IGNORED

Positive Reviews of The Book, Its Not That Complicated

debrand

I was doing a search on Its Not That Complicated to discover if any other bloggers had reviewed it. Although I know that fundies have a different way of viewing the world, I honestly thought that more people would be offended by it. The good reviews have astonished me. Perhaps some of you might be interested in how people can psychologically look past the many troubling aspects of the book.

hopewriter.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/its-not-that-complicated/

I do not know this writer's age.

About four years ago, I prayed earnestly for God to give me a clear sign about a young man. Was he “The Oneâ€, or wasn’t he? The answer I received was not at all what I was expecting. It wasn’t a yes or a no. It was one word: prepare. I remember sitting on my bed, in shock.

I'm not a religious person so this seems silly to me. There are people starving, children being tortured and wars going on but her god is interested in love life? And what exactly is she going to prepare for? That sounds ominous....like your husband is going to turn into a werewolf or something.

A good friend let me borrow It’s (Not That) Complicated last week. I couldn’t put it down! I was addicted, reading it in every spare second. I’m not one to read lots of relationship how-to manuals and survival guides, but It’s (Not That) Complicated was by far the best relationship advice book I have ever read.

How does she get past the Botkins wishing that young women could see their friends publically murdered so that flirting will end?

causeforjoy.com/2013/01/15/flirtationships-of-the-heart/

Again, I don't know the girl's age.

I have to stop giving my heart the benefit of the doubt.

Recognize it for what it is… And however painfully recognize the hundred thousand little ways in which I feed it daily. A bit of Jane Austen here, a bit of BBC there, a bit of emailing here, a bit of texting there (“ok, maybe I do like him but the talking is totally innocent!â€)

The positive reviews of this book makes me very sad. These girls are cutting themselves off from normal relationships not because of anything that their own holy book states but because of some modern day belief system.

It also irks me that so many fundies make it sound like your emotions are separate from your brain.

shiningstarsmagazine.com/2012/05/12/book-review-and-giveaway-its-not-that-complicated/

Troubling enough, Shining Star Magazine is a tad worried that the Botkins encourage male/female relationships.

Coming from the perspective of the-least-amount-of-interaction-between-guys-and-girls-the-better, I am hesitant to endorse the idea that girls and guys should be friendly with each other. It’s much safer to keep a far distance.

avoidingthetcc.blogspot.com/2013/05/its-not-complicated.html

Avoidingthetcc, looks very young so I won't snark on her but she writes another glowing review of the book

There are other blogs, equally depressing. The fact that a few parents don't have the critical thinking skills or respect for their daughters to realize how harmful this book is disturbs me.

.generation-impact.com/archives/3977

Oh, good grief. I am religous and I think these people are ridiculous. Not all Christians are as self-serving and self-absorbed as these commentors seem to be...we are not all so fixated on the state of marriage that we cannot do anything but "prepare" for it or worry over ever text and BBC program and how that will influence our relationship with men.

In fact, I would tell these ladies that the best preparation is volunteering, thinking, reading, doing...and that they would do themselves a huge favor by thinking of others more than themselves...starting with giving up spending all this time and energy and effort into thinking and reading and obsessing over the spouse they want God to give them.

Oh, good grief. I am religous and I think these people are ridiculous. Not all Christians are as self-serving and self-absorbed as these commentors seem to be...we are not all so fixated on the state of marriage that we cannot do anything but "prepare" for it or worry over ever text and BBC program and how that will influence our relationship with men.

In fact, I would tell these ladies that the best preparation is volunteering, thinking, reading, doing...and that they would do themselves a huge favor by thinking of others more than themselves...starting with giving up spending all this time and energy and effort into thinking and reading and obsessing over the spouse they want God to give them.

This. So much this.

I call these blogs written by young Christian females "fundie booty call." For those in isolated circumstances, blogging is one of the few ways they have to make themselves known to the young men they're hoping to attract.

My theory is that positive product reviews like these are code for "Look, I can suspend my critical thinking skills and gulp down the Kool-Aid with the best of 'em! Pick me, pick me!!"

I call these blogs written by young Christian females "fundie booty call." For those in isolated circumstances, blogging is one of the few ways they have to make themselves known to the young men they're hoping to attract.

My theory is that positive product reviews like these are code for "Look, I can suspend my critical thinking skills and gulp down the Kool-Aid with the best of 'em! Pick me, pick me!!"

Notice that blogs by fundie, young men get lots of comments from young, fundie females.

I think they can look past the troubling aspects because they're young and haven't yet learned to spot creepiness. It's kind of like how millions of teenage girls can read Twilight and not find Edward's character sketchy and disturbing.

Archived