IGNORED

Re-Homed Teen Sent Away b/c She Knew of Abuse in Family

Cleopatra7

The story is sad on several levels: the re-homing aspect, the abuse of children in every way imaginable, the lack of oversight about what happens to adoptive children, etc. Offering to re-home really opens the doors for any pedophile or psychopath to get victims without anyone finding out, especially since the children are afraid to seek help from outsiders.

http://news.yahoo.com/special-report-gi ... 17019.html

(link not broken, because it's yahoo news)

I read this earlier. If I had a home with enough space, I'd be tempted to hop onto one of those sites to take all the kids I would so they'd be safe, and then get our asses before a judge to make sure those kids are protected. I can't stand how a friend of mine was denied adoption because she had diabetes (she was adopted, her sister and brother were adopted, and she can't carry a baby, and didn't want to anyway), yet they'll give nutjobs with a houseful of kids another to stack on the pile and abandon.

This is messed up. It's bad enough this poor girl was put in an orphanage in her home country. Then she finally thinks she is getting a better life but gets "re homed" instead :wtf:

Here's what I don't understand...people adopt children and then dump them if they become "a problem". They would dump their own bio kids, so why dump you adopted child? If you don't want to deal with a less than perfect child, PLEASE don't become a parent. The kids are better off without you. This girl could've been raped or killed. There's a reason why foster/adoptive parents go through classes,background checks,home studies,interviews. I would never do this to my adopted children. I hope this girl receives counseling and the adopted parents get charged.

This is tragic. :( The original adoptive parents live in my home town... it's crazy when something like this hits so close to home.

This is messed up. It's bad enough this poor girl was put in an orphanage in her home country. Then she finally thinks she is getting a better life but gets "re homed" instead :wtf:

Here's what I don't understand...people adopt children and then dump them if they become "a problem". They would dump their own bio kids, so why dump you adopted child? If you don't want to deal with a less than perfect child, PLEASE don't become a parent. The kids are better off without you. This girl could've been raped or killed. There's a reason why foster/adoptive parents go through classes,background checks,home studies,interviews. I would never do this to my adopted children. I hope this girl receives counseling and the adopted parents get charged.

With some of these evangelical and/or fundie adoptive parents, it seems like they get into adoption without considering the psychological issues of the child: attachment disorders, food issues, abuse suffered at the hands of bio parents or orphanage workers, the language barrier, etc. Since many of these parents don't believe in psychology, they just assume that material possessions and Jesus will make everything better. I've read some of the articles about the child trafficking that is going on to fill the evangelical demand for children, and it seems like too many of the adoptive parents are just willfully blind, not just about what being an adoptive parent will entail in the long run, but about the ethics of adoption. We see this in the US with the abortion debate, where fundies seem to think that poor, unwed women should just give them their babies, as if such women only exist to give them babies. They need to learn that poor people don't exist so they can feel better about themselves.

With some of these evangelical and/or fundie adoptive parents, it seems like they get into adoption without considering the psychological issues of the child: attachment disorders, food issues, abuse suffered at the hands of bio parents or orphanage workers, the language barrier, etc. Since many of these parents don't believe in psychology, they just assume that material possessions and Jesus will make everything better. I've read some of the articles about the child trafficking that is going on to fill the evangelical demand for children, and it seems like too many of the adoptive parents are just willfully blind, not just about what being an adoptive parent will entail in the long run, but about the ethics of adoption. We see this in the US with the abortion debate, where fundies seem to think that poor, unwed women should just give them their babies, as if such women only exist to give them babies. They need to learn that poor people don't exist so they can feel better about themselves.

This is the problem. They don't really have any understanding of the types of psychological damage some of these children have. I honestly think that any prospective adoptive parent of a child older than a toddler should be required to take classes in this. They should also know that many of the children in orphanages in other countries aren't actually orphans at all and do get to regularly interact with family. Removing them from this and brining them to a completely foreign environment with no supports can actually be considerably worse than leaving them where they are.

I think a lot of people would dump bio kids if family wouldn't question. You can blame bonding issues for an adopted child not being there anymore. How do you explain a bio-kid being illegally rehomed?

Remember when Nebraska temporarily opened the safe haven laws without regard to age and people drove in from out of state to dump kids of all ages, including one group of 7 siblings? There are people who dump bio-kids too.

I think a lot of people would dump bio kids if family wouldn't question. You can blame bonding issues for an adopted child not being there anymore. How do you explain a bio-kid being illegally rehomed?

Remember when Nebraska temporarily opened the safe haven laws without regard to age and people drove in from out of state to dump kids of all ages, including one group of 7 siblings? There are people who dump bio-kids too.

In my experience, lots of people Dump their bio-children, they are just much more likely to find a family member or friend who is willing to take them. It's easier to dump a bio kid on grandma, because grandmas known the kid since birth. Harder with an adopted kid who hasn't been around for long.

Archived