IGNORED

Cool coming out story

RachelB

A currently active college football player came out-- the first time that's ever happened-- and Out Sports wrote about it:

http://www.outsports.com/2014/1/28/5348 ... all-kicker

(not breaking the link, because they won't care)

One bittersweet aspect of the story: Mertens credits the Christian organization Young Life with giving him the integrity and strength to come out in the first place, and he was gutted to find out that coming out meant he no longer had any place in that organization.

Young Life said:

"We do not in any way wish to exclude persons who engage in sexual misconduct or who practice a homosexual lifestyle from being recipients of ministry of God's grace and mercy as expressed in Jesus Christ. We do, however, believe that such persons are not to serve as staff or volunteers in the mission and work of Young Life."

Hypocrites.

I couldn't read the letter that Mertens sent to his hometown. If anyone could read it and type it out I'd love to read it. Pictures of a post aren't always able to be read by others.

Anyway, I'm glad that when Conner came out, he was not only applauded and accepted by his teammates, but that many of them publicly made their support known.

I look forward to the time when a person can simply state that he or she is LGBT and have others simply accept it and not freak out about it.

Archived