IGNORED

Because by simply praying, it'll all work out.

EllieCee

Today at church, the priest said a homily about prayer.

He told this story about a woman who's marriage was in the dumps and she faithfully prayed for 30 years, and that's all she did. Her prayers came true after 30 years. He didn't go into detail how, but he claims the moral of the story is that because of the woman's faith and prayers, she was finally answered.

What bothers me the most about this is sometimes people use prayer to avoid actually doing something about it. Whilst I'm not religious (parents take me to church as I don't have the guts to tell them), I don't think there's anything wrong with people praying for strength while confronting or doing something important. However, I dislike it when people use prayers as an excuse to not do something. You cannot rely on prayers only and hope god answers them if you pray enough. I don't understand why that woman didn't just simply get a marriage counselor. While with that, she could also be praying on the side for strength to go through with it.

If something is going wrong, and you have the ability to fix or do something about it, I don't think you should use praying as an excuse to not do it. Do something about it and if you like, pray for strength while doing so.

I'm not so sure it's a selling point that it takes 30 years for prayers to do the job. What is god doing for those 30 years? Making sure the Maxwells get unstuck or have perfect weather for their one day of fun for the year?

If the only thing she did, truly, was pray, I'm surprised her husband didn't leave her before the 30 years had passed. Who wants to be married someone who doesn't bother to try?

No thanks. I'd rather take action and take care of it to the best of my own ability.

I can just see it. hubby: lets have sex I really want to be close to you.

wife: no I am praying to make our marriage better I don't have time.

I have an appraiser coming this week and I have been cleaning all day and have many hours ahead of me. If I start praying really hard now, will I wake up with a super clean house before the appraiser comes? :whistle: I don't have 30 years, I need it done NOW.

Where do priest/pastors come up with these stories?

If you're miserable, sure pray, but do something in the mean time!

I think it's interesting that I see fundies (aka, the Maxwells) praying for things like good weather and other trivial crap, and never for things like strength or wisdom. When I pray these days, that's typically what I pray for--not for actual things or events, but for the fortitude to deal with life. A prayer like "please help me to get the courage to talk to my lawyer about a divorce" is probably FAR more likely to be "answered" than "please help my husband to stop drinking."

God is not a cosmic (procrastinating) vending machine.

If anything, that'd be discouraging people from doing nothing but praying, I think. I mean, if it takes 30 years, it obviously isn't working well. I'd want something to change far quicker than that. Does she not think God gave her the capabilities to change her own life in ways other than prayer? I kind of doubt this story (mostly the part about how everything was magically okay), though I don't doubt there are people who would stay in an unhappy marriage for years doing nothing except praying.

Anyone ever see Morgan Freeman's view of how god answers prayers in the movie Evan Almighty? Even though I don't believe in god, I think it is a fabulous way of viewing prayers and answers to them.

http://youtu.be/KDDqCgV9jWo

edited for extra letters that don't belong in words. Twice, dammit!

As a Christian I find this kind of strange. Obviously, I think prayer is a good thing, but most of the time prayer needs to be combined with action. For example, praying about the right thing to do in a situation and then doing it!

I pray but I also believe that "God helps those who help themselves". A few months ago when we moved and my husband needed to find a job, I prayed but I ALSO was online for a couple hours every day looking at job description on every job site I could find while he was at work.

Anyone ever see Morgan Freeman's view of how god answers prayers in the movie Evan Almighty? Even though I don't believe in god, I think it is a fabulous way of viewing prayers and answers to them.

http://youtu.be/KDDqCgV9jWo

edited for extra letters that don't belong in words. Twice, dammit!

I also loved that scene and I also don't believe in God.

I do believe that positive thinking which is like prayer is a good thing.

"

Her prayers came true after 30 years. He didn't go into detail how, but he claims the moral of the story is that because of the woman's faith and prayers, she was finally answered.
"

So, is there a funeral or wake scheduled for this lady's husband? :whistle:

Where do priest/pastors come up with these stories?

If you're miserable, sure pray, but do something in the mean time!

I think it's interesting that I see fundies (aka, the Maxwells) praying for things like good weather and other trivial crap, and never for things like strength or wisdom. When I pray these days, that's typically what I pray for--not for actual things or events, but for the fortitude to deal with life. A prayer like "please help me to get the courage to talk to my lawyer about a divorce" is probably FAR more likely to be "answered" than "please help my husband to stop drinking."

God is not a cosmic (procrastinating) vending machine.

This. Pray and pray, but use your god-given abilities and brain to make something happen.

I have a friend who always says "get on your knees and pray, then get up on your feet and work".

I love that saying and the attitude behind it. I do think God answers prayers, but I think most of the time praying just helps us focus on the problem and see what we are supposed to do to help solve it.

I do wonder if the "answer" to the woman's prayers after 30 years wasn't either him dying or becoming a Christian, because that's how those stories seem to go. If it was more of a "bad marriage" situation, I would hope they did more to fix things than just praying, but even then I bet praying for that long changed the way she acted and thought about her husband and marriage, so it still would not have been the only change.

Archived