IGNORED

Should have just stuck with the Kolache Factory...

silversurealism

It is so disappointing when you spend hours making something and it doesn't turn out. Good luck with the pie. I have a fundamental problem making pie crusts and mine never work.

I think they're cute! I do know the feeling of spending tons of time (and sometimes money) and having something not turn out the way you want. heck, even experienced bakers have disasters sometimes. I hope your next experiments are successful! For pies, I recommend the pastry primer on allrecipes, and the no-fail pie crust on the same site. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Man I'm late to the game here!

I grew up in a community that was very very Czech (I'm 1/4 myself :D ) and one of my favorite things to eat are poppyseed kolaches. However, making them yourself, they are very hard to get right.

What recipe did you use? It looks like the bun part rose pretty significantly during baking...I'm guessing it had something to do with the yeast you may have been using?

I wish I had got my great Auntie's recipe before she passed on. She used duck fat in hers, and it gave the kolaches an amazing flavor.

Archived