IGNORED

Change from Straight to Gay?

jericho

My opinion on her may be a bit skewed since everything I know about her show I learned from "The Soup" but I wouldn't wish her on any man or woman.

Guest Anonymous
So apparently if you are straight, you can change to gay, but not the other way around.

http://joybehar.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/08/is-lesbianism-in-kate-gosselins-future/?iref=obnetwork

How did you come to that conclusion from the video? Did you watch something different from what I watched? Joy jokingly suggests that Kate might have better luck with a woman and Kate flat out says that's not for her. There's nothing about anyone actually changing from straight to gay.

*Edited for clarity.

Joy implied through her joke that you could just turn gay. I don't find that offensive, but I do find it hypocritical since she would never imply (even jokingly) that a gay person could turn straight.

Guest Anonymous

My best girlfriend came out after her divorce. Definitely not a case of "changing from straight to gay", more "changing into someone who finally realized her happiness mattered".

I don't even think straight-or-gay is either-or. It's a spectrum that everybody is on, to varying degress, and as society is finally becoming more accepting, perhaps people around the middle of that spectrum realize there's no shame in being gay anymore, so why not give it a go?

Guest Anonymous
Joy implied through her joke that you could just turn gay. I don't find that offensive, but I do find it hypocritical since she would never imply (even jokingly) that a gay person could turn straight.

Since there's no history of straight people being raped, beaten up, lobotomized, and subjected to electroshock therapy in an attempt to turn them gay, there's a huge difference in context. I get where you're coming from but I think that context has a lot of weight here in why someone might say one and not the other.

I don't even think straight-or-gay is either-or. It's a spectrum that everybody is on, to varying degress, and as society is finally becoming more accepting, perhaps people around the middle of that spectrum realize there's no shame in being gay anymore, so why not give it a go?

Also, this.

Well I really do hate the idea that being gay is about having trouble or hating the sex that you would normally date. Sadly, this is a common myth. But no matter how badly a man treated me, I simply could not become physically attracted to a woman. If for some reason I did give up on men, I would be celibate but still not a lesbian. There are plenty of cases of genuinely gay people coming out of the closet after a break up (quite often the break up is because they finally realize they can't continue to live a lie). And there are also plenty of bisexual people.

My best girlfriend came out after her divorce. Definitely not a case of "changing from straight to gay", more "changing into someone who finally realized her happiness mattered".

From what I've seen, women are far more likely to fall somewhere in the middle of the continuum (i.e. bisexual). With men, they're usually either gay or straight.

I'm fairly sure I've seen Behar make jokes to gay men about "turning" just for her. My mom loves her so I've had to watch a ton of clips of her.

Archived