IGNORED

Cutthroat Kitchen (Food Network)

Curious

In the ad they call this "Chopped for Sociopaths" and it's really starting to get that way this season. Some of the stuff they come up with makes me wonder about people ;)

I do think that some of the things they are border on dangerous and make me a bit uncomfortable when they don't have any kind of disclaimers (not that it would necessarily help), but there is a difference between being in a studio with medics on hand and being at home and thinking that the "home edition" of Cuthroat Kitchen sounds like fun to try.

The making all your utensils out of aluminum foil one, particularly bothers me. People putting weirdly shaped foil into hot fryer grease scares the hell out of me. That is not safe, IMO.

Most of the stuff they do, just amuses me though. It's funny to see the different strategies people use (or don't use). I usually watch with a friend or my husband and we like to pick who we think will be the winner based on their intro alone (can't pick the same person).

My husband loves this show. I'm starting to come around, but I really had a hard time with it at first. I just wanted to see them make good, creative food. I recently had a dream that I was on the show and all the eggs were smashed, and I kept looking for some eggs that didn't have shells in them, and I ended up getting locked in the pantry.

I don't watch Cutthroat Kitchen because I'm not the biggest fan of Alton Brown. He made some really offensive anti-gay jokes when he was in Iowa a few years ago. Apparently, he's got this thing about not ever being approached while he's going to the men's room. It doesn't take long to find accounts online from guys who say that they've had trysts with Alton years ago. Alton does go to a Southern Baptist church that has a pray-the-gay-away "ministry." I personally think that Alton is just a big closet case. I have to admit that I do catch some episodes of Good Eats and Iron Chef.

ETA: My son-in-law was at the urinal in between Brent Spiner (Data on ST:TNG) and James Marsters (Spike on Buffy) last year at Dragon Con. Apparently they had no such strictures on people talking to them in the men's room.

I don't watch Cutthroat Kitchen because I'm not the biggest fan of Alton Brown. He made some really offensive anti-gay jokes when he was in Iowa a few years ago. Apparently, he's got this thing about not ever being approached while he's going to the men's room. It doesn't take long to find accounts online from guys who say that they've had trysts with Alton years ago. Alton does go to a Southern Baptist church that has a pray-the-gay-away "ministry." I personally think that Alton is just a big closet case. I have to admit that I do catch some episodes of Good Eats and Iron Chef.

ETA: My son-in-law was at the urinal in between Brent Spiner (Data on ST:TNG) and James Marsters (Spike on Buffy) last year at Dragon Con. Apparently they had no such strictures on people talking to them in the men's room.

I am kind of luke warm on Alton, to be honest. I think he is starting to look a little "pedo-bearish," if that makes sense :? Not because I think he's gay. That never crossed my mind, actually. He just seems like he's starting to look really skeevy to me.

He's a bit over-the-top sometimes (in several of his shows), for me as well.

I mostly just like the contestants and judges and try to ignore the hosts that annoy me. I don't find him so bad on Iron Chef America, but that's a totally different kind of atmosphere and more restrained so he has to stay more reeled in, as well.

I remember reading a blah post about 10 years ago when we had a tropical storm come through about some flooding in his basement. He referred to his partner in the post. Now some people do use the term partner as a gender neutral to refer to their spouse, but it's more common even now for use the term husband or wife for het couples.

I don't care if Alton is gay or not, but I'd prefer if closet cases came out or at least didn't deny their sexuality. Does that make sense?

I remember reading a blah post about 10 years ago when we had a tropical storm come through about some flooding in his basement. He referred to his partner in the post. Now some people do use the term partner as a gender neutral to refer to their spouse, but it's more common even now for use the term husband or wife for het couples.

I don't care if Alton is gay or not, but I'd prefer if closet cases came out or at least didn't deny their sexuality. Does that make sense?

I know he's referred to having a daughter on KC, but that doesn't really mean anything. I don't know much about him, other than what I've seen on the various shows. I've never googled him or anything because he doesn't interest me at all.

I don't care one way or another what someone's sexual orientation is. I don't really even think about it. I don't think people should be forced to come out if they don't want to because their sexual orientation shouldn't matter. I don't think they should be like we sometimes see in politicians and "vote against their own interest" for lack of a better description ;) Just staying silent on the topic is sometimes the better action.

