IGNORED

Creationists go nuts over SC girl's proposal of state fossil

PennySycamore

An 8 year-old girl has proposed that the Wooly Mammoth be designated the official South Carolina state fossil. It turns out that Olivia McConnell had found out that some of the earliest fossils found in North America were mammoth teeth found by a slave on a plantation in 1725. Anyway she wrote to her state reps asking them to designate the Wooly Mammoth as the state fossil. We've already got a state tree, flower, bird, flag. dog (Boykin spaniel), butterfly, and beverage. She just wanted the wooly mammoth added to the state code. The bill amending the code passed the house 94-3.

Leave to the nuts in the state Senate to throw a monkey wrench into the amendment. State Senator Kevin Bryant wanted to add three verses from Genesis that would have describing god as the creator of all things including the mammoth. The Lt. Governor rules that Bryant's amendment was out of order whereupon the batshit crazy RWNJ Sen Mike Fair from Greenville placed an objection on the bill which means it ain't going anywhere.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/30/8 ... t-for-god/

In other SC crazy news, the assistant principal at my old high school fat-shamed a six year old girl on his Facebook. he violated district policy and he resigned before he could be fired. I think I sat next to this jerk at my niece's wedding

http://www.wspa.com/story/25133405/walh ... o-boo-post

South Carolina: too large for an insane asylum and too small for a republic.

Such good Christians, to pull this on an 8 year old child, fucking assholes.

I look at them and pray to any god that if there is a heaven and they're there, don't send me too.

Ugh, South Carolina. What the fuck?! Charleston is one of my favorite cities. Too bad it's in South Carolina.

well they are children too in reality.

I guess that quote about South Carolina being "too large for an insane asylum" is still true today.

Nauru manages to be a country with less than 10, 000 ppl. You could cut SC lose easily. I'm sure there'd be loads of fundies happy to move into their own country. They could reintroduce stoning.and ship all the gheyz and dissidents to the decadent west , sort of like they did in East Germany.

Have any of you South Carolinians been to Aiken? It's supposed to be very horse-friendly so it's sounds like my kind of town.

Have any of you South Carolinians been to Aiken? It's supposed to be very horse-friendly so it's sounds like my kind of town.

I've been to Aiken several times although it's been years. There's a very funny book by two men who moved to Aiken from NYC to renovate one of the grand old estates. I wish I could remember the title of the book now. They've got stories in there about the Irish travelers and about this one guy that apparently has everything you'd ever need in salvage. They dealt with him lot, IIRC, as they wanted to restore the house to its former glory. I imagine they were gay though they never said directly. I could be wrong about the sexual orientation thing.

ETA: I think I know enough now to do a search for the book. If my internet connection will quit acting up, I'll look for it. I'll post the title if I can find it.

ETA II: I found it! The title of the book is On a Street Called Easy, In a Cottage Called Joye by Gregory White Smith and Steven Naifeh.

Here's the GoodReads page for it:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7329 ... alled_Joye

I'm still stuck here. Pity me.

Uh. Me too. :( we had to move here 3 long years ago for jobs and I count down the days we move away. DH has a job opportunity that might allow us to move in the next few months and I couldn't be more excited.

Ok even Utah has a state fossil and I considered them very conservative fundie as a whole. What is wrong with Sc?, 42 out of 50 states have a state fossils. BTW woolly mammoth seems to the most poplar type - Alaska, Nebraska, & Washington

Since when do creationists deny the existence of fossils? They can't stop them from existing. Even the most conservative people I knew growing up believed in fossils, and hat they were real and not created by satan.

Archived