are too many just answer the ones you want to answer:

What is Stephen like? Is he a nice guy? Is he kind and respectful to Meredith, or does he seem to look down on her for her lack of education? How does he treat her?

He seems to be very devoted and in love with Meredith from what I can tell, but my experiences with him are limited.

Does Meredith seem happy?

I think I would say yes, although maybe not very content. I think she is very happy with Stephen and her kids, but maybe not so happy about their situation (in the Army, him being deployed, etc.). I think (just my feeling, nothing to go on besides a guess) that she would prefer that they live on a farm, settle down, etc. whereas Stephen seems extremely ambitious and has higher goals (politics, etc.).

Do they plan to leave their childbearing up to God? In other words are they planning on/expecting many more children? (I realize she may not have shared this)

Yes; she plans to have many more children. She talked about having lost all of the baby weight from having Jobby already (18 pounds and it was so easy! And she lost it in only two months!), and that she was so glad to have lost the weight, because since they plan to have such a large family, she was worried that she wouldn't lose the weight and would get heavier and heavier with each pregnancy.

How do you know that they read here (or have read here)?

When she mentioned in a Bible Study that she had met her husband through her blog, she mentioned that she had to close it down because of things being said about her on the internet, and she has referenced "security concerns" for her old blog.

What does Stephen think about Meredith's blog and the fact that FJ has discussed him online?

I'm not sure, except that he seemed to be in agreement that she should shut it down. She blogs now, but privately, so he mustn't have a problem with it otherwise. This is a little unrelated, but she's mentioned that they have the letters (not sure if they were actual letters or emails) that he wrote her initially after finding her blog, framed in the front room of their house.

Is Stephen in combat in Afganistan?

Yes, and he is an Airborne Ranger.

What kind of father is Stephen (I am sure that Meredith is a good mother)?

I don't know, as my experiences with Stephen are very limited. Meredith seems like a loving and devoted mother. She's still close with Sheridan, too.

Thank you!

Morton Fan: Very interesting!! I'm curious if Stephen is well-liked among his colleagues - does he have Army friends? It sounds as though Meredith is a bit lonely, as most of us predicted. I don't think she is necessarily odd or prickly, I just didn't suspect she would do really well moving from place to place after the safety/security of her family and close-knit community. I don't see her as a politician's wife - she does't seem gregarious.

I think you hit the nail on the head!!

I think Stephen seems well-liked as far as I can tell, and close with his unit. I don't know a whole lot about Stephen since he's been deployed so much.

Thanks for the update Morton Fan! Meredith is one of my favourite fundies and I miss her blog.

I wonder how the other army wives relate to Meredith. (If you have any info.) I can imagine that most modern women would find her a bit curious (sheltered and religious upbringing, no education, met her husband through her blog, treat him like Prince Charming). OTOH, if she doesn't tell the whole story and they haven't read her blog, they wouldn't know. Do you have any information?

She definitely stands out as being extremely meek, but I don't think most people would have any idea quite how different she is since she is so quiet. My friend was shocked to learn that she had ever had a blog, because she comes across so shy and almost devoid of personality and opinions.

I mentioned it upthread, but I never really read Meredith before all of this - so maybe this isn't unusual, but she certainly doesn't dress as conservatively as I would have expected, considering. She often wears dresses, but they're kind of short and she often wears boots and leggings with them, etc. I wouldn't say she's particularly stylish, but she's definitely not a frumper-lover. She does wear pants sometimes, too, but mostly dresses.

I dont consider her timing each conversation to be worship. He's in Afghanistan...and combat or not, there is still a danger. Even the major bases face rocket risks on a regular basis. So I'd say she's just so appreciative of every second she gets to talk to him, because it could be the last call. You just never know.

These are just my impressions, nothing set in stone. The general feeling I get from her is much more devoted/dependent than other military wives of husbands in similar situations. She has mentioned numerous times that she cannot wait to get out of the Army so that she can have Stephen home.

And if she seems standoffish, its for her own benefit if they are leaving in the few months. Its hard losing friends every so many years. I myself hated going to those WAG meetings, because half the time, the wives were so catty or jealous becuase your hubby is an officer and theirs is a private. It was easier to just find my own friends or do my own thing. Id be more worried if she completely turned family away.

Oh, I agree completely. I'm sure she has her reasons. But, she definitely stands out as being much more stand-offish and reserved than the other wives in the same situation. Not necessarily bad, just my observation. :)

Isn't Stephen the guy who wasn't raised fundie, but was searching online for a submissive, stay-at-home daugther to marry? That doesn't sound like someone who would get tired of being worshiped. In fact, if this is the same person, I'd go so far to say he was searching for just such a person.

Isn't Stephen the guy who wasn't raised fundie, but was searching online for a submissive, stay-at-home daugther to marry? That doesn't sound like someone who would get tired of being worshiped. In fact, if this is the same person, I'd go so far to say he was searching for just such a person.

The story that I heard (grain of salt) was that Stephen was not raised fundie, but somehow converted - then he was literally google searching "how to be a godly man" and her blog came up. I'd be interested to know the real story if anyone can enlighten me. :)

Just curious, but why couldn't they just adopt a different child in need of a home?

In the foster care system, if you have adopted or are fostering a child and a sibling comes through the system - you get first refusal , so to speak. I saw this different ways - parents that adopted who were thrilled to get siblings. Esp since if the birthmother already has kids in the system, sometime parental rights are automatically terminated as soon as the baby is born - so the foster/adoptive parents get a newborn with no/low risk of being reunified with their birth parents. I also knew parents who felt obligated to take on babies that they might not have because the birth mother kept getting pregnant and they didn't want to be responsible for breaking up siblings.

She definitely stands out as being extremely meek, but I don't think most people would have any idea quite how different she is since she is so quiet. My friend was shocked to learn that she had ever had a blog, because she comes across so shy and almost devoid of personality and opinions.

I mentioned it upthread, but I never really read Meredith before all of this - so maybe this isn't unusual, but she certainly doesn't dress as conservatively as I would have expected, considering. She often wears dresses, but they're kind of short and she often wears boots and leggings with them, etc. I wouldn't say she's particularly stylish, but she's definitely not a frumper-lover. She does wear pants sometimes, too, but mostly dresses.

Thanks for the reply! As far as I remember from the blog, Meredith seemed to strive for the preppy / WASP-ish look, so she wasn't into frumpers. I also think that she wore jeans on the farm and when she did her other jobs - the family had some kind of tractor (?) service and Meredith helped a lot there.

That's what I liked about Meredith: she had great work ethics and did everything on the farm, even the more "manly" and back breaking chores. I miss her blog - I'd give an arm to get access to her new, secret one.

The story that I heard (grain of salt) was that Stephen was not raised fundie, but somehow converted - then he was literally google searching "how to be a godly man" and her blog came up. I'd be interested to know the real story if anyone can enlighten me. :)

Here's what Meredith wrote about how they met:

Interesting, thank you!

Archived