I've always liked Alton because he is a little weird. I like weird. I even saw his stage show "The Inevitable Edible Tour" and enjoyed it. That said, I don't watch him on Cutthroat Kitchen. Not a fan of competition shows. I guess I am a purist and prefer to watch shows that teach me something. I learned something yesterday from Ina Garten's show which had a new and unique take on the wedge salad.

I've always liked Alton because he is a little weird. I like weird. I even saw his stage show "The Inevitable Edible Tour" and enjoyed it. That said, I don't watch him on Cutthroat Kitchen. Not a fan of competition shows. I guess I am a purist and prefer to watch shows that teach me something. I learned something yesterday from Ina Garten's show which had a new and unique take on the wedge salad.

Is Ina the Barefoot Contessa? If so, I like her show. I watch it once in a while. I admittedly like the "contest" type shows better, but I do watch Trisha Yearwood's show and Pioneer Woman (as well as Barefoot Contessa) a couple times a week.

Is Ina the Barefoot Contessa? If so, I like her show. I watch it once in a while. I admittedly like the "contest" type shows better, but I do watch Trisha Yearwood's show and Pioneer Woman (as well as Barefoot Contessa) a couple times a week.

I love Ina. Butter. My kind of lady :D

• 3 weeks later...

I loved him on Good Eats. That was a informative show, the type of show I used to expect from the FN. I think that Cutthroat Kitchen makes Guy's Grocery Games look like something that should be on PBS. I started disliking Alton when I read that he influenced a season on the Next Food Network Star to pick Melissa D'Arabian because they shared the same Christian values.

Curious you are just an Alton Brown hater! he looks good with his bread...and not even a tenth as creepy as Dean on chopped canada

Curious you are just an Alton Brown hater! he looks good with his bread...and not even a tenth as creepy as Dean on chopped canada

I don't want to know what Alton is doing with his bread! :mouse-shock: Dean is not creepy, he's just misunderstood :shifty-kitty:

I loved him on Good Eats. That was a informative show, the type of show I used to expect from the FN. I think that Cutthroat Kitchen makes Guy's Grocery Games look like something that should be on PBS. I started disliking Alton when I read that he influenced a season on the Next Food Network Star to pick Melissa D'Arabian because they shared the same Christian values.

She's a judge on GGG now. I've tried watching her show (I think it's something under $10?) twice and while I can tolerate her as a judge, something about her for a whole 1/2 hour on her own show grated on me.

Curious, I am glad that I am not the only one addicted to these dumb Food Network shows. They are my default TV setting for when I need background noise.Melissa's tips for cooking on 10 dollar meals were so lame. Things like buying an sale, cooking beans from scratch and serving very small portions. Her food was not creative. My favorite winner was Aarti. I made a few of her dishes and they were so good.

• 2 weeks later...

My girls and I LOVE Food Network shows - especially Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen. We watch that channel all of the time.

Alton is the perfect host - a bit odd, yet knows what he's talking about. I had never given any thought to his sexuality and am another that simply doesn't care about it. It's HIS life, and the public simply isn't entitled to know something that personal if he doesn't wish to share it.

Curious, I am glad that I am not the only one addicted to these dumb Food Network shows. They are my default TV setting for when I need background noise.Melissa's tips for cooking on 10 dollar meals were so lame. Things like buying an sale, cooking beans from scratch and serving very small portions. Her food was not creative. My favorite winner was Aarti. I made a few of her dishes and they were so good.

I LOVE Aarti!! Been thinking about her a lot lately as her most recent blog post revealed her struggle with post partum depression. (I think it's aartipaarti.com??)

I need to get her cookbook - I love that she has very do-able recipes and a lot of vegetarian options.

As for Cutthroat Kitchen - it's OK. I find it really contrived and wish the judge knew a LITTLE about the sabotages. Maybe that "This chef had THREE sabotages" or something like that. It's really shitty when you have to make something like a BLT and your bacon gets taken.

Aarti's Chicken Tikka Marsala is the best thing I ever cooked. It turned out so delicious. I love a good competive cooking show but Cutthroat Kitchen doesn't work for me. It seems mean and I hate mean shows.

Archived