IGNORED

Swimming Pool Baptism

slickcat79

Sarah at Heart's Desire has gotten her little boy baptised. He has been WAITING for this day for a year and a half, since accepting Jesus as his savior at the age of 4 :roll:

Apparently their best option for this special event was Ye Olde Baptismal Swimming Pool. The kid, the pastor, the dad and at least one other person waded into the shallow end of the pool, fully dressed in their Sunday best...belts, ties, the works :evil-eye: I find the full dunking to be a little OTT in general, but is it really necessary to get your dress clothes soggy with chlorinated water to please the LORD? It also seems like it would be nice to avoid having to drive back home with half the family in soaking wet clothes, but maybe that's just me. I can't decide if this is an improvement over Lina's swimming pool mikvah or not :think:

sarah-heartsdesire.blogspot.com/2014/03/dylans-baptism.html

It's very common at Church Camp to be baptized in the swimming pool. This is not far-right. It's pretty normal in any type church that batpizes by immersion.

I'm not too bothered by this (but keep in mind this is totally normal, as I was raised evangelical). I think wearing dress clothes is silly-- I've always heard people welcomed/encouraged to wear sports clothes when getting baptized. I'd assume they brought a change of clothes for the wet folks so that they don't have to drive back in wet clothes. That tends to be par-for-the-course with planned baptisms.

My main issue is his age-- I think that people should wait until their faith decision is a little more individual/personal before they get baptized. It's pretty standard for even mainstream Christianity, though.

I've seen lots of swimming pool baptisms. My old church met in a YMCA building and they did all their baptisms in the big indoor pool. They never let anyone ride the water slide down to be baptized, though, so that was a disappointment.

Nice clothes are normal for a baptism, and you usually bring along dry clothes to change into. I've also seen baptisms where everyone was wearing swimsuits, so it can vary.

I'm not too bothered by this (but keep in mind this is totally normal, as I was raised evangelical). I think wearing dress clothes is silly-- I've always heard people welcomed/encouraged to wear sports clothes when getting baptized. I'd assume they brought a change of clothes for the wet folks so that they don't have to drive back in wet clothes. That tends to be par-for-the-course with planned baptisms.

My main issue is his age-- I think that people should wait until their faith decision is a little more individual/personal before they get baptized. It's pretty standard for even mainstream Christianity, though.

I was baptized in the Catholic Church as an adult. This parish had a baptismal font with about 16-18 inches of water that we actually went into and were on our knees to be baptized. We wore baptismal robes over our clothing and were encouraged to just wear shorts/t-shirts under it. There was a brief time to change into something more formal immediately after.

I was baptized in the Catholic Church as an adult. This parish had a baptismal font with about 16-18 inches of water that we actually went into and were on our knees to be baptized. We wore baptismal robes over our clothing and were encouraged to just wear shorts/t-shirts under it. There was a brief time to change into something more formal immediately after.

This is the only type of immersion baptism I've ever seen, although that was a baptist church and not catholic. The pool seems to take something away from an oh-so-meaningful occasion. But then again I'm of the opinion that dunking someone in water has no actual effect on anything, so maybe I'm misunderstanding the motivation.

This is the only type of immersion baptism I've ever seen, although that was a baptist church and not catholic. The pool seems to take something away from an oh-so-meaningful occasion. But then again I'm of the opinion that dunking someone in water has no actual effect on anything, so maybe I'm misunderstanding the motivation.

The way most (I think, though I have no proof beyond experience) Christians view baptism is as a symbol/public commitment to Christ, not as an act that actually DOES anything, if you know what I mean. It represents dying to your old self and being raised back to life in Christ, which I still find a meaningful metaphor, despite moving away from evangelical/conservative Christianity. It's definitely something where the person/people involved give meaning to it. The people getting baptized are generally very excited to be doing so which is what I feel contributes to the oh-so-meaningful-ness of it rather than the formality of the event.

It's a bit like a wedding, to me-- you don't need the pomp and circumstance to make it mean something. Even with two witnesses and a justice of the peace, the two folks involved still get full "meaning" from the ceremony as long as they are serious about it.

