IGNORED

Interesting Interview - Michele Bachmann, dominionism, etc

liltwinstar

Well, isn't this interesting?

On Bachmann's selection of a Robert E. Lee biography by J. Steven Wilkins as a book recommendation during her state Senate campaign:

"For a number of years, Michele Bachmann's personal website had a list of books she recommended people read. It was called 'Michelle's must-read list.' I was looking over the list and noticed this biography of Lee by Wilkins. [i had] never heard of Wilkins and started looking at who he was. And frankly couldn't believe that she was recommending this book."

"Wilkins has combined a Christian conservatism with neoconservative views and developed what is known as the theological war thesis. This is an idea that says the best way to understand the Civil War is to see it in religious terms, and [that] the South was an Orthodox Christian nation attacked by the godless North and that what was really lost after the Civil War was one of the pinnacles of Christian society. This insane view of the Civil War has been successfully injected into some of the Christian home-schooling movement curriculums with the help of [Wilkins]. My guess is this is how she encountered the guy at some point. ... She recommended this book on her website for a number of years. It is an objectively pro-slavery book and one of the most startling things I learned about her in this piece."

I live in her district. My parents from far away said she seems very bright. I burst out laughing when this came up so I shared some tidbits from her local rallies. They asked me if I was sure I wasn't taking her statements out of context. I said, no its just that the mainstream seems afraid to spout her really crazy stuff to the entire nation. Stuff like: we should abolish the public school system, if people won't work, let them starve etc...

Well, isn't this interesting?

On Bachmann's selection of a Robert E. Lee biography by J. Steven Wilkins as a book recommendation during her state Senate campaign:

"For a number of years, Michele Bachmann's personal website had a list of books she recommended people read. It was called 'Michelle's must-read list.' I was looking over the list and noticed this biography of Lee by Wilkins. [i had] never heard of Wilkins and started looking at who he was. And frankly couldn't believe that she was recommending this book."

"Wilkins has combined a Christian conservatism with neoconservative views and developed what is known as the theological war thesis. This is an idea that says the best way to understand the Civil War is to see it in religious terms, and [that] the South was an Orthodox Christian nation attacked by the godless North and that what was really lost after the Civil War was one of the pinnacles of Christian society. This insane view of the Civil War has been successfully injected into some of the Christian home-schooling movement curriculums with the help of [Wilkins]. My guess is this is how she encountered the guy at some point. ... She recommended this book on her website for a number of years. It is an objectively pro-slavery book and one of the most startling things I learned about her in this piece."

Oh that's rich. Let's put up someone who may or may not be pro-slavery against a black man.

The more I learn about her the more I want her to run against Obama-just for the joke factor.

The more I learn about her the more I want her to run against Obama-just for the joke factor.

The late night comedians wouldn't even need writers, the jokes would write themselves.

Gloria Steinem is on Joy Behar right now commenting on Bachmann's weird Newsweek cover. lol

I don't pay too much attention to Newsweek, but I do really hope that sometime in the past 5 years they've had a female politician on the cover and actually look decent.

First the Sarah Palin lip hair and now this.... I don't know how I feel about it.

I agree, putting up a shitty picture of someone proves nothing except that the editors are assholes.

She gives plenty of legitimate reason to snark without that bs.

I heard this interview. There have been a few other NPR reports on her, each one exposing a little more of the crazy. (a friend once picked me up to go somewhere totally amazed that there could still be colleges that taught young earth creationism, after hearing one..)

I think that the part that the mainstream needs to hear was the part about how if your worldview is that non-Christians are always against you, you're not going to change your mind when they try to discuss, because they are the enemy.

I hear what some are saying, but I agree with Gloria Steinem. The test for sexism is "would they do this to/for a man", and I personally think they would. Whatever the "this" is, because I'm not even sure they've "done" anything to her. If the male version of her was running for president, I don't think it would be any different. So, no, I'm not buying the sexist argument.

And she clearly posed for this portrait. I don't know if she posed for it specifically for Newsweek, but it's clearly a portrait that she sat for. She knew she was being photographed and presumably was putting her best face forward, so to speak, and that's what she produced. AND, it does fairly portray the way she actually looks much of the time, if the newsclips of her on the campaign trail are any indication. She DOES have some crazy-looking eyes, which may or may not have much to do with the fact that she is actually BSC.

Bachmann is batsh*t crazy that's for sure. I've lived in her district for the last 4 years and I hate that she is my representive. The sucky thing is my friends believe in no public school or stuff like that. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I guess when all your friends have been to private school when you went to public then that would cause quite a disagreement about public schools. Honestly, all this stuff coming out of her mouth and woodwork doesn't really surprise me. The thing that has surprised me that it has taken this long for someone to highlight her odd beliefs.

BTW, their is a very good women senator from her state. Her name is Amy Klobacher. She's the sane one and doesn't like the spotlight. She does her job and serves the best she can.

• 2 weeks later...

My pal Jocelyn Andersen challenges Bachmann in the Orlando Sentinel

articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-08-23/news/os-ed-michele-bachmann-theology-0823120110822_1_michele-bachmann-male-headship-beliefs

Submissive question: We have a right to know sacred beliefs

August 23, 2011|By Jocelyn Andersen | Guest columnist

The Bachmanns attend a Baptist church that utilizes radical complementarian ministries, such as Dennis Rainey's Family Life ministry, as part of its marriage and family counseling resources.

It is safe to bet that Bachmann, who said, "The Lord says: Be submissive, wives. You are to be submissive to your husbands," will submit to her husband, even in the Oval Office if she makes it. And that is entirely her business — until her sacred beliefs clash with her duty to promote the best interest of the American people.

Even if the Bachmanns do not use the term, complementarian, to describe their marriage, Michele Bachmann's statement about submissive wives reveals they are, indeed, complementarian Christians. Degrees of complementarianism vary from church to church and even from couple to couple, but the basic tenet that women are subordinate to men — especially to husbands — is a constant in all versions of the paradigm, which is nothing less than a caste system based on sex.

And while it is true that not all Christians entirely agree with what their church or denomination teaches concerning male headship, serious research into candidates' sacred belief systems is, nevertheless, imperative. If this aspect of a candidate's world view is ignored, belief systems such as complementarian male headship will continue to produce serious consequences in the lives of Americans.

Archived