IGNORED

Where do they even come up with this stuff? - Bachmann

O Latin

Apparently that's a pretty common idea among the fringe groups (dominionists, Reconstructionists etc). In addition to blaming The Enlightenment, they also blame the Renaissance for making our society more "worldly" and "turning us away from God". I find it ironic because the Reformation emerged in the same period.

I might even argue that the Renaissance caused the Reformation, since Luther's major beef with the Catholic Church was the selling of indulgences, and part of the reason the Church was selling indulgences was to pay for all the Renaissance art it was commissioning.

And the middle ages weren't super "Godly," especially not in the way these fruit loops think everyone should be.

If we all remained in the dark ages we'd all be catholic.

Somehow the Renaissance probably all stems from the Roman Catholic Church anyway, that great whore of Babylon! You can only see the light of truth about it when you stand in the right wing.

I might even argue that the Renaissance caused the Reformation, since Luther's major beef with the Catholic Church was the selling of indulgences, and part of the reason the Church was selling indulgences was to pay for all the Renaissance art it was commissioning.

And the middle ages weren't super "Godly," especially not in the way these fruit loops think everyone should be.

They sure weren't, think mixed bathing houses and stuff!

Luther was against selling indulgences,but his developing theology differed more and more from the catholic church: The view on the church and her authority (sola scriptura) and how you get saved (sola gratia/fide).

If selling indulgences had been the problem, the churches should have been reunited by now, as indulgences are no longer SOLD, albeit they are still in existence.

I'd like it better to see everyone catholic or orthodox than protestant, for purely aesthetic reasons. Much more colourful. And where else do you get to see grown men play dress-up with such sincerity?!

I guess she doesn't get that without the Renaissance, the church she belongs to wouldn't exist as it needed the Protestant Reformation first.

Apparently that's a pretty common idea among the fringe groups (dominionists, Reconstructionists etc). In addition to blaming The Enlightenment, they also blame the Renaissance for making our society more "worldly" and "turning us away from God". I find it ironic because the Reformation emerged in the same period.

It's the idea of humanism they seem to take issue with. Even though Christian humanism exists.

I think it really tells you something about these people that they believe that what is widly regarded as one of the pinnacles of human enlightenment and progress was one of the downfalls of our world.

It's the idea of humanism they seem to take issue with. Even though Christian humanism exists.

Which is even funnier because most of the humanists of the Renaissance were Christians. Erasmus, More, Henry VIII (the early years).

Archived