The way most (I think, though I have no proof beyond experience) Christians view baptism is as a symbol/public commitment to Christ, not as an act that actually DOES anything, if you know what I mean. It represents dying to your old self and being raised back to life in Christ, which I still find a meaningful metaphor, despite moving away from evangelical/conservative Christianity. It's definitely something where the person/people involved give meaning to it. The people getting baptized are generally very excited to be doing so which is what I feel contributes to the oh-so-meaningful-ness of it rather than the formality of the event.

It's a bit like a wedding, to me-- you don't need the pomp and circumstance to make it mean something. Even with two witnesses and a justice of the peace, the two folks involved still get full "meaning" from the ceremony as long as they are serious about it.

I can see that, but then I find it even weirder that you would want to be fully dunked in a man-made pool full of chemicals in your dress clothes. If it's just a symbol, wouldn't a few drops of water sprinkled on your head (in an actual church, or meaningful place in nature) make more sense?

I would actually find it hard to take a swimming pool baptism seriously. It's like they're getting too hung up on the water aspect, instead of the symbol behind it.

Some people feel like the dunking part in some groups is over emphasized over the meaning and it being part of a church service.

I'm liturgical in background and the churches I've attended would never do a swimming pool baptism. The churches either had a baptismal font or poured or sprinkled water complete with a service describing the act, it's meaning, and requiring participation from the witnesses. Frequently the baptism was part of, preceded, or followed a regular church service.

To other groups it's very different and it's more the total immersion and saying "In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit" and that's all there is.

My first reaction was to think that a swimming pool baptism took away some of the grandeur. Then I remembered my trip to Israel when I went to the Jordan River and saw people lining up to get baptized in filthy, animal-infested water, and decided that maybe a swimming pool wasn't so bad.

The issue with Lina's swimming pool mikvah is that a dip in the mikvah is supposed to be done entirely naked, which is a bit difficult to do modestly at a public pool during regular hours.

I can see that, but then I find it even weirder that you would want to be fully dunked in a man-made pool full of chemicals in your dress clothes. If it's just a symbol, wouldn't a few drops of water sprinkled on your head (in an actual church, or meaningful place in nature) make more sense?

I would actually find it hard to take a swimming pool baptism seriously. It's like they're getting too hung up on the water aspect, instead of the symbol behind it.

I think that is a little different symbolically. Note that, as a Christian, I have no problem with other Christians being sprinkled as baptism or not getting baptized at all. It's a very YMMV situation for me. Personally, to me a few drops would signal a cleansing which is not exactly the same as being made a new person-- dying to the old you and being made a new creation in Christ. I respect that to others, the difference in symbolism may not be there, and they should do whatever they want because, like you said, it's just a symbol.

I don't follow these particular fundies, but if they are pretty fundamentalist-y, they are probably opposed to baptism-by-sprinkling which I think is close-minded and silly. But choosing to be baptized by immersion, even when you need a pool to do it? No big deal, I think. It means something different to them than sprinkling would.

My first reaction was to think that a swimming pool baptism took away some of the grandeur. Then I remembered my trip to Israel when I went to the Jordan River and saw people lining up to get baptized in filthy, animal-infested water, and decided that maybe a swimming pool wasn't so bad.

The issue with Lina's swimming pool mikvah is that a dip in the mikvah is supposed to be done entirely naked, which is a bit difficult to do modestly at a public pool during regular hours.

My aunt and uncle were living in Israel at the time my brother was baptized, and they offered to send my parents water from the Jordan to use in the service. Mom said, "Are you kidding? I've seen the Jordan. I'm not putting that on my child's head."

My priest went to Israel and brought home two jugs of water from the Jordan. (Note, this was pre-9/11). The parents in the congregation made her send the water to the local university to be have the silt/contaminates removed from it.

I've seen one swimming pool baptism, when I was around 14 or 15 and attended a friend's church. I remember finding it very strange, because it took place in the small swimming pool of the local Best Western. It was a dress clothes sort of affair, and I remember thinking how much it must have sucked to have a sopping wet ankle-length dress on!

