IGNORED

Murdoch Mysteries

nomoxian

Anyone else really like this show?

I think it's interesting that, even though it's situated in the "olden days" the characters - especially the females - have way more freedom than kids in fun die houses like the Duggars or Maxwells.

One of the female characters even had a *gasp* abortion!

Love this show! It's one of my favourites. I went on a tour of the set last summer and got to meet some of the cast and crew. :)

It is great how they mix science and early inventions with detecting crimes. The female characters have way more freedoms than our frumper "friends" would even think of.

Love how the writers combine history, mystery, suspence, romance and humour in the episodes. Glad to see another fan here.

Ooh you're so lucky!! What is the set like? And do you mean the police station set or...? I always assumed they used regular streets around Front St. for the shots.

I used to live in Toronto so it was awesome to see places on the show, like the glass place in Allen Gardens, and be able to say "I saw that on Murdoch Mysteries!" Every time I saw a movie/TV crew there I hoped it was for the show, but it never was (One time it was a set that made it look like winter in the middle of summer!)

I tried to get my mate, who likes science fiction and action stuff, into the show by saying "it's like 1900s CSI" but he didn't take the bait. I'm left to watch the show after he goes to sleep, so I don't have to deal with verbal eyerolling :p

The set has the police station, the morgue and Dr. Ogden's office. The back lot has the old time city scenes, so most of the street scenes are shot in the back lot. On location they often shoot in Brampton or Hamilton areas for house exteriors and other street scenes. It is expensive and crowded to shoot much in Toronto, so when they need street scenes beyond the back lot, they will go to nearby cities or towns.

The set is really realistic; they even have University diplomas on the wall for Julia. We got to see one of the bodies - they keep it glistening by applying an "adult lubricant."

Haven't seen the series - I should see if our library has the DVDs - but I did read the books that the series seems to be based on (loosely?). I enjoyed them a lot. Does anyone know how the series compares to the books? Lots of overlap, the only thing they have in common is the title, or somewhere in between?

I have enjoyed both the books, movies and tv show. The movies remain quite true to the books and depict a gritty turn of the century Toronto. The tv show is a bit brighter, but encorporates Murdoch's love of science with his detection. A lot of topical issues are addressed; homosexuality, racism, religious intolerance, gender roles... I think both the movies and tv shows are on netflix.

There are a few episodes on Youtube, as well as the Murdoch Effect mini series where he goes ahead in time! The other characters, like Julia, are different but still recognizable.

If you are in Canada (or "in Canada" ;) ) you can access the episodes from CBC... but even when I lived in Canada I just downloaded them, so I wouldn't have to deal with lag and commercials.

The season just ended, so regardless of how you get the show, you have a while to catch up!

• 1 month later...
There are a few episodes on Youtube, as well as the Murdoch Effect mini series where he goes ahead in time! The other characters, like Julia, are different but still recognizable.

If you are in Canada (or "in Canada" ;) ) you can access the episodes from CBC... but even when I lived in Canada I just downloaded them, so I wouldn't have to deal with lag and commercials.

The season just ended, so regardless of how you get the show, you have a while to catch up!

I just discovered that one of the satellite/cable channels, Ovation, is showing Murdoch Mysteries in the US - but the sneaky devils changed the title to "Artful Detective" for some unknown reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered that one of the satellite/cable channels, Ovation, is showing Murdoch Mysteries in the US - but the sneaky devils changed the title to "Artful Detective" for some unknown reason.

Artful Detective? It doesn't even sound better. I wonder what compelled them to do that... Maybe it has to something to do with the fact that there's a Murdoch book series? And those Americans love their copyright laws and sueing one another :penguin-no:

Artful Detective? It doesn't even sound better. I wonder what compelled them to do that... Maybe it has to something to do with the fact that there's a Murdoch book series? And those Americans love their copyright laws and sueing one another :penguin-no:

Apparently (according to http://dorothy-production-621855199.us- ... rent-title via TheLoop.ca) "Artful Detective" was the subtitle to the early books, and ties in with Ovation being the artsy cable/satellite channel (now that A&E is no longer Arts or Entertainment). I read the books and don't remember a subtitle, but it's been a while. Still doesn't make sense. If you've got a "brand" of sorts, don't go making brand recognition harder than you have to. "Artful Detective: the Murdoch Mysteries" isn't any longer than Star Trek: The Next Generation, or any of the CSIs.

Totally unrelated, except that they're both Canadian, I found out that Acorn Media is streaming Republic of Doyle on their AcornTV this month. If it's still there next month, I may do the free trial of their service. (Acorn Media is a catalog that sells a bunch of Canadian & British/UK TV series on DVD, plus other goodies in the catalog. Kind of like the Signals catalog that PBS/NPR used to do and may still do.)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just discovered this series on Ovation. I was watching some episodes of Antiques Roadshow -UK and this came on afterwards. I love it! It's got mystery, history, a bit of forensic science and a hot leading man. I think some of my girls would like it, as well.

I have a friend in Canada who recently discovered the series and talked me into watching it with her. I'm viewing it through Amazon. I'm finding it delightful.

• 1 month later...

Thoroughly enjoyed this show. Only the first three seasons are available on Amazon without paying per episode or season thereafter. Fortunately my regional library system has seasons four and five on DVD. There is a waiting list, but I am looking forward to see what happens with Murdoch and Julia in the new century.

My favorite episode was the one with Nicola Tesla, with Alexander Graham Bell a close second.

With Amazon Prime it's free through season five.

With Amazon Prime it's free through season five.

You are right. It is season six and seven I will be getting via the library when available.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Monday, November 3rd was the 100th episode of Murdoch Mysteries. CBC held an event where 1000 fans could come downtown Toronto and watch the episode on large screens and listen to the cast and producers/writers give a chat about the show. I had tickets, but got the flu. I was glad they posted the chat online, so will share it here. If you are not currently watching season 8, this will contain spoilers!

Archived