IGNORED

R.I.P. Mickey Rooney

RandomTrivia

I just saw the news on Facebook: Mickey Rooney passed away yesterday (Sunday). Age 93, so he had a good long run, but still. I've never seen any of his Andy Hardy movies, mostly just National Velvet and The Black Stallion (movie and TV series).

I can't believe that CNN managed to leave National Velvet out of his obit, though. Seems to me that's one of his more well-known roles. Washington Post has a slideshow of a few dozen pictures of him (and his many wives - fundies would be appalled).

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/07/showbiz/m ... oney-obit/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html

R.I.P. Mickey Rooney. You are a Hollywood legend!

My stepdad knew him from MGM and said that he was always the most cheerful guy you'd want to meet. He knew everyone's name on staff and would speak to every body.

RIP Mickey and the golden age of movies.

Not Mickey. God, that makes me sad. Every year, we lose more legends. He had a good long run though. RIP.

R.I.P Mickey. You brought so much joy into people's lives and you will be missed!

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is airing a a memorial tribute this Sunday, April 13. It includes the first Andy Hardy picture "A Family Affair" at 9:15 AM, Captains Courageous at Noon, The Human Comedy, for which Mickey was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor, National Velvet at Midnight, and ending with A Midsummer Night's Dream at 4:30 in the morning in which Mickey plays Puck. This was a filmed version of a production given the year in the Hollywood Bowl. Jimmy Cagney of all people plays Bottom. I saw it recently and it's pretty good. Adventurous, too, if I may say so.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-new ... ey-Tribute

I'm sure that Mickey will be sorely missed at this weekend's TCM Classic Movie Festival. He'd been a special guest at several recent festivals and cruises.

Btw, TCM showed Captains Courageous this morning at 6. I didn't watch it as I couldn't afford to get wrapped up in the story. It's a wonderful film, though, and has great performances by Spencer Tracy, Lionel Barrymore, Freddy Bartholomew and of course, Mickey.

Edited for riffle or two

Haha, I totally forgot Mickey was in Captains! One of my old favourites, but be forewarned, a total tearjerker!

I'll have to try to clear some space on the DVR. I've seen National Velvet, but never any of the Andy Hardy movies, and the Shakespeare sounds worth a watch. I just remembered, we watched a pair of movies about Edison - Young Tom Edison, and Edison the Man. Mickey Rooney played young Edison, and Spencer Tracey was adult Tom in the second movie.

I'll have to try to clear some space on the DVR. I've seen National Velvet, but never any of the Andy Hardy movies, and the Shakespeare sounds worth a watch. I just remembered, we watched a pair of movies about Edison - Young Tom Edison, and Edison the Man. Mickey Rooney played young Edison, and Spencer Tracey was adult Tom in the second movie.

If you forget to DVR something, TCM should have their line-up online for about a week.

Archived