Full immersion is very important to these Christians, so a sprinkling wouldn't have the same symbolism to them. Growing up the way I did, I guess I'd see just sprinkling because you don't want to use a swimming pool as getting too hung up on the location of the baptism, instead of the symbol behind it. Different branches of Christianity just have different priorities when it comes to baptism. For example, if Mormons have even a toe pop out of the water during their baptism, they have to redo it, but Evangelicals don't usually get that picky about total immersion.

It's not terribly uncommon. We've had them in lakes and pools here.. I haven't seen people wear dress clothes in the pool though. Usually sports type casual.. (The only pool baptisms I've seen were at camp)

I grew up Catholic, but I've been to one "full immersion" type baptism. Actually, the guy was trying to get ME to be baptized as well, and when I told him I was already baptized he went all "Mary is an idol and your baptism doesn't count." But that's another story. I found the baptism I attended to be very strange. For one, it was in what appeared to be a fountain. The girl being baptized wore her swim suit with basketball shorts and an oversized teeshirt over it, and the minister wore shorts and a shirt and tie. He basically threw her in the water after saying some words, we all clapped and then went to a very boring reception with no singing or dancing.

I find the whole concept of baptism very strange. I get the "being born anew" within the church and the symbolism of water and washing away sins. But I don't understand the need for groups to have these ritual ceremonies to prove you are a member of their group. It must be some sort of human thing, because so many people do it. Sorority, Fraternities, gangs, churches, even some businesses have ceremonies for their workers.

I find the whole concept of baptism very strange. I get the "being born anew" within the church and the symbolism of water and washing away sins. But I don't understand the need for groups to have these ritual ceremonies to prove you are a member of their group. It must be some sort of human thing, because so many people do it. Sorority, Fraternities, gangs, churches, even some businesses have ceremonies for their workers.

The rituals and ceremonies help form the bond among members of the group. You know, the whole "we went through it together and it was so special" kind of thing. The conservative church I attended had a baptismal font in the sanctuary, but also encouraged youth group members to make the commitment to Christ at youth camp. The youth camp we attended used the campus swimming pool (camp was held on a Baptist college campus) for baptism. Those being baptized went to the dorms to change into swimming suits, shorts and T-shirts, then went back to the pool. I actually remember my baptism in the campus pool as being a very intense moment, but youth camp is incredibly well-engineered to produce that type of experience.

My brother was baptized in the baptismal font and said it was freezing cold, which made it distracting from the actual experience. I much preferred my warm pool baptism. :)

There was a swimming pool type baptistry behind a Southern Baptist church near our house growing up. Us kids always wished they'd fill it up and let us kids swim in it during the summer. Our church had the baptistry indoors behind the altar like a civilized church should.

I've actually been to a river baptism many years ago. I think that the river's been damned up now.

I think it was on the show Big Rich Texas where they showed a swimming pool baptism a few years ago. Yeah, it struck me as tacky and over-the-top.

When I got baptized by immersion, I wore a light blue baptismal robe with a swimsuit underneath. Since no one could see it, it could've been a bikini.

After the baptism, I changed back into a dress. I had wet hair, but that was it.

I was baptized in a baptistery and they forgot to turn on the bit water.

The pastor and I practiced beforehand so I would know when to take a breath as I went under.

And I don't know of anyone else on Planet Adventist who did it any differently. Why would you go home in soaking clothes? That's just a food way to get sick.

Not to mention the chlorine totally ruining your good clothes. Waste of good resources, that.

I've been to one baptism at a Baptist church, but it was inside behind the alter. I remember laughing when I saw the colourful bathing suits through the wet white gowns. I was about ten. Never chose to be baptized and my family eventually stopped attending church by the time I was in my teens (except for Easter and Mother's Day).

I've been to a few Christenings where the baby is baptized with a few drops of water.

I think it would be cool to see some Baptisms in a river or ocean.

In my neck of the woods baptisms in some churches are done in shallow creeks and streams weather permitting.

I got "saved" and baptized at a very young age. Our church didn't have a baptism pool so we had to go to another church for the baptism service. Being a small child and having never seen a baptism I was extremely disappointed that it wasn't an actual pool and that it was just a quick dunk under the water while the pastor said:

Buried with Him in baptism, raised to live a new life in Him.

Archived