IGNORED

Olivia is starting a clothing company

Jenny

Olivia recently shared on her blog that she is starting a Kickstart campaign to fund a clothing company, "Fresh Apparel Denim Co." The first product will be the skirt from her e-book.

freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2014/04/whats-up-story-behind-fresh-apparel.html

It seems like she put a lot of work into this project and it might actually go somewhere.

I hope that she does well.

However I want her to realize that this means that she is a business woman who is taking care of her own future - more specifically I want her to realize that she is not just a helpmeet to her father or future husband. The thing I just can't stand is the hypocracy of these fundie women. They make business plans, they raise funds, they start businesses and yet they still try and pretend that they are just submitting to their father/husband. I just want fundie women like Olivia to admit the truth and stop lying about who they really are.

I hope that she does well.

However I want her to realize that this means that she is a business woman who is taking care of her own future - more specifically I want her to realize that she is not just a helpmeet to her father or future husband. The thing I just can't stand is the hypocracy of these fundie women. They make business plans, they raise funds, they start businesses and yet they still try and pretend that they are just submitting to their father/husband. I just want fundie women like Olivia to admit the truth and stop lying about who they really are.

Excellent point. Olivia has a lot of talent; she isn't some amateurish charlatan like Kelly C. I'd like Olivia to do well. And I also want her to admit she has ambition and yes, she is a business women. Women can fulfill so many roles, both professionally and personally. Olivia can run a business and still be a devoted daughter. It doesn't have to be a one or other thing.

I'm conflicted. ON the one hand, I'd love to see this young woman break out of the fundy life and claim her life as her own. On the other, if she's still going to claim to be completely submissive to me, then I don't give a rat's ass if she succeeds or fails. I'm tired of the hypocrisy. If you're elite, the rules don't apply to you. If you're not elite, then tough beans, you better not do as much as raise your eyes to a man's. Either own that you're an individual with your own rights to have goals and not be a second-class citizen, or fail for all I care. If she admits that she's stepping away (As Golightly said, you can still be devoted), then I'll buy one of those skirts just to help. If she's going to still claim to be a good lil' submissive, then I won't.

Fingers crossed this is the first part of a plan to step outside being a doormat.

On a similar note, didn't she had sisters who do this stuff too, or am I thinking about another group?

I don't think she is going to admit she's no longer submissive. She's stated that she considers working while living at home to still be under her father's headship. I think her father is a bit relaxed about his girls having hobbies and interests, plus her parents are depending on her to pay for her siblings' clothing. If her father became better at providing or for whatever other reason told her to stop the business, I believe she would. She is very adamant that she is a SAHD who obeys him.

I am hoping the business teachers her to be more tolerant to other religions. I noticed she now has a Jewish clothing company advertising on her site, despite her many comments that anyone who's not a Christian is going to hell, is legalistic, etc. She may need to tone done those comments if she wants to maintain good relationships with her advertisers and customers who may not all be the same kind of fundie.

Olivia's blog is a disappointment to me of late because I've read her family's blogs for several years, and at one time they were less fundie. Her mom has a college degree. It once looked like Olivia might also get an education and a job, but now she has few options. I hope the skirt line opens up her life a little more.

I hope it's successful, but my world-weary prediction is that she'll saturate her market and not see a lot of success after that. She alluded to the fact that US-made denim clothing is not going to be cheap, so a lot of her homeschooled/SAHD audience is not going to have the kind of disposable income her clothing line demands. They're the young women posting on her "what I wore" features with mismatched thrift store finds. She would do better to have t-shirts or accessories that her teens-and-twenties SAHD set can afford.

Anyway, reading between the lines, it's her mother I'm most intrigued by and concerned about. Olivia talks about her mother's continued poor health while underlining that they eat gluten free, clean food, vegan, etc -- many different stabs at nutritional healing that don't seem to do the trick for Mother, who was healthy before they were dragged down to Tennessee to live near the fundie church dear Papa espoused. My FJ suspicion is that the mother is severely depressed and having somatic symptoms, on top of what may be a real illness. Anyone else see anything odd with the family? Olivia doesn't talk about it much, but she's answered in the comments a few times and it raises red flags.

I don't think her mother has been vegan actually. They do the GAPS diet.

I'm also not sure her mother was healthy before the move. Their family blog alluded to various health problems in the family for years before they left for Tennessee.

I would not automatically blame her health on depression or their fundieness. Some people do have health issues that are difficult to diagnose and address.

Picture this dress in white, with a few modifications: floor length and with a long train. I think it would make an awesome fundy wedding gown. She could make it with a sparkley lace for brides who want a little bling.

DSC_0608.jpg

I think Olivia should add wedding gowns to her line, if she is able to start her clothing business.

I love how she said "tell every skirt wearing person you know." I know a few men.... She'd flip.

All joking aside, girl is ambitious, I have to give her that. I would not have been able to go out and do half that stuff.

Picture this dress in white, with a few modifications: floor length and with a long train. I think it would make an awesome fundy wedding gown. She could make it with a sparkley lace for brides who want a little bling.

DSC_0608.jpg

I think Olivia should add wedding gowns to her line, if she is able to start her clothing business.

Wow, that is amazing! Olivia has got some mad skillz, not just with the actual sewing, but with design, too.

Cute dress, too bad she didn't bother to hem it.

She said she did not hem the lace because it will not unravel. But, I agree that a hem (maybe a rolled hem) would make it look more finished.

• 2 weeks later...

She is one of my pet fundies and I generally like her style even though I am not as modest. Sometimes she goes overboard on layers and accessories. But anyway she is starting an clothing store for jean skirts and they actually look really cute and not frumpy. I wish her well with this

freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2014/04/whats-up-story-behind-fresh-apparel.html?m=1

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy she is following her passion and running her own business. She seems like a nice (albeit slightly self absorbed) young lady who is legitimately talented. I hope her business isn't supporting the whole family. Either way I am excited to see a fundie woman start a business

I'm not sure who this is, but she seems to be driven and she has clearly been working hard. Good for her!

